Advice On Being A Homeless?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by a soggy fish, Aug 18, 2014.

1. #61 Mr "Bubbles", Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    Your in the uk mate. go to any council housing office and explain to them you have no where to live and cant pay rent. ask about working tax credits and housing benefits

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/.  also go see them they will help you and will fight your case if needed they do not charge you. 

you do know that without an address your car insurance wont be valid and the old bill will crush your car  :eek:

no need to be homeless in the uk we pay for housing for people who cant afford it.

Good luck fella..

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Buy the cheapest gym membership you can find-the cheapest I found when I had to sleep in my car was 20 USD/mo, but I have seen one for $10. Then you will have a place to shower and spend some time taking care of yourself.

Start reading. If you get a library card, it is a free hobby. And you have access to a place to hang out that has heating and air conditioning.

Find soup kitchens in your area.

Find a safe place to park your car. I like truck stops because they are full of people sleeping in vehicles and some even have showers and laundry facilities, and are open 24 hours.

If fruit trees are common in your area, most people don't mind sharing their apples/pears/whatever they may have an abundance of in their front yard. Just remember to knock on their door and ask if you can pick some for yourself :)

Best of luck to you!

• Like Like x 3
  3. How about advice on supporting yourself properly?

4. Shelter, food, fire, water.... usually in that order. Make sure to find a place that isn't too exposed and also isn't going to be hazardous for you - plateaus in the middle of hills for example are prime because they're not too high and aren't too low so wind and flooding aren't issues. You can make a fishing pole with a stick and a line then look for grubs in rotting wood, dead areas of grass, etc. You should go to the library and get a book on what plants are safe to eat. If you don't really think it's worth it to study up on bushcraft then getting food from places like Wal-mart is extremely easy but I wouldn't do it unless you're really desperate for food. Don't do it though unless you want to risk getting in trouble. If you've got some balls then get a couple Wal-mart shopping bags and put them in your pocket, fill a cart with food and then when nobody's around fill the bags and you're pretty much home free. Lol.

I don't condone this type of activity though, tsk tsk! Shame on anyone who does this! :smoke:

5. Speak to your local council mate, they'll help you out. The least they can do is give you some advice on what to do next.

6. Get a dagger too learn to be like tarzan

7. Man that's a bad idea.
    Where u gonna store ur shit? Weed in particular?
    U need to shower, wash ur clothes, iron them, charge ur phone, sleep, cook.. How much money u will be spending on petrol driving around?

Life's as kind as you let it be.

8. I live in the Rocky Mountain mountains and when we camp in the snow, we boil water, put in hot water bottle, put at bottom of sleeping bag to keep warm.  

Get a water key at a hardware store to have constant access to water.  We have banks, churches, stores that have special water taps here in America and the only way to get to it is to have a special key. 

Use gyms to shower in.  Find a trusted person to hold your stuff that's important.  If you don't know anyone, see who's renting out cheap storage in the back of your newspaper.  

That is all I can think of right now.   Good luck. 

9. If you don't already have good bush skills, the odds of doing well in the wild on a quick learn are very slim.  One injury or illness that you don't know how to treat can put you in a very bad way.  If you don't have a means of decent nutrition your body and mind shall weaken and that is the downhill slide to a bad end.

If you are not surviving, you are dying.

Best thing would be to seek some support from civic or religious organizations.

10. #71 quadridincopedipper, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
    A) on your person, at camp. You can always rent a storage unit
    B. a bullet, or a trespassing charge.
    C) camp solar showers. Hang it on a tree. Haul 5 gallon water jugs.
    Have a water filter and camp near a river.

Have a good sleeping bag, camp near water on public land

Www.survivalistboards.com has some good threads about this.

11. I wish I had more helpful things to say. I was homeless for a little while, but i really wasn't that good at it.  

If you can afford a gym membership or a ymca membership, you at least have a place to shower. 

Libraries have free wifi so you can use it to look for a place to live or another job, stuff like that.

I ended up having to sleep in a house that was vacant and almost got caught a few times. Very sketchy, but you have to do what you have to do to survive. 

12. I can't believe no one's said this, but stop blowing your rent money on weed!!! And people claim weed marijuana addiction's a myth...

13. Get a cheap gym membership...gets you access to a shower easily and sometimes they have free pizza nights and such.
    As far as leaving stuff outside your car and in "camp" secure a large duffel bag, fill it with what you need, tie a rope to it, climb a tree, and tie the bag off to a high branch. People don't look up much. Or go get a sheet of plywood and a shovel. Use said shovel to dig into a hillside. Line hole with gravel in the bottom. Get a big Tupperware bin, put your duffel bag inside. Cover the hole with plywood and then some leaves/debris. Keep it off trail, more than likely nobody will ever know it's there.
    find an abandoned vehicle or house/structure, you can find a stash spot in or near it with a little creativity. Don't try to hide food or kitchen supplies, animals will find it.
    just keep kitchen stuff and clothes in the trunk. I'm sure your tent and bedding could be stashed easily.

14. Well my dad (who went to and graduated uc santacruz got a major in environmental studies and almost a double major in biology) lived in a tarp wich was wrapped around a redwood. From what he says there are quite a few people who live out there in the woods behind santacruz. So its definatly doable but i asked him about it and he said he had a refridgorator at his work a campstove up at his tent and brought water in from town everyday for drinking/washing dishes. Also he said he just used the college gym showers before school. I guess you might have to use a camp shower bag thing but if you have a refrigorator at your work use it well lol. And i guess keep your tent camoflauged as good as possible use a campstove and dont make fires if the smoke is going to be super visible (dont put green stuff in your fire it will smoke more... no im not talking about bud). Anyways good luck and im pretty surr if you get caught they just tell you to move also try not to make a trail there and back thats easily found :smoking:

15. how many people are saying this lol it seems like theres atleat 3 on every page who dont really read the question... he breaks even because bud sells for more in small amounts and he buys half ounces wich means that if you sell that half ounce in 10 sacs and 20 sacs you break even before you run out of bud wich means that he is actually getting all his weed for free and you are probobly still buying it...

16. This is from last august. I wonder how op made out?

It certainly is a myth when it comes to the psychical side of our lives but psychologically it can be addictive. Especially in environments that are depressing, harsh or even boring. You can survive a psychological drought in your mind, it only lasts about a week or so until you ease into the sober life.  

18. Instead of selling just some of the weed sell more. Get your finances straight for a while then start smoking again

19. Spot on. Buy a Silcock key and a Nalgene mug