Heat Stree Recovery

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Pbplayer148, Aug 18, 2014.

1. #1 Pbplayer148, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Hello everyone. This is my first time and would appreciate some advice. Yes I have read some of the boards and have a basic understand of what I did wrong and how to fix it next time. As for now I only have the one baby struggling to stay alive. Here's the story.

Left on Thursday, sealed room but not a lot of heat in the past. (done this trip once and my baby was just underwatered when i retured, 3 days later full on growing like nothing happened.) Ambitious and the beginner I am, added a halogen for more lumens. Yes I know BIG mistake but can't go back in time. Flooded the bucket to have water for the whole weekend and return on Sunday to realize my mistake. Not sure what the temp was but well over 90 F. It has been a week of healing, I floodeded the soil as it was desert dry immediately returning home. I also lightly sprayed the leaves with water in hopes of saving some. Most are all dry and have fallen off. My baby seems to have returned a little bit with the lower branches producing nice green leaves. I was in flowering for about 3 weeks prior to my inadventant torture.

Has anyone done this by mistake. Should I top the majority of it to allow the lower part to thrive? Any advice would be great. Currently on phone so will add pics later today.

Thanks for any help!
    PB

Edit:spelling

2. here are some pics I did cut the top off one cola to try. I dont have a good way at looking at the tricombs, but the part I cut a hr ago seems like it has been drying for a week :/ leaves are crispy to the touch and crackle. The lowest leaves have very little stress on them. any answers would be nice. thanks

IMG_4722.JPG IMG_4712.JPG
    IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4716.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4719.JPG IMG_4720.JPG

3. not the perfect setup but was doing just fine. I can get the watts if needed.

Attached Files:

4. Really no one?

5. I'd watch for hermie parts, but the best you can do at this point is LITFA and keep taking care of it.

^ In my opinion, that's the best you can do.

Good luck buddy, I hope she lives.

7. Much appreciated, but what is lifta? I can't seem to find what it means. I removed the tops of the main two colas (surprised I topped right in veg since this is my first time ever!) trimmed, one didn't need to be dried, the light too care of that :/ however the other needed 2 days. No curing, tried to smoke. I could tell about the hermie as when I broke it apart I could see the beginning of seed formation. I'll keep an eye out on the rest but as of now I can't tell. Is the whole plant infected or potentially hopeful, could only parts of her be?

Separated into "smokeable" and waste. Extraordinarily loose packed buds but had decent tricombs. The stickiest bud I've broken by hand, is that because it's the freshest and hasn't been through others to get to me?

Smoked, very light but noticeable head high, zero body. Earthy taste. 2 questions here: assuming nothing else is hermie, by my reading I would assume I need another 3 weeks min flowering so most trics become cloudy? And 2nd is the earthy taste (which wasn't bad) because it's soil grown and/or was not cured properly?

Thanks for the replies so far!

PB

8. #9 undertoad, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    LITFA = leave it the fuck alone

As for the starts of seeds - all bud will have tiny things that look like the beginning of seeds but unless they get pollinated, nothing happens.

Hermie isn't an infection, it's a stress response in the plant where it throws both male and female flowers on the remaining live pieces of plant in a last ditch effort to survive and reproduce. Look at the remaining living plant and examine for bananas and balls, Google male cannabis flower for pictures of what you're looking for.

Buds get whispy due to excess heat, get your ventilation in check and the rest should tighten up.

9. And yes, I just re-read your first post that you've been flowering for 3 weeks. It'll need 3 more minimum if it lives, but let the plant tell you when it's ready. Buds will swell and hairs will brown up and recede.

Taste has mostly to do with strain and curing and a little to do with how it's grown. I smoked whatever I could get in high school but have been smoking about 90% organic for the last 5 years and will say I can taste a difference. Chemically grown tastes chemically. Organic seems to let the strain's true flavor come through more.

10. #11 Pbplayer148, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    You're replies are very helpful and informative! Thank you both

Lifta, my new favorite acronym!

No bananas or balls, as of now..let's hope it stays that way

Ventilation is good now, temp is around 68-70f. I read that it likes temps about 75 during the "day" time and when lights off about 65. Any truth to it or experience?

Lights:
    2700k 14w 850lumen
    5000k 14w 900L
    (2)3500k 19w 1200L
    (2)5000k 19w 1300L
    3000k 18w 1500L

Add more?

11. #12 NGP, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    Typically in flower for CFL's, I would suggest your entire light spectrum to be 2700k bulbs, and no higher than 3500k. But your plants are suffering and the extra light from the brighter 5000k bulbs aren't hurting anything. You have 7 bulbs, seems like ample lighting for 1 plant.

I'll also bet, based on the picture of your small enclosure with no visible air exchange setup, you are much higher in temps in that little setup than the 68-70 you claim with the lights on...as far as ideal temps, yes a 75 to 65 temp range is ideal, 75 being with lights on of course.

You could use more light, but what's up with the floodlight at the top of your pic (not the hanging mechanics light). That's not a CFL, it looks like one of those 100w halogen outdoor bulbs. If that's what that is, turn it off. Not only does it not helps your plants at all (wrong color) but it also adds a shitload of heat. Even with air exchange blowing in cold air you would never be able to keep a grow at 68-70 with flood lights on in there! Maybe I'm just seeing things. I took your pic and added an arrow to the light in question:

Clipboard01.jpg

12. #13 Pbplayer148, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    The top light is Cree led with no barley any heat. That is the 18w bulb listed. In basement with the temp set to 66. Have a small fan outside the closet it push air in. It used to be behind the plant to push the air out but after my heat wave I reversed it. Add another one to push air out when the door is open?

Edit: put a basic thermometer on soil after heating to 80f with hands. Checked 2 hrs late and is at 69f.

Door to closet remains open most of the time 80% and then closed during "night" to help with light leaks. Closet is black, sat in it for 20 min and was fine.

The bad lights have been smashed out of anger. This has been the setup since seed. Paper towel method. Worked well.

13. Temp this morning was 69f then 72f after 2 hrs of closed door. Back to 70 after being open for a few minutes. Back to normal watering, fed nutes for last time I'm guessing. I'll add more pics in a week

14. Switch them back to veg, let them recover before feeding, trim off dead leaves after new leaves arrive to take their place. In a month or two of veg she will be a big green monster and while deformed, will yield nice bud if done right.

Just helped a family member rejuvenate an almost nearly dead marijuana TREE with vegging and the "lifta" as well as the above mentioned methods.

15. Flowering for 4 weeks, would Rather not unless completely necessary. No space for more veg unless you'll take her :p

Reviving well with 10-30-10 nutes and water. Figured that would be the last of nutes and just water for the next 3-5 weeks. Temp 72 this morning. No idea about humidity but have a dehumidifier located in another room but on the same floor. Can the air be too dry for it?

16. recovery has been slow but steady! getting back to healthy  IMG_4737.JPG IMG_4726.JPG IMG_4727.JPG IMG_4728.JPG IMG_4729.JPG IMG_4730.JPG IMG_4731.JPG IMG_4734.JPG IMG_4735.JPG IMG_4736.JPG

17. Thanks for the help! I didn't switch back to veg as I'm guessing it would grow higher and exceed the space I have. Updated with pics from yesterday. Any better? Since 90% of the fan leaves were trimmed (dead) is that keeping it from budding well? I'll try to get a shot of trics later but think it needs another 2-3weeks, agree?

18. Well its getting closer to that time. LIFTA did wonders and she seems to have gotten back on track. Smell is very strong and pungent :) Temps are good now.

Stems seem red/purple, is there a problem? I think its due to the temp swing. 77-83F Day, 64-67F Night
    any thoughts?

estimate to how long till chop?

IMG_4765.JPG IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4754.JPG IMG_4755.JPG IMG_4756.JPG IMG_4761.JPG IMG_4762.JPG