Religion. Basis Of Belief

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by rastafari_mon, Aug 19, 2014.

1. I grew up in a Christian house. I started realizing that being "Christian" also meant cutting certain people out of your life because of the life style they choose to live. That didn't make sense to me when all I heard from my parents and church was "God is love" and "God loves you, me, and everyone in between" and other bullshit like that. I've strayed from religion and now don't believe in anything just that I'm on the earth today and I'm going to make to best of it and with this way of life I have met people and done things I would never normally do if I was "Christian". So this leads me to believe if religion was created to give narrow minded people an "answer" to life or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. God has no religion no team if there is one laddey my own opinion :D

Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 waktoo, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Religious belief is based upon the mythology that preceded it...

The idea of "God" is a construct of man's mind. Not the other way around...

It's truly a pity that the majority of people on this planet continue to hold to such pre-historic rhetoric. Indoctrination is a very powerful tool. It allows for fantastical ideas to occupy the brain space that should be dedicated to reasoned thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. It's a man forged idea. It was invented as one of or both of the following; it was our first attempt at explaining the world around us. But more so it was created to control the masses. 

Which is a more powerful threat? That which will subject you to a finite punishment in this life, or the one who will torture you forever? It is a creation of those who wish to enlist a theocracy in the only life that really exists. 

The only reason it is still around is due to the fact that the vast majority of people do not question this invisible authority. Thankfully the number of those who do not believe in a god is rising and I believe that we are slowly but surely reaching the age of reason.

5. Sadly, we live in a time where religions have been so thoroughly and independently established that it is hard to see through the bullshit. It is beneficial to take a little time and read a wide range of religious texts, because a trend reveals itself in what they are saying in regards to living an enlightened life. They talk of a way to end all suffering, and they are really telling it straight, how it is.

From my point of view, all religions were derived from one, and each group of people kind of skewed it in order to better fit their understanding of the world.  "The way is the way is the way" - Ram Dass

Religion was not created to give the "narrow minded" an answer to life, it was created so that those with open minds can fully realize the truth.  Religion is not the problem, it is people's ignorance when it comes to thinking that their religion is the only valid one.  

It is good that you are questioning religion as a whole, this is the first step towards a new and intuitively valid perception of this world. Keep asking "Why" and looking at it from every perspective possible (even scientific and atheist perspectives), and the path will be visible in no time!

• Like Like x 1
  6. You entirely sure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Reasonable sure. Waste no time for unreasonable and all ancient tribal fables. Do not protect the one's men have cherry picked for you.

8. Do you believe God exists?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Worst case scenario religion is a ruse to give people false hope only to be abused by extremist and con-men.

Best case scenario it's a map toward genuine, spiritual transcendence.

I say you're better off talking Pascal's wager and believe in the second possibility just in case.

10. By that line of reasoning though, couldn't anyone just make up any belief system that just says the worst thing imaginable happens if you don't believe or act correctly, and the way of determining what to believe is simply the one that has the worst consequences for not believing?

11. #11 Messiah Decoy, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    You certainly have a point but my own personal reasoning wonders why a religion is popular around me. Is that the religion God chose for me since it's the popular religion in my area?

From there I take Pascal's wager.

12. Pascal's wager fails on so many accounts and is a terrible reason to believe something.

It doesn't take in to account the losses you receive and bad things you take on by believing it.

It doesn't take in to account other religions for which the same argument could be made for. Idon't know how much time you've spent worry g about other heavens and hell's . I doubt it's very much. There are thousands of religions and even more God's in each. If I withold my belief, statistically speaking I hold a better chance of salvation. Why? Because there may very well be several God's that would reward scepticism. So you really take more of a risk than I do.

And, if you take pascal's wager don't you think your god would know that you are faking it? Just to 'double down and be safe.'

Lastly if your god decides to punish me for eternity knowing the life I've lived, and how I honestly pursued the evidence where it led and still sends me to hell. He is an immoral monster and I would gladly spend the rest of my life in eternal torture knowing that I am morally superior to him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #13 Messiah Decoy, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    Someone who casually accepted Pascal's wager may not end up in a better position on Judgement Day as a hardcore fundamentalist but there's a chance they'll be in a better position than the atheist who spent their life convincing others to reject God.

If you're a good person you probably don't need Pascal's wager. It's more for nonbelievers who are going down a dark path and need a logical reason to reconsider.

14. Pascal's wager is, at best, insulting to the deities one chooses to "believe" in. People really need to let that die.

15. Also, @TC

I started realizing that being "Christian" also meant cutting certain people out of your life because of the life style they choose to live.

No it doesn't. At all.

How is it insulting?

At the very least, Pascal's wager entertains the idea of these deities being real.

Most nonbelievers would never make such a wager because God is just as real as Santa Clause to them..

17. God is an atheist.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Santa Claus has a higher probability of existing than a God does imo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Because it implies that you can trick the deity if you pretend hard enough. Either that or it implies that faith is a choice which is personally insulting.

Just about everyone has selfish reasons for worshiping God.

The Pascal wager is no more sneaky than trying to get into Heaven and avoid Hell with good deeds.

• Like Like x 1