Poor Mans Race Car Build

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Scars, Aug 18, 2014.

1. #1 Scars, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Delete.

2. Nice stoked to have a proper build thread on GC!
    Is that a bell housing for the 2jz on the r154 or is that stock?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

3. That's a crazy build. I know this stoner forum and most guys dont care about this kind if stuff but this is straight sick. That car is such a sleeper but still looking mean. And that engine is just beast. Sick project bro

Are you planing on any brake and suspension mods? Time attack you want car to be planted. Specially rwd with that much power

4. oh man, i saw your other thread and drooled at your rides, love love love the clean sleepy look. best of luck man!

5. #5 Scars, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Thanks dude. I wanted to show you guys something a little different from my other cars.

The bellhousing is off of a 1jz Soarer in Japan. The 1jz-gte bellhousing, regardless if it is from a JZA70 Supra or a JZZ30 Soarer, is the only one that will allow you to mate a 2jz engine to a R154.

Yeah dude, thanks a lot. I love wrenching. As a kid, I used to follow my dad around watching him change oil/brakes in our driveway. That's where it all started.

Yeah, the suspension is not going to be stock either. Need some adjustable control arms, 6 link out back, coilovers, steering rack bushing and all other chassis bushings, etc.

I don't like using Polyurethane bushings at all though. Hardened rubber all the way.

Haha, thanks man. I like the clean sleeper look too. In the Supra, I attract too much attention sometimes. everybody wants to talk to you at red lights and parking lots. It gets kinda annoying sometimes when I have shit to do. So, I prefer to drive my low key/lower profile cars to keep people from bothering me. That's why I love driving my GS.

6. #7 Scars, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    I'm never into aftermarket bodykits but damn, this car is talking to me. I would love to do something like this.

[​IMG]

7. totally awesome! years ago when i first registered on H-I, i read a few threads by this asian guy named "Dewey"(sp?). and he had a blue Supra making 4 digit power numbers. sub 10 second quarter. fully built. i think it had a sequential manual? 

8. The first thing you should do, is check where and in what class you can actually race something like that. There may be guidelines needed to address.
    The interior is getting removed right? Chassis bracing? What kind of driveshaft are you looking at using? Are you going to install a proper rollcage? Lexan windows, you'll have to remove all the glass on/in the car as well. Cool though, I appreciate and try to learn from your dedication to Toyota.
    My best friend and I had built an Integra street/race. The dash cover and coolant gauge were the only stock pieces left. we had planned on going turbo, but the league we wanted to join was N/A only with many restrictions. We ended up doing a B18c1 with the engine blueprinted and specd', went to type r trans. Then we had to build the rollcage, which isn't actually to bad if you can weld. 

It can be tons of fun, but it can add up quick, make sure you get a big trailer, you'll want a lot of spare parts, tires, wheels, tools.

9. I'd love to get into drifting but it's puts so much unnecessary stress on the whole chassis and stuff. But I think I might give it a gone in a couple of years. I like imports and all but my heart lies with edm and BMW particular. Nothing better then a slick e30

10. I dont think its fair,you had 2k of turbo bits lying around before you started

11. talk about a head start! 

12. Hell yea man keep up the posts as u go. But 30 psi ur gonna destroy some shit but wth its a track car not a daily driver.

13. Yeah, I know him. He's a great guy. His name is Duy and has a body shop on Richmond Avenue in the Hilcroft area. He's the same guy that painted my '97 SC300. Great work ethics.

Haha, come on man. We are all gear heads here. Don't you think I have already been researching into all the things I need to convert this to a track car? But yeah, you are absolutely right. I am leaving the engine build light. Getting 700 out of her is easy. What I will really focus on is the suspension, chassis and safety. I need to keep the car planted at all times and need to keep myself safe.

I am on it though and will not break budget, just watch, hehe. I need to go out to into the Texas backwoods to hit up my old buddy who builds cars too. Wanted to get his input since he has more experience on the track versus me. 

Yeah, drifting sounds like fun but I never really got into it. I was always more into straight line racing. I am trying to branch out now. Starting to get bored.

Man, you have no idea the stuff I have collected in the last 10 years or so. I go into my warehouse and see parts that I don't even remember buying. I should probably have a garage sale soon.

Lol, mix and matching to stay under budget. Things are piecing together nicely.

Nah, 30 PSI will be just fine. I just gotta stay planted. And you're right, it's not a daily, so I am expecting shit to break. I am ready for the challenge.

Anyway, but I gotta go out of town for work (gotta make that paper). I wanted to start this week but duty calls.

14. Built engine will take 30 psi. What about those Audi engines making 800 of like 45 psi single turbo on a built inline 4. You can run crazy pressure with a thicker head gasket and higher octane.

15. #16 Scars, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    I don't doubt those Audi's.

I also don't need a built engine for 30 PSI. 30 PSI is just scratching the surface.

A stock unopened 2jz-gte engine is strong enough to handle 900 to the crank reliably for years. On stock everything. All I need a single turbo, supporting fuel system and a solid E85 tune. If people question this, I laugh.

This engine has been over-engineered by Toyota.

The head was designed in conjunction with the engineers over at Toyota and Yamaha Motors. A stock head flows over 350 CFMs and gives excellent flow. The batch fire ignition system also burns air and fuel very efficiently.

The 2jz block is cast iron with a 5% Nickel content, thus making them virtually indestructible. The entire rotating assembly is also forged from the factory. The stock headgasket is multi-layered steel composite and the head bolts have been pressure tested up to 45 PSI on stock long block. I am covered homie.

Why would I "build" any motor when I can have one ready for big power straight from the factory? The platform I am working with has been proven to produce results time and time again.

16. #17 Scars, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Delete.

17. #18 invinciblejets, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Gm trunk splatter paint is somthing I always wanted to try on an engine bay some guy with a 510 on jay Lenos garage had it and it look A+

Are you going standalone ecu ? Do you really need all that harness? Seems like a real PITA I've never done it so idk I guess

Nice progress tho

That old school hks bov tho^^

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

18. Nice looking build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk