Obama Admin. Says increased Access To Cannabis Will Lead To Health Problem

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Old School Smoker, Aug 18, 2014.

1. \tLet's Talk About Federal Marijuana LegalizationBY MIKE ADAMS · FRI AUG 01, 2014
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • RSS
    <div style="margin:0px;">

</div>Some lawmakers predict marijuana will be legal on a federal level within five to ten years. Although, when it happens, there is a distinct possibility the law will not translate into Americans enjoying a fully legalized recreational market. There is a greater chance it will be a piece of three-legged legislation giving only patients with legitimate medical conditions access to cannabis.
    Now, there is an entire legion of marijuana advocates out there that would be satisfied with this toe-in-the-water approach to repealing federal prohibition, but many others, myself included, will not be satisfied with pussy fist legislation that puts weed under the thumb of a loosely amended version of the Controlled Substances Act.
    The people of this country deserve the right to legally unwind with marijuana just as the majority has done for decades with alcohol. And while it may be simple enough for a healthy individual to walk into a clinic and convince a physician that he or she is in need of medical marijuana, most of us would rather not have to go through the hassle to simply catch a buzz.
    The truth is, the only way legalized marijuana is ever going work in this country is if it is completely removed from the confines of the Controlled Substances Act and federally regulated under the same government agency that currently has the leashes on beer and cigarettes -- rename it the Alcohol, Cannabis and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
    You may not be aware of this, but there is a bill lingering in the halls of Congress called the “Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013,” which would end pot prohibition and establish a fully legalized cannabis trade here in America. Unfortunately, the proposal has not received any support since Colorado Representative Jared Polis submitted it back in early 2013, and it is doubtful the bill has any realistic chance at being considered anytime in the near future. Perhaps this is the reason many pot proponents have argued, “it will take an act of Congress” before marijuana has a chance at achieving legal status in the United States.
    However, there appears to be some confusion about who actually has the authority to make changes to the nation's pot laws. Most argue that the state of legal weed in America absolutely hangs by the short-and-curlies of Congress, while others assert the Obama Administration has the power to cut the legs off prohibition as early as today.
    In an interview that took place earlier this year with CNN's Jake Tapper, President Obama himself said it was up to Congress, not the Drug Enforcement Administration, to decide whether or not to reclassify cannabis. The next day, drug policy experts lashed out against the president for failing to take responsibility for maintaining prohibition in America. “While Congress can amend the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to increase or reduce restrictions on particular drugs, the statute also gives that power to the attorney general, who has delegated it to the Drug Enforcement Administration (a division of the Justice Department),” wrote Jacob Sullum, senior editor at Reason Magazine. “In fact, the DEA has repeatedly rejected petitions to reschedule marijuana, most recently in 2011. I forget: Who was president then?”
    UCLA Professor of Public Policy, Mark Kleiman recently told New York Magazine that one of the most important moves President Obama could make right now is initiating changes to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the Drug Enforcement Administration that would make it easier for scientists to receive approval for marijuana research. "Every fourteen-year-old boy has access to better pot than any research scientist,” he said. 
    Of course, in order to open the doors for researchers, the president would first have to make the decision to downgrade marijuana's Schedule I classification, which he clearly has the authority to jumpstart.
    Unfortunately, we do not expect the president to roll up his sleeves and make any significant changes before leaving the Oval Office. Especially, not after the White House issued a statement this week, in response to The New York Times article â€œRepeal Prohibition, Again,” in which the Obama Administration wrote that it would not legalize marijuana because increased access would lead to an onslaught of public health problems.

Marijuana is a medicine. I want to see the list of health problem they mention.

2. I think that it can be unhealthy to smoke too much and being stoned all the time is probably not healthy especially couch lock munchie strains those can make you fat and forget to shower or move your body "less figetdty " I want it decriminalized on all levels except concentrates I don't like those either I like kief in its raw state but not the processed stuff.

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1320008-texiego-14-1st-journal.html. Respect.

3. Why should hash and extracts be still criminalised just because you don't like them? It's also easier to sell contaminated versions which makes taking them out of the black market even more important. Properly made hashes and extracts are also healthier due to inhaling less burned plant matter, not to mention the cultural/traditional importance of hash in many countries.

4. im not saying it should be criminalized I just don't like it and it is like eating raw blueberries or consuming extracted blueberry concentrate I'd rather have just plain berries. I don't care what you put in your body .

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1320008-texiego-14-1st-journal.html. Respect.

5. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer beer and others whisky. Same with bud and hash/extracts :)

6. Good post old school. Looks like we will continue to sit on the fence and fuck off for another year or 2

7. Aint it the truth? Congress just makes that simple statement and then walks away. They want to go play in Iraq, they don't want to be bothered with marijuana legalization. Well guess what, we shall keep fighting. Our voice shall be heard, because we just won't shut up.

8. its necessary for some of us to have a much more potent medicine ie extracts like oil or wax or hash just because a medicine is strong doesn't make you lazy or fat thats depends on the person. Thats extremely ignorant to assume pot makes a person act a certain way every person is different and has different needs as far as cannabis medicines go, whether to use sativa or indicas wax or oil or flowers its a personal choice. as one poster said its much like choosing whiskey or wine although i hate using the alcohol comparison because alcohol is not a medicine and is much more dangerous with no medical benefit unlike cannabis . 500,000 people die from alcohol and tobacco every year where is the outrage about that where is the so called drug enforcement agency then where are the right wing prohibition factions to organize a protest about those lives lost this is Not a war on drugs its a war on PERSONAL FREEDOM!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. hash and other concentrates are more medically beneficial than  flowers to me.

10. I'm pretty sure they're referring to the consumption of ethanol, not using alcohol preps or pouring isopropanol on a cut. I'm not 'anti-alcohol' or anything, but it's kind of silly to compare the two.

A cultural shift from alcohol as the drug of choice to marijuana as the drug of choice would more than likely cut intoxicant-related health problems significantly. And the link of marijuana use to cancer, while often speculated, doesn't have too much evidence to support that there really is one. And alcohol is a well known carcinogen. So, while that's only one category of disease, that alone makes one good argument for marijuana being a safer alternative to alcohol. And of course, the obvious difference in acute overdose deaths between the two.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

11. Fuckin' wheels o justice man.....

12. Warning: Increased amounts of marijuana may lead to coherent thinking, rationalization of your life, and a general understanding of how things work.

Illegalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. #14 Galaxy420, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    the wild thing is most leading values reflect letting medical users who need cannabis have it for their health needs. That seems to be the census on these articles and then they say -- but making cannabis available to anyone will pose health risks to the nation????  on one hand they say let the medical users have easy access for their medication and then go on to say but there will be health risks if people other than medical users have access to it. makes a bunch of logical sense- NOT AT ALL!

14. #15 LQ142, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014

If you wanted to take an aspirin, would you chew on willow tree bark or would you buy the extract?

Smoking buds is a complete waste of time if you are using medicinally. Most kief is 70% plant matter. As somebody with a chronic autoimmune condition, I need extracts. I can't vape enough buds to get the relief I need. Hash oil allows me to medicate once a day and I'm good.

15. You say that as if it's a bad thing.

16. what a crock of shit.

17. If they are worried about health risks, then they should make tobacco illegal. It has proven itself to be an excellent and very deadly poison. But marijuana hasn't killed anyone yet. So, legalize weed and take the poisonous tobacco products away. Health concerns will diminish.

But let's not fool ourselves.

18.  Am i the only one that finds obama's mole really really annoying?