New Silent Hill

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Leonard_Washington, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Hideo Kojima the Metal Gear Solid creator and film director Guillermo Del Toro are developing a new Silent Hill game called, Silent Hills. Ps4 released a "playable teaser" free for download. It's apparently gonna feature Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead as the main character.

In the teaser you are stuck in a seemingly endless loop in a creepy house. Armed with the ability to walk and zoom in, you have to notice subtle differences to progress further.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408197455.764972.jpg If you have a Ps4 give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Doctor said I need a backiotomy

2. Not saying this lightly, but Del Toro and Kojima teaming up might have the potential to make my absolute dream game. 

The only thing I'm concerned about is involving a character already established in another franchise (Norman Reedus), but I'm hoping they still have the artistic freedom they need to spin this the right way.

Kojima made one of the most memorable boss fightes of my life (Snake vs. The End in Metal Gear Solid 3) and is in general great at creating immersive games that forces you to think outside the box (pun intended). 

3. Well hopefully it's not a FPS and that Akira Yamaoka actually makes music for this one because Downpour sucked with the music wasn't even scary.

4. I'm looking forward to it, I think it'll be interesting with Norman Reedus. Definitely has potential to be a great game

5. The demo was pretty good I thought. Hopefully the rest of the game is as well

6. Epic. I love Silent Hill

7.  Meh, kinda lame.  Dont like it.

8. It's good to see Konami letting Kojima work on something other than Metal Gear for a change. I really hope this succeeds so it can show he's more than just a one trick pony with the Metal Gear franchise

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. well in the trailer it said that this demo has nothing to do with how the game will look or something along those lines,either way FPS just seem so overrated plus like I've stated before it will not feel like a silent hill game.I wanted a FPS for silent hill a while back but I've changed my mind it will just be another horror game.

10. #10 bipola, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    Silent Hill is my favourite game series and the first two games are my favourite games ever, so I couldn't even believe it when this was announced a few days ago. I thought the series was pretty much dead, and if by some miracle a new game was made it'd probably be another low budget game with Konami again outsourcing it to a small/not particularly experienced group of developers. The fact that there'll be a real sense of quality control, budget etc this time around is really exciting, and almost feels too good to be true to a longtime fan. 

I doubt it will be first person in the game, as it did say the PT had nothing to do with the main game. It wouldn't make that much sense for them to cast NR and have it be in a first person perspective. I really hope it's third person and think it probably will be. I think part of the first person look was actually somewhat of a spoof/satire on all the horror games that have come out in recent years that play like that, and obviously it helped disguise the Silent Hill-ness somewhat by being in that perspective. The story/characters are crucial in the best SH games and I can't see myself connecting to the story/characters that much if it was in first person, aside from cutscenes. 

I'd rather not have a celebrity's likeness in the game but I think if his performance is good enough it will pretty much be a non-issue and people will be able to forget about the character he plays on TWD. I have a feeling they wouldn't cast him in the first place if they didn't strongly feel this to be the case. Also, there is the chance that his likeness won't actually be in the game and it was just for the reveal that he was involved, to help pique the interest of people who wouldn't normally be interested in a new Silent Hill game, and make it immediately apparent that it was "that guy" as some people might not know him by his real name and would recognise the face quicker.

I can't imagine it coming out before 2016 but would be stoked if it was announced for some time next year. I just hope it lives up to all the inevitable hype. 

Hmm, "one trick pony" - you sure that's not an exaggeration?

12. I personally don't believe he is but on other sites I've seen people criticize him directing this game by saying all he's ever worked on was Metal Gear and is a one trick pony because of it. Personally I hope he does good with this project so he can show he can do more than just Metal Gear

I'm not gonna claim to be a Kojima fanboy, though I haven't been disappointed in a single game of his that I've played. He's actually been involved (to various degrees) in a shitload of titles and series. Check his wikipedia page, it's pretty extensive. Considering Metal Gear is his flagship and so closely connected to his name, I can somehow understand that it could be said that it's all he's done, though I do not agree. Also, add the fact that the franchise itself spans well over 25 years (and loads of different console generations) of constant appraisal and successfull adaption to current technology and the phrase "one trick pony" seems even more out of place :)

I haven't picked up MGS5: Ground Zeroes yet, but the reviews all seem to point to the fact that it's once again a great game, but extremely short. I guess that would be the main concern, but I'm staying optimistic.

14. Did anyone see the trailer...I know it's like a year away from being released but does anyone have any thoughts about it, I kinda like it but I'm not sure. Also does anyone know if Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn will compose for this game? They make great atmospheric music together.

15. No keep the first person but add oculus support and you have yourself a nightmare!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Akira has said that he would be happy to compose music for the new game but nothing's been confirmed as of yet. They'd be stupid not to get him onboard though as it would go a long way towards helping it feel like a "true" SH game. They should go one step further and have him do the whole sound design like he originally used to up to I believe SH4 

17. After a solid decade of extremely shitty games and movies shrugged off as "Silent Hill I guess", it feels good to see something promising. But it's still possible for this to be just another over-hyped flopfest. I like Norman Reedus, but his inclusion just feels completely out of place and brings to mind the gimmick of using Daryl's popularity to market the game. 

Be excited but be prepared for disappointment, the game industry is a greasy business nowadays and Konami has definitely adapted. 

18. I have never felt more betrayed than when I went to see the Silent Hill movie. And silent hill 5 sucked. Never even finished it. I want so very badly for this to recapture what the first game gave me. My god...the sheer horror...that's what this game needs to provide...horror! Actual horror! As far as I know, there hasn't been a real horror game since Dead Space. That's too fucking long.

I agree with you entirely except for that part. Dead Space isn't real horror, it's gore and jumpscares. 
    For me horror never was about lots of blood or cheap startles, it went way deeper than that. 

20. Norman Reedus said he would play the lead because he is a huge fan of silent hill.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app