Russia Invading Ukraine (Again)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vicious, Aug 14, 2014.

1. We've known about shelling from across the border and obvious funding/supplying and training separatists but they've crossed the border with actual Russian plates.

Russian military vehicles enter Ukraine as aid convoy stops short of border

Column of 23 armoured personnel carriers and support vehicles cross border after dark, while 280 trucks come to halt separately

while the white trucks came to a halt well short of Ukraine's border, a different Russian convoy did cross into Ukrainian territory late on Thursday evening.

The Guardian saw a column of 23 armoured personnel carriers, supported by fuel trucks and other logistics vehicles with official Russian military plates, travelling towards the border near the Russian town of Donetsk.

After pausing by the side of the road until nightfall, the convoy crossed into Ukrainian territory, using a rough dirt track and clearly crossing through a gap in a barbed wire fence that demarcates the border.

Armed men were visible in the gloom by the border fence as the column moved into Ukraine. Kiev has lost control of its side of the border in this area.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/14/russian-military-vehicles-enter-ukraine-aid-convoy-stops-short-border

2. I wonder if Russia will win its economic war and gain dominance over America, or if it is just fighting a futile effort in the end.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I don't know enough economics to say. I'm more interested in military strategy. Ukraine started winning the siege of Donetsk, now Russia is coming to the rescue, so it looks.

4. I don't believe Russia could overpower America military wise without first destroying our economy

5. All they have to do is sit back and let Washington do the rest.

6. #6 iAmBetty, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  7. Do you guys really think Russia's end game is to attack us militarily? What do they have to gain from that, more land?

8. #8 iAmBetty, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    Lots of dead russian soldiers to bring home.

9. I think their end game is restoring Russia to its former "glory". Power and GeoPolitical standing.

10. True. But I doubt politics differs anywhere else.

Russia probly will follow suite and fall to the bankers and lobyists

11. Yeah I was reading that, trying to figure out their angle.

12. #14 ProGMO, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Russia is an economic bullying midget. The GDP of the us an eu is 32 trillion vs Russia at 2 trillion. This does not include the Asian nations economic pressures now on board thanks downing the airliner. If push comes to shove the west coils brutally crush Russia's already weak economy. The issue will be is how much pain the eu nations want to take and for how long. 30 euro cents per liter for about 2 years then transition to other gas source willing to replace Russia. The Russians pride themselves on being resilient and tough when times are lean. Ever wonder why they do not smile and think we are insane for smiling so much, we smile when things stink. I put these numbers together when the crisis started up and everyone was touting how strong the commie wannabe Russians were economically. I just wanted to show them how foolish this would be if the nations really opposed the imperialism of Putin.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum