Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Any Of You Blow Glass Amateur Or Professionally ? Looking To Learn The Trade.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by snoopdog6502, Aug 15, 2014.

Damn I have a metal cutting lathe and enough tooling to make any fixtures, tools or most anything else to compliment the work.
    Easily adaptable to glassware.

I ordered my regulators, hoses, flashback arrester's and check valves.  There goes the bank account. :D

I need to invest a good $50 -$120 in specialized eye-ware. IR an UV protected to a degree over what I used to torch or plasma arc cut metals.
     The fire is way close to the face and eyes. I developed the habit of staying back, out of the smoke and not needing to put my nose right on the work to get it done. Posture and good body mechanics helps a lot in jobs like that to develop a safer method of working.

Dude Im fucking charged up like a motherfucker over this. :D

No I will get it and watch it right away, sounds real cool.

2. Haha right on brother!

Im psyched as hell too :smoking:

3. [​IMG]
    Let's do this.

Im getting this gear together faster than I thought I would. I have been saving my pennies to make it happen.

Still have some big stuff to buy but am getting it down.

5. I'm happy for you man!

6. Hey snoop I gotta piece you can repair for me for some practice I don't care if it breaks but if it's worth a try fixing it

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410868990.681951.jpg

The helix was the mouth pice attached via a 14 mm male connection at about a 45* angle
    All in need is the male 154mm part put back on seems fairly easy I just can't throw it away lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

I hope to be able to fix items like that, That tells me I will need a bigger kiln, Se after the weld it needs annealed to relive stress bult up from the hot and cold of welding.

In time I would want jobs like that.

8. Dam thought you just welded them up and done.
    Well good luck I'll be following your progression!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

9. I bought shade 5 Safety Glasses today.

So I need to fill a propane bottle. Buy a full oxygen bottle ($250). Then a kiln.

I'm less than 3 weeks away from being able to run with it.

Iv dropped almost $400 and have $300 to go then buy a kiln.

So estimated start up of $1,000.00 is a realistic figure.

Years back I would have been drinking $100-$150 a week in vodka, this hobby is cheap when I look at it like that.

Iv been reading and watching videos, To think that glass has been worked a couple thousand years.
    Its like fucking magic!

I've done blacksmithing for years on the job and for fun. Beating the shit out of red hot iron with a big hammer is very therapeutic.

Here is a knife I made from a railroad spike.
    View attachment 1392895

10. Nice knife, did you ever make any knives with a wooden or bone handle? I really love the looks of them :)

Looks like you will be getting some practice in soon. When you get a kiln, you can also make a range of pendants for jewellery and some different bowls/plates if you invest in some molds.

Im looking at getting some experience in welding/metal work soon. Maybe get a couple quick qualifications to help with a long term job/career. After a bit of experience I should be able to land a great paying job at the mines. Fly in/Fly out work, 2weeks on 1week off, 12/8hr shifts. Upwards of $100,000 a year depending on your experience and job type.

I have made more knives but gave most of them away as gifts. I do that a lot, give away my best work. My metal pipes too are all over the place. Always giving them away

I can invest in graphite and machine most all of my own molds to a degree. I have a metal cutting lathe and milling machine.

I had a friend who could mechanic ,machine,weld and fabricate. He worked in a gold mine in Alaska half the year and made $90,000

He made a good living, would live on an island in the south pacific when not working and his wife was way younger then him. :)

If you want to be any sort of welder learn to machine too. Never a problem finding a job ever! The trades go hand in hand.

I'm an engineer, machinist,welder,blacksmith,draftsman,tattoo artist,computer tech and a farmer. Im adding glass blowing to my resume.

Never quit learning, Do shit you love to do too.

12. Why learn shit you hate when you can do what you love and even make a living out of it if you get good at whatever you do.

Btw snoop after seeing that knife I'm fairly sure id buy anything you made. I would especially love a new and unique glass piece if you ever feel like making some extra $$$.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1331928-Socos-400W-Closet-Grow%2E

13. I second that. Let me know when Snoop glass hits the shelves and I'll pick one up

14. The local head shops know me and want to see what I can do, all 3 of them.

Thanks man, I will realy try my best to kick out some nice shit.

Damn, its you guys that reaffirm my motivation to get after it and do this shit. :D

Im addicted to this hobby and all I ever did is weld a glass bead to a drinking glass and was hooked. Love the fire, a good way to spend a cold winter is in the grow rooms and behind a nice warm torch. Ill have a tan at Christmas time :D

15. Fuck this is gonna be awesome. And you said $1,000 is around what the start up materials cost? That's even more awesome. It'd probably cost more getting the actual experience and getting taught.
    Can't wait till I have the room for all this.

16. Yea well you can buy bit and peices so you chip away. get a propane bottle, oxy bottle, a torch, some glasses. some glass rods little by little. it is a tall order to get all the needed stuff. I'm still working away on it.

My friends have been telling me its a good idea to get started doing it now.

I should be melting glass in less than two weeks.