Hydro And Soil Side By Side

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DrCannaP, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Update on the day of res change.
    Changed res. Added 40L RO water with 40ml calimagic to a total water ppm of 330 (this seems high but that was the recommended dose). Then added 15ml/10l diamond nectar (60ml total). Nutes added 14ml/10l (48ml total) FloraNova grow. (Total ppm 1250). 3 cups Heisenberg's Tea.
    Then I watered the two soil plants with a liter of Heisenberg's tea each.
    As you can see in the picture below, its looking like a scary jungle. I can't wait to sex them and hopefully be able to lose 1 of the 5 plants. So the deficiency I had in the hydro plants is arrested after applying calimagic by GH to the res. I had to supercrop multiple branches on the soil liberty haze (front right) the Northern Light (front left) and the Pineapple express (back left) and raised the light. Tomorrow I'll change the MH light to HPS and flip the light to 12/12. I'm thinking about boosting my ballast to the +20% setting which may raise my 600w output to around 700+w.
    Also I noticed that my humidity ranges from 50 to as high as 65 and sometimes close to 70. How bad is this? I know the girls drink lots of water, close to a gallon a day.
    Any thoughts or tips are welcome and much appreciated. uploadfromtaptalk1410520069613.jpg

2. I checked today and the soil Liberty haze might be a male (pic below) I'll confirm in a couple of days when the balls look better but I'd say its a male. The pineapple express is a female for sure. Now I'm just waiting on the northern lights, hydro liberty haze and soil purple haze.
    Honestly I'm glad one turned out to be a male because the hydro plants (PE and NL) are filling up the majority of the space in the grow tent!
    uploadfromtaptalk1411038670345.jpg

3. The soil Liberty Haze is a male for sure and was removed from the grow room and separated to let the sacs mature a little more to collect them (tips on the how's and when's please).
    The remaining plants are Sensi Northern Light (female) G13 Labs Pineapple Express (female), Barney's farm Liberty Haze from a hermie bud (those 3 are in hydro) and a soil Purple Haze from a hermie bud I got in Amsterdam at the bulldog cafe. The small LH and the Purple Haze haven't shown their sex yet!
    Changed res. Added 40L RO water with 40ml calimagic to a total water ppm of 330. Then added 15ml/10l diamond nectar (60ml total). Nutes added 8ml/10l (32 total) FN grow and 6ml/10L (24 total) FN bloom (Total ppm 1180). 3 cups H. Tea. PH to 5.8. uploadfromtaptalk1411112675904.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411112684205.jpg

4. Alright its time for some updates......
    NL, PE and Purple haze are all flowering!. The pineapple express is stretching a little more than the Northern light and p. Haze. The small liberty haze in hydro still hasn't shown its sex yet probably because I flipped the light on her too early in veg!
    The pineapple express is filling the tent like crazy and invading the personal space of all other plants. I just FIMed her once and super cropped a few branches. I did the same for the NL and PH. I definitely recommend this PE by g13 labs for scrog. I'd say one plant will fill a 4x4 scrog!
    1st pic: sensi northern light
    2nd pic: g13 labs pineapple express
    3rd pic: purple haze in soil
    4th pic: the jungle. uploadfromtaptalk1411714996596.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411715009635.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411715027273.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411715037320.jpg

5. First of all, as always, feel free to comment, give tips and suggestions or even criticize!
    Here's an update on the last day of week 3 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    All 4 plants are flowering and budding nicely though the liberty haze is lagging slightly! The pineapple express is expanding upward AND horizontally, encroaching on the others and actually pushing the northern light aside and wrapping around the small liberty haze. I recommend this PE and I want to try scrogging it next alone in this 4x4 grow tent under 600w to see what kind of yield I can get out of it.
    Anyway, so I usually change the res every Friday. But I decided to try changing it every 2+ weeks to save on nutes, time and effort and suffice with topping. I have been topping with the dehumidifier water (0ppm 7 pH) without problems thus far. Anyway, I raised the ppm to 1040 and plan on slowly raising it to 1200. PH at 6.0. When i top, I add half amount of nutes and cal mag then adjust the ph then add Heisenberg's tea every three days for maintenance. I watered the soil purple haze with a gal of ro +2 tbs of high P bat guano and 1tbs high N bat guano. I added the N because there's little yellowing of the very bottom leafs.
    The pics below will show:
    1- NL, violated by the PE.
    2- PE
    3- Liberty haze
    4- Purple haze
    The other pics are just close ups of bud sites.
    uploadfromtaptalk1412324636093.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412324644355.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412324653090.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412324659935.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412324668270.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1412324676049.jpg

6. Here's an update at the on the last day of week 4 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    All 4 plants are flowering and budding nicely and the liberty haze stretched to catch up! The pineapple express is still encroaching on the others and actually pushing them aside!
    Anyway, so I actually did change the res today. I added 60ml FN bloom to the RO water for a total of 1000ppm. Then added the calimagic to a total of 1250ppm. Then i added 50ml diamon nectar because i read many people use it throigh bloom too even though the manufacturer suggests using it during veg only. I want to see how the plant uptakes nutes with DN. I then adjusted the pH to 6.0 then added H. Tea. I watered the soil purple haze with little (a liter) of the old res water that contains bloom nutes then added RO water until i saw enough runoff. I then added little H. Tea. Random bud pics...

Attached Files:

7. Here's an update on the last day of week 5 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    Anyway, so I actually didn't change the res today. I just keep topping and trying to reduce the ppm slowly since all the hydro plants are showing signs of nutes burn. I'm using the FloraNova series and this 6th week is the last week with the bloom nutes. And next week it'll be the Ripen which is basically a bloom nutrient mix without N. So ill top the res this week with RO with half dose of the Ripen (PK) nute. I adjusted the pH to 6.0 then added H. Tea. Random bud pics...

Attached Files:

8. Here's an update on the last day of week 6 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    I changed the res today with RO water and calimagic at a total of 200ppm. Then I added FloraNova bloom to a total of 1010ppm and pH of 6.2.
    The nutes burn problem seems to be under control and I'll keep the ppm for now in the 1000 range and I'll increase it slowly. I also added 3 cups of H. Tea but this time I brewed it with wiggle worm EWC and high P bat guano Great White and molasses for 48 hours.
    Also I said I was going to start the GH Ripen this week. But given that the bud sites aren't fattening up just yet, I figured I'd wait or maybe even not use it at all. The LH flowers for 4 weeks more than the PE and NL and I don't want to risk its yield by accelerating the ripening process too early! I watered the soil purple haze with bloom nutes and H. Tea.
    Random pics......

Attached Files:

9. Here's an update on the last day of week 7 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    I changed the res today with RO water leaving about a gallon or a little over of the old res water. The ppm is between 80-110 and the pH is 6.2. I then added H. Tea. This is an attempt to flush since I gave all 3 hydro plants nutes burn that kept getting worse and seemed to slow down the ladies to the point I noticed a reduction in the water uptake every day from almost 2 gallons to about .75 gallon. And the buds stopped getting fatter! I will observe them for the next few days and decide what to do next. The NL should be almost done. And the PE needs another 2 to 3 weeks max! I may harvest its upper half and let the bottom go a little longer.
    The soil purple haze shows generalized lightening of its green color. The buds are growing but slowly. I flushed it with RO water which has very little FN bloom with H. tea and I'll go from there. Initially I thought maybe because the PE is blocking most of the light from the purple haze. But now I see the light green even on the top foliage. Also the stems are getting a patching purple/red color! She's definitely asking for more nutes but I figured I'd flush a little since I never flushed it before!
    Random pics:

Attached Files:

10. Update.....I checked the plants this morning after a day of flushing and there are lots and lots of new white hairs, the buds are getting fatter noticeably and some of the branches can't support the fat buds!

looking good, subbed. I do hydro too. going to run some soil very soon too. I have to add a 3 more 20 amp circuit breakers.

I hope you backed off the nitrogen for flowering, fuck those leaves, make the flowers happy.

12. thanks bro. Yeah I am flushing now and will keep observing the buds. The northern lights is technically done today but will flush it for a week which is when the pineapple express is done. I plan on chopping the top half of the pineapple express and let the bottom nuggets swell a little then I'll pluck the nugs with harvesting the Liberty haze and purple haze after 4 weeks then reveg. I have to clone this pineapple express and scrog it!

13. Here's an update on the last day of week 8 of flowering (since I flipped the lights to 12/12).
    The northern lights is a 45-50 day and the Pineapple express is a 56-60 day flowering. Today is day 56 and I checked the trichomes on both these plants. The NL has mostly cloudy with rare amber trichomes. The PE is a mix of cloudy and clear. I'll give them a few more days then check their trichomes. The NL should be any day now. The PE needs another week to 2 max. The NL isn't going to yield much due to the delay in growth we had in the beginning and to the PE growing over it and blocking the light. The PE grew to a width of 3x3ft (1x1m). I noticed that the main colas aren't that big (3 inches tall) but the buds right below are very thick and fat. I wonder if this is due to supercropping which I head sends growth hormone to the growth points below the bend making the plant bushy! (Thoughts on why the main top buds are smaller for main colas but the buds below are fat and crowded!)
    The Liberty haze is filling up nicely and needs another 4 weeks min. The soil Purple haze was showing chlorosis until yesterday when I fed her compost tea made with the H. Recipe and high P bat guano added. Today she's much greener with a hint of lavender in buds.
    Random pics.......

Attached Files:

14. Its been awhile since I posted an update.....busy with work and trimming the jungle harvest.
    Alright......I chopped off the upper half to 2/3 of the 3 hydro plants, PE, NL and LH. I did this on day 69 of flip (Nov 20th). Apparently, the GH Ripen I added to the res (thinking I was adding a p/k boost), caused all 3 hydro plants to accelerate its ripening process. Even the LH, which usually is a 10-11 week flowering plant, stopped filling up or producing any new yellow hairs. After chopping up the top and giving the plants a few days to recover, I flipped the lights back to 18 on 6 off for 48 hours. I read somewhere that this might trigger the plants to start producing more yellow hairs. So actually it did. I noticed the lower buds started to swell. About 2 weeks after the first chop, I harvested the rest of the hydro plants (on Dec 5th). Last night I harvested the soil purple haze.
    Total weight + breakdown of weight and smoke report to follow!

15. Smoke report after a week of drying and a week of curing:
    Pineapple express: The smell and taste haven't developed yet. However, the smell has a hint of pine with sweet and citrusy undertone. The taste definitely has a sweet hint.
    The high is euphoric with a goofy and smiling face and little giggles. For the first 15-20min after I smoke the j, I get a little bit anxious then it fades away. Although its supposed to be mostly indica, this euphoric effect and active feeling makes it feel like a sativa. You feel very energetic and for some odd reason I find myself dancing while working on the computer or even when walking to the bathroom lol. Now, despite this nice cerebral high, if you actually sit down and relax your body, you start feeling the heavy body stone, typical of an indica. I'd say this strain is good both during the day and night. Enjoyed less if smoked alone!
    Northern lights: the smell is earthy and the taste is also earthy with a sweet aftertaste. The effect is a heavy body stone, with feeling relaxed, happy and focused. The mind is clear for sure. Best for pain, insomnia and a great smoke after a long work day especially if your body is aching. I tried mixing it with some pineapple express in a j and fell right asleep afterwords and woke up in the morning still stoned!
    Liberty haze: earthy and citrusy smell with a nice lime aftertaste. The effect is pure cerebral clear head high with tingling in the entire body. The high is very active and this haze is very potent. A few extra hits and you feel very spacy and as if you're floating. The body stone is felt 2 hours later!
    Purple haze (unknown): sweet smell and taste. The high is amazing. Mellow and happy feel with total body relaxation and a goofy smile on your face. You basically just feel HAPPY!

16. While were waiting for the purple haze harvest to dry, let me tell ya what I did with the all the trim and fan leafs and stems
    4oz were heated in the over for 10 to 15 min.
    Then I added 1kg of unsalted butter and a cup or 2 of coconut oil to a pressure cooker. I then added the greens in and filled the pot with water. I cooked this in the pressure cooker for 1.5 hours only!. Then I strained it all and cooled the butter/water in the fridge overnight. The butter floated and got hard on top. I dumped the dirty water, which has most of the chlorophyll and other useless plant matter, took the butter and made cookies.
    The effect kicks in in an hour. For me, a regular smoker, one cookie made me feel nice and mellow for aboit 4 hours. But when it first kicks in, its nice and a bit trippy. I gave the same size cookie to a friend who became hysterical tripping big time. Other friends who smoke but not regularly said it was very potent.
    If I take one cookie and smoke a small j, I'm set all night and actually into tomorrow morning!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here's the total weight of this harvest, broken down:
    Total weight is 454 grams (that's 16.21 Oz or 1Lbs)
    Northern lights: 42 grams (1.5oz)
    Purple haze: 60grams (2.14oz)
    Liberty haze: 20g (0.71oz)
    Pineapple express: 232grams (8.29oz)
    Mix of the lower smaller buds of pineapple express (mostly) and little liberty haze: 120grams (4.29oz)
    So what I did is separate all the good and denser buds from the lower smaller buds and popcorns (for the PE and LH only) most of this belongs to the PE with no more than 30grams LH.
    I have been enjoying the smaller buds mostly while letting the larger denser sexier buds cure longer!
    Below you'll see a pic of some (not all) the mason jars I got and some hash I collected x2
    This should conclude this grow diary.

Attached Files: