Avoided Car Accidents

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Koh, Aug 14, 2014.

1. #21 njnerd, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    I know it's the law to let those people in, thank you for the attempt on educating me though. I just wanted to hear your opinion about it after that rant in your previous post. I'm from jersey (if it isn't obvious) and basically your "right of way belongs to the driver with the biggest balls" is applicable anywhere that it isn't a normal traffic flow. I don't get angry or insecure when people pass me because I realize I have a slow daily driver, but Im okay with it because I have a 500hp car to fuck around with on weekends. It still pisses me off when people wait until the last second and ill let one car ahead of me if it's an even/calm merge but if people are being dicks then ill tailgate whoever is in front of me 3-8 feet away (obviously higher speed changes distance..) because I know I'm a good enough driver to put the dicks on the road in their place. It's hilarious watching people drive on the shoulder because they were impatient and tried cutting ahead and now they look like the asshole they are driving in the shoulder still trying to merge at the same spot or ahead instead of slowing down and getting behind whoever they were trying to get in front of which is where they should be.

2. I reckon you're confusing me for someone else, since I'd hardly call my posts in this thread a rant.

I wish everyone would play by the rules and 'zip' when merging, but I understand that most people on the road are selfish and/or dumb. It is what it is. What purpose does getting angry serve?

It's unfair to criticize the driver who rocks up to the top of the closing lane before trying to merge, and who then gets stuck on the shoulder, because he's following protocol and the drivers in the open lane should be letting him in.

Again, it's all a non-issue. I have no stress over it. Some of the shit I've witnessed/experienced on the roads of the developing world make even the most shitty of shit storm traffic snarls in Jersey look like a Sunday drive through the park.

3. Ya sorry, cereal killer is the ranter.

Saying why get mad? is wrong imo though. There are multiple instances in which getting mad at something/somebody isn't condusive to anything at all but it still happens so think before you make road rage an isolated example. Also I doubt that only because I worked with a company that does driver training for some time. Anywhere from a normal person like me to people with literally infinite (as literal as that can be) pockets and their personal security teams + military, government, etc. It's real training for people all over the world including the environments you're talking about. This is also where I get my confidence to put people where I feel they should be on the road sometimes. I don't think you get what I meant though in my previous post. Say 25 cars in two lanes and the right lane is closing in 500 feet in a 35mph speed zone. The first 10 cars go Left Right L R L R L R L R but then some asshole on the right tries to make it L R R instead of L R L R. Ill drive side by side with that person for as long as I can and ill put my vehicle inches away from the lines seperating lanes forcing that impatient person to pay the consequences. I realize people do L L R and don't let people in and I force myself in as well. I know the laws and have a general grasp of the physics of vehicles so I don't really take people's shit on the road

Your argument doesn't make much sense, so we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Though on the subject of Western vs. Developing World driving -- have you ever been to a place like India or Thailand? There is no "driver training" because as far as an outsider can tell, there are no rules. There are no lanes, no signs, no signals. Traffic doesn't stop at intersections -- everyone just moves to their own music. Throw a few hundred thousand cars onto the road, a few random cows or even an elephant, rickshaws, bicycles, pedestrians, and a heart-stopping amount of motorbikes with crates piled ten or more feet high and a baby on the drivers lap... it paints a dizzy picture.

When you walk around these places and need to cross the street, you just have to pucker up your bum, take a deep breath, and slowly step out and start walking.

5. One of my friends was driving 3 other friends including me around. We were making a left turn when we a car ran the yellow and was heading straight for us. We all sorta froze for a second and my friend sitting next to me says "do it!" like Josh from Drake and Josh and my friend swerved the fuck out of the way and we sped off. It would of been a nasty t-bone.

6. Was heading to a spot to smoke a blunt or some shit. We are on a backroad and decided to smoke otw.

Fun times but must of been too fun since I missed the stop ahead sign (on top of a hill basically)

I was cruising like seventy and all of a sudden there's a stop sign straight ahead. I slam on the breaks and somehow make the turn (narrow road)

What freaked us out was we went to turn around and check if there's a sign warning, and while we waited a huge truck went by.

So glad we didn't run into that, just got a sedan so ya that would have been bad...

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Not really a close call but I turned into a ramp to get on a highway and there was a car driving against traffic, no idea what he was doing.

8. The only avoided accident I've been involved in is when me and 2 friends went to pick up weed one time. The dealer was chill and smoked us up, but my one friend was being lame and didn't want to smoke because he had to drive us home. Well me and my other friend did. So we're driving to the highway through the city, and my friend just takes off taking a left turn from a stop sign. He didn't even notice the guy on that side of the street walking across the crosswalk. It required my stoned friend in the passenger seat grabbing the wheel and avoiding the guy walking. It was crazy. The guy didn't look like he appreciated it much.

