New To Vaping... Need Suggestions For Dry Herb Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by trailblazerpdx, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Hello Grasscity!  Looking for suggestions for a dry herb pen vaporizer.  I am an old school toker that is trying to make the jump to vaping for health benefits and needing to be incognito.  I am totally lost when it comes to choosing a pen and wondered if any of you can pass on your wisdom?  There seems to be a ton of choices and prices... I am open to all suggestions.  I typically smoke a bowl or two daily.  

Thank you in advance!

2. pens dont vape, unless you get the tvape. browse the threads on here and you can find the answer. this forum is always flooded with people asking questions just like you, im sure you can mannage to figure out what you want.

3. #3 ren.dnb, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014

Ok, first get the thought of a vape pen out of your head. Unless you are specifically looking for that form factor, there are WAY better options for your first vape other than a pen. Besides, there are no vape pens out there other than the T-Vape 2.0, that will vaporize dry herb in a pen form factor, properly. All of them will combust your herb in one way or another. Its just the way the design is, and for the price, it just isn't worth it.

Vaping is a great for you, your health, and your enjoyment of herb in general, but a pen is not going to show you that at all. I was like you when I first wanted to start vaping and thought a pen would do the trick. I went to my LHS and they had a little of everything. They didn't directly tell me the pens would not vape, but told me I would be replacing coils every week or 2 and for the price, it just wasn't worth it (they did ask me how often it would be used, and thats what drove them to tell me what they did). 

They were nice enough to show me their pens and how much they cost and asked if I was willing to spend more than 50$. When I said I could spend about $120, thats when they dropped the Magic Flight Launch Box on me. Wanting to vape and not combust, I ended up buying it and it was the best $105 I spent (it happened to be on sale). That of course, made me think that if I spent more money on a vape that was high tech looking and cost over $200, I would get better performance. While in some cases thats very true, I can also say that it is not true.

I ended up buying a Pax within 24 hours of owning the MFLB. I used that for 3 weeks but realized my consumption was about the same if not going up, and the vape really smelled compared to the stealthiness of the MFLB. I also picked up a VaporBLUNT 2.0.... that shouldn't have ever happened. So after 3 weeks, I switched back to the MFLB, and saw my consumption go way down and suddenly my hook up was calling ME up. After that, I've been on a mission to find vapes that aren't so well known or made by big companies, that get the job done just as good if not much better than their more expensive counterparts. I'm also an efficiency whore so, if the vape burns through more than .5g a night, I don't want it.

In my sig I list 3 vapes that I own and use regularly:

Magic Flight Launch Box
    Firewood 2.1
    The Hammer

All 3 of them are efficient with The Hammer being the top contender for that (closely followed by the Firewood 2.1). All 3 are very portable, but only 2 of them are stealthy and discreet. The Hammer is the one that isn't stealthy or discreet because its butane powered. But the MFLB and Firewood are both battery operated, with the MFLB being a conduction/IR based vape and the Firewood being a convection based vape.

My suggestions for you would be:

Magic Flight Launch Box - $120 for the maple starter kit
    Firewood 2.1 - $115 for the maple starter kit

They're great vapes to break into the vaporizing scene with, and they'll constantly keep getting the job done for you. Please note that the MFLB comes with a lifetime warranty and it covers damage that YOU do to the vape. Firewood 2.1 only has a 1 year warranty on it, but the owner of the company will work with you if you've owned it longer and you're having a problem. You can't go wrong with either vape, but the MFLB is stealthier and way easier to conceal. The Firewood 2.1 resembles a dugout but still easy to conceal. The MFLB is also a bit less smellier than the Firewood 2.1, and is able to deliver a vapor hit in about 5 seconds, where the Firewood 2.1 needs about 20-25 seconds to heat up on the first hit.

Both vapes have a learning curve, but its not hard to pick up on. Some would say the learning curve is steep, but its really not. 

Thats a starting point for you and hopefully that steers you in a good direction. 

4. I agree with @[member="ren.dnb"] in regards to a pen.  I would say they don't vaporize but rather combust... But that is pretty cool if you want a one hitter!  My favourite is the Cloupor Cloutank M3 - super discrete, heats up quick and it fits into your pocket.  Plus the mouth peice acts as a tamper so you can mix up ther herb a little bit and you can get another hit or two out of it.

Now in regards to wanting an actual vaporizer itself, there are so many options right now its kind of crazy.  Ill just quickly give my two cents about a couple well known ones.

The Pax by Ploom did not impress me.  You pay around 250$ for a single battery vape that emits a horrible battery smell with an even more horrible vattery flavor.  Also the mouth peice acts as the on and off button (which I personally dislike) plus it gets stuck... blah blah blah... don't waste your money. 
    The magic flight launch box is also a cult favourite but I find it super finicky with the whole rechargeable battery set up.  The first inhale with the battery is great! But then as the battery looses power, the weaker the hits get.... and then you don't know how much battery power you acutally have... Just too many moving parts and lack of efficiency for me.

Personally I swith back and forth between my Hebe Titan II and my Flowermate Vapormax-V.  They are some of the newer vapes out now so you get the more advanced technology more more effeicient batteries.

HEBE Titan II
    • 80$
    • with adjustable temperature ( i believe it goes up to 400`
    • pretty big heating chamber (I'll just pack it once for the whole day of vaping and I am a moderate MJ user). 
    • Good if your into customizing your sessions
    Flowermate Vapormax-V

• 120$
    • One button (On/Off + heating up)
    • relativly large heating chamber
    • double the battery of the Pax (2x 2600 mAh Samsung batteries) more even vaping temp
    • super simple and discrete to use (great for a no - nonsense vaper)
    I beleive I saw it on sale at Wizardpuff.com for $100 right now so thats pretty sweet too! (The Link is Below)

http://wizardpuff.com/collections/herb-vaporizers/products/flowermate

hope that was helpful :laughing:

Have you tried the MFLB with the new glyph batteries? They're custom made for the MFLB and actually last pretty decent. However as far as efficiency goes, I load up about .2g into the MFLB and get pretty vaped off that. 1 battery usually lasts me about 2-3 trench fillings.

And nice suggestions :)

Battery smell and battery flavor?   :confused_2:

7. Neither vape gets hot enough.

8. I find I could smell a metallic burnt battery smell and I felt like I tasted this horrible aluminum flavor when I drew the vapor from the Pax.  It was super offputting especially since I spent the big bucks :(

Gottcha.     That sounds awful.   

10. #10 ean2233, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    i never have that flavor in my pax. its a great vape for my specific needs.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I had kinda had the same kind of smell and taste when I had my Iolite years ago, and that ran on butane.     I think what we may be experiencing here is the taste and smell of plastic that gets heated up to high temps rather than battery or butane smell.    What I smelled and tasted from the Iolite was definitely not butane.

12. #12 ren.dnb, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014

I wonder if they're using the good plastic designed for high heat applications. Here's where I'm coming from on this, my wife used to work for a plastics factory and they made various parts for Honda cars and Volvo trucks. All of them had to be heat resistant as they either sat in the engine compartment or some where they would be exposed to heat. 

When I handed her The Hammer to check out, she commented on how the plastic was very high grade and is meant to handle high temps. When she compared it to the Pax I have, she said the Pax seems to be made of lesser grade plastic. So, your theory could very well be the case @[member="lwien"]

13. Just get a Volcano for the house and powwwwww.  For portables, still a pax lover.  If you clean it at least once a week, change your screen once in a while, last and smell and taste good for time to come.  saw some at https://sivape.com

14. lol volcano lol

15. I wonder why the Volcano and the Pax appeal to the same users.

16. To me and personal opinion, by all means, there's nothing even close to a Volcano, and as far as portables, not a big of them at all, but if i had to choose, Pax overall is the one ive had for over 3 years.  

You've just kinda made my point.   

My question though, is why?

18. I like expensive stuff hahaha, joking, but I had all of them, DaVincci, Firefly, MFLB, Vaporblunt, etc, overall i still think Pax is better.  Never had problems with it, only in da beginning when i didnt really know how to use it.  And Volcano nothing to say.  Its the best.

Here we go again.   The Volcano may be the best for YOU, but it is NOT the best.

20. #20 Mr Horsepower, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    Strictly for curiosities sake why did you prefer the pax over all of the other portable vapes listed? Flavor? Efficiency? Low smell? Ability to do both concentrates and dry herb? Low maintenance?