Religion. Basis Of Belief

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by rastafari_mon, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Maybe. Or maybe it's a process that occurs beyond our conscious mind, and our conscious mind just rationalizes it.

Well, certainly belief in, and perceived experiences of, reality tunnels, would itself be part of a reality tunnel. Taken to the extreme, it's just this idea of relativity. Truth is the reality of experience. Experience is filtered and given color largely by beliefs and pre-conceptions. The reality of the subjective experience resulting from beliefs, pre-conceptions, and any number of other factors, is the reality tunnel.

2. Organised religion is totally irrelevant in today's modern society. It only holds us back as a species from proper spiritual development. Times change, but religion often demands blind faith in "absolute" truth, and naturally resists changes which restricts our advancement as a species.

The basis of belief is mostly for one's peace of mind. Religion is like a cop-out where you believe in a blissful afterlife so you don't have to deal with the truth of your own impermanence and inevitable death. You find a community to define your ideals and attitudes to the world to keep yourself distracted from your own insecurity and lack of understanding.

What's even worse is that religion has become an authority which abuses this fear in order to control the masses. Religion divides people and I don't think we need any more division in this world.

I was devoutly religious, growing up in a strict Roman Catholic household. I understand the degree to which religious people feel absolutely convinced of their faith. It's a very tough hold to break and many actively choose not to break it because of a deeply embedded sense of denial, developed by their indoctrinated upbringing.

"It's all bullshit, folks. And it's bad for ya!" - George Carlin (RIP)

3. If people are telling you to cut certain people out of your life, that is not a Christian idea. Who did Jesus eat dinner with on many occasions? Who did Jesus talk to at the wel