Cfl Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sillysusie, Aug 17, 2014.

1. I'm interested in growing a couple of plants. Currently using 4 23w (100w) regular cfls in clamp lights on one plant. Wondering firstly, is that enough for one plant (femenized auto northern lights) and secondly, would this need ventilation (from heat produced)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Horticulture-250-Watt-CFL-Compact-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Bulb-System-/171339600845?pt=US_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item27e4a2d3cd

Currently not using any ventilation in my closet, just using yeast fermentation to supply my plant with co2, also opening the door a couple times a day.

Thanks, sorry if any questions are dumb, I'm new to this ;)

2. 4 23w cfl's should be sufficient to grow a single plant in a closet. I'm sure anybody could pull it off if they have great reflection and light placement. Try to LST (low stress train) your plants for maximum bud growth from a single plant. As for ventilation, you should be okay but I would try to get a fan in there to move about the air and also strengthen the stems so they can support all that bud when it starts to grow! I also wouldn't be surprised if you have to go and get more lights for your plant. Good luck!

Dude, where's my car?

3. Your need for ventilation will most likely be driven by how warm your lighting is making the grow space. Get a thermometer and see what temps you have with the lights on, shoot for 75 degF +/- 5 deg.
    Also, head over to the absolute beginners section and look for Kamel's CFL Guide. Lots of good info in there (and all the other guides posted on these forums).
    Good luck!

4. Thanks to both, great info.