Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bi-Polar 1 Diagnosis And Cannabis

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by PineTree503, Aug 18, 2014.

1. After poking around on the web for a while, I've found that there is very little definitive information about the use of cannabis and bi-polar 1 disorder. There is lots of speculation and the ever popular, though probably equally correct, disclaimer "do what works for you." And though this may be flying in the face of the nature of the disease, I'd like to create some sort of rubric which allows those who want to try an alternative to pharms.

First, a little about me. I have smoked since I was a sophomore in high school (16ish). I didn't really start smoking habitually until I graduated from school and went to college (which was silly since I left from WA to Boston... Hind sight). During my Sophomore year of college (20) I had an acute manic episode and was diagnosed bi-polar 1. The doctors said that if I ever smoked again, I would probably have another episode.

I have smoked almost everyday since and I have kept my diagnosis in check since being discharged, have ended CBT session and reduced my lithium intake.

That being said, I did have some help along the way. One year after my diagnosis I was asked to participate in a joint study with MIT, Harvard and McLane Hospital on the effects of cannabis on mood in bi-polar patients. 
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17523281.2012.659751#.U_JpgLxdVCc 
    I was tasked with recording my use habits and my mood daily. It was eye opening to see how cannabis effects mood and brain function in real time on an EKG and have the data interpreted for you by neuroscientists. Mad respect for mother nature. 

It has been a while since then, and I have had my ups and downs (as one may expect) in life and with cannabis. But all of this was before I realized the importance of strains, beyond the indica/sativa binary system I grew up on. I know that back then we used to smoke a lot of Blue Dream and Diesel. In retrospect, I bet there were times that smoking Sativas was not the best decision for me on the manic side of things. Conversely, I bet Indicas during depressive states only served to exacerbate my symptoms. Because of this, I thought of the rubric system. If cannabis can be used to treat all of these primary conditions which are secondary to a bi-polar diagnosis, why cant a regime be created for my particular brand of bi-polar. 

As such I have made this break down.

Bi-polar 1
         Manic:
              Anxiety:
              Insomnia:
         Depressive:
              Fatigue: 

Nausea (Pharms related):

From my own experience I have included (I'm trying to work off of popular commercially available strains as a base line):

Manic: (Indica, I-Hyb) Northern Lights, Blue Cheese
              Anxiety: (I-Hyb) Grape Ape, Bubba Kush
              Insomnia:(Indica)  Northern Lights, Granddaddy Purp
         Depressive: (Sativa, S-Hyb) Hawaiian, New York Diesel, Blue Dreams, Jillybean
              Fatigue: (Sativa) Green Crack, Sour Diesel

Nausea (Pharms related): ? (need most help here)

I tend to be in depressive states more than manic ones. Also, I'm just spit balling off of old, stoned memories. 

What do ya'll think? Any suggestions on theory or strains? I usually just bong it out of a 12", but I've been hearing about different ways of administration. Any ideas? I just want to be happy, stable and eventually off the meds. I can feel every dose wrecking my insides. 

2. #2 beaniegrl420, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    Both of my sisters are bipolar, and they have both found relief with CBD. That's my first advice. Really, really push the CBD - in edibles or smoke, but preferably both. The first time I gave CBD to my sister with the worst of it, I asked her if she was feeling better. She kind of offhandedly said, yeah. Then she paused, thought about it, and came back with a super surprised, "I really am" now CBD comes in all the same varietals that regular cannabis does, so make sure you get the target strains again, which will totally depend on terpenes. 

Harlequin in indica, and Sour Tsunami in Sativa or Hybrid are my favorites. Cannatonic and Canna-Tsunami are also great, and have leaned both indica and sativa, depending on where I've procured them. ACDC, Fuck Cancer, and such... as long as it's tested, so you know the ratios, get it, then learn how to apply it. Also, Cheeba Chews Pure CBD are like my go to CBD edibles. I think the vapor points are different for THC and CBD, and I haven't gotten the decarb process down for mixed ratio strains yet. So the CC consistency really helps. Most importantly, the CBD will help keep you from "overmedicating" and thereby instigating a manic or depressive episode.

One of my sisters also has a really high tolerance, so I have to make her pills using hash. She LOVES them. OG Kush has been her favorite so far. She gets relaxation and insomnia relief from that. Though, I do have another friend who gets really hyper off the same pills - dammit unique phyiological responses!!! 

So maybe using CBD and edibles is more important a change than actual strains, as you seem to have a good handle on strains for yourself :)

oh, and for nausea, Dragon's Breath, Catpiss - mostly sativas, seem to work best for me. Smoking is the easiest, but tinctures work as well. Indicas don't seem to be as nausea relieving. I medicate for that on a regular basis, and sativas through and through! Though some may restrict appetite, instead of inducing it. So...depends on what it's hindering on which you might use. Like Blue Dream is better before a meal than the Dragon's Breath, for me.

3. Beanie girl,

Thank you so much. I have been wondering about changing modes of administration, and I think you may have sold me on it.

And wow. What a resource. Thanks. That covers so many bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. I just search CBD, because of my ignorance and it's generally poor distinction from other cannabis. This is a whole side of the medical movement I wasn't ever in tune to.

I have been asking the wrong questions. How does CBD effect you differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. CBD is far less psychoactive. Most professionals shy away from saying it's NON-psychoactive because you will feel affected, for one, and then also because there are so many other components to CBD rich cannabis, it can be a little misleading to say NON. 

However, most people feel more at peace. I explained it to my therapist as me feeling more emotionally lubricated, as though I can reason through an emotion instead of being overwhelmed by it so much more easily! 

Some, who experience nerve pain find that they are more relaxed and have fewer issues, usually when also paired with an indica dominant THC rich strain, but it seems to help repair nerve damage, in varying degrees, based on dosage. Smaller doses, like you would get with smoking, are great for everything from anxiety to muscle spasms, though each person would need to find their dose. 

When I eat CBD, mostly in the Cheeba Chew Pure CBD, which is 50mgs CBD to 2mgs THC, and I usually make that up to 4 or 5 doses, I feel more in control of my mental state. Others may have more control over their body. 

6. I am also bipolar type 1.  And have issues despite haveing the meds right.  The kicker is the cannabis.  That is not the first-line answer, but it's the last, and it works miracles.  I wanted to chime in before I have to attempt to be productive (not stoned, welcome to bipolar depression and mixed-episode), but I glanced over your post and all I can say is I have TONS of vetted imperical and anncedotal evidence and research on BP1 and Cannabis.  Someone give me tips.  I will post it all.  And there is a ton.

(Psych major;  my sources are vetted)

7. Jfunke,

That is great to hear. I am academic as well, and I cant help but approach this as such. It is good to have a comrade. I have always struggled with the concept of bi-polar diagnosis and treatment being so insular and reactionary. We all are unique and suffer from our own psychosis based on experience and personality. I find bi-polar to just be an amplification of those perfectly natural human tendencies. It allows us to feel and think deeper, unfortunately that plays on both those positive and negative emotions. 

Cannabis has allowed me to avoid taking on some of those stronger antipsychotics like risperdal or zyprexa. Though the lithium has continued to cause me nausea and digestion issues, I have been able to retain some liveliness of thought by using low effective levels of lithium and cannabis to treat nausea and acute depression/elevated mood.

I also have used lorazepam hoping to achieve similar results to cannabis but the dependencies and tolerance issues have always prevented me from using them as a long term solution. I find the fact that bi-polar disorder is recognized by the ADA but not in some MMJ circles is absurd to me (I just got off the phone with my issuer today in Oregon. They're having problems understanding that Lithium causes nausea as a primary side effect. However, if I lived in Washington, where I'm from, this wouldn't be an issue). Any who. I have heard a lot about the acute effects of BHO, as opposed to smoked flowers, being more profound psychologically. Is there merit behind this? 

8. BHO is a concentrated form of cannabis; it's basically using a solvent to strip the "crystals" or trichomes off the plant. It's far more psychoactive because it's more potent. In a gram of BHO you can get 60-80% THC, whereas in a gram of flower you're generally getting 18-27%

But you also need specialized equipment (a rig) to get the most effective hit from the wax. 

A high CBD oil could be great! But they tend to be pretty pricy, you have to make sure it's NOT RSO stuff -that's it's a BHO or similar. Also, make sure it's tested!