9. One time me and a few buddies were walking to bi mart and we saw this old lady backup of her parking space and hit the car behind her, she then went forward and hit the car in front of her. It was hilarious lol

10. #30 chasegold19, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    The first night i got my license I was driving in the left lane on the highway and this guy merging onto the highway cut all the way over to left lane and would have slammed into me and the car next to me in the right lane if we both hadn't slammed on our brakes

Life's too short so love the one you got

11. He woulda had a dash cam though right? Still woulda been a shitty situation.

12. All my friends (having graduated high school this year) have had their cars for no more than 6 months. It is terrifying lol and I alkost died on the Staten Island Expressway last week. Out of maybe the 10 times Ive been in their cars (have a bike) weve almost been in 3 accidents

13. #33 King Willie, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    INSANITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIn8GJIg0E

14. One day I was driving down a 2 lane road with merging traffic and about 1000 after the merge it went back to one lane. I was in the fast lane and a guy merging who was in the slow lane was going about the same speed as me as we approached where it turned back to 1 lane. We get about 100 feet away and this guy is literally right next to me like he was trying to pass me as we are going 60 mph it was pretty sketchy because i had no idea what this guy was thinking. I'm blaring my horn as we get closer to the 1 lane and still this dude is trying to race me or something. I had to slam on my brakes and just let the guy go ahead of me because he was either gonna keep going straight and into a bunch if trees or switch lanes and swerve into me.

15. ARGH! Totally venting right now, but I super heroically avoided a car accident that three others didnt the other day, just to come out today and find some dick hole totally backed into my car and left last night! FUUUUUUCK  :mad:

But, yeah, I'm the queen of the swerve. phew.

16. The most terrifying was when I was going down this two lane highway by my house. I was going 65 and my sister kept shoving her phone in my face. She was holding a pizza and our little dog, Miko, and I went off the road a bit and made the mistake of over correcting. I then started fish tailing, and new I had to do something, so I yell "Hold Miko" and turn the wheel hard, spun around on the road and rolled backwards into a field. We just kind if looked at each other like "Woooooah" and I drove home, fine and dandy :p

Another time on the same road I was going about seventy, and some idiot coming the opposite way swerved into my lane about ten feet ahead of my and I had to swerve over with half my car driving on the grass, with them halfway into my lane. I about turned around and followed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. One time it was raining really hard (Washington... lol) and I was trying to leave a parking lot. In this parking lot there was a 4-way stop and when I first pulled up I was the only one there. So I was stopped for about 5 seconds before I stepped on the gas but I immediately had to slam on my brakes because some asshole was talking on his phone and had blew the stop sign to the left of me. Mind you it was hard as fuck to stop because of the rain and if I hadn't had stopped I would have slammed right into his kid sitting in the passenger seat. Some people are fucking idiots I tell ya haha

Also the DAY I got my license back when I was 16 I almost T-boned this guy because he blew yet another 4-way stop. 16 year old me was scared shitless haha I wouldn't have survived that in my dad's piece of shit truck that he's since gotten rid of.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I'm not sure, since he was out (twenty miles or so out) of his jurisdiction and I'm assuming off duty.

19. way too many to count, been in about a half dozen incidents (never my fault)

the most epic avoid was making deliveries when the first snow was hitting, driving a mazda miata at 70 or so on an elevated freeway. I realized as soon as I saw the elevated curve that I was in trouble, but somehow when the rear end lost traction it never swung out more than 10-15 degrees. so theres a miata with a pizza light on it kinda drifting through this frozen corner at 70 and i'm like "well i'm dead..." but then i see the end and straightened up easy, just in time to see a cop car and a tow truck...now i'm less worried about my mortality and more worried about getting stopped XD 

this is another epic, but i didn't avoid the accident, I just avoided making it a fatality... I was in Bowling Green KY on the interstate, and where its 3 lanes wide I was in the middle lane (don't ask why, it was stupid) in the pouring rain in a kia sephia at like 10pm with my then-boyfriend... and i was passing two rigs, one with trailer (full 18 wheeler) and the other was a big box truck. well, this box truck decided to move over. the moment he hit his blinker I hit the horn, and held one hand on the horn for the next second or so until his lug nuts started carving into my driver door. the impact pushed us over and almost sideways. I just want to protect my boyfriend and not let him get crushed when we slide under this rig on the other side, so I did something, he says everything was almost robotic, but i kept it from spinning all the way out and fishtailed it back into the middle lane where the box truck was no longer at (having realized someone was there) and in the slide back to my lane slammed the driver side rear fender into the box truck again. kinda an ego boost when someone says "I honestly have no idea how you did it... I thought I'd killed you..."

last one kinda makes me just feel baller... long story short, i was driving a truck with a trailer hitched to it down the interstate, and saw what I thought was kids running across it, news had done a story about kids doing it as another "dangerous game like chubby bunny" recently so yeah... well I got close and saw badges on the two in back, and the other guy wasn't slowing down as he reached my lane... he darted out in front of me and I had to thread the needle between him and the cops without fishtailing the trailer and taking anyone out like the ball n chain powerup from Carmageddon 2... I saw the cops look away, they thought this guy was street pizza... I guarantee their first words when they caught up with him were something to the effect of "you are one LUCKY son of a bitch"

20. #40 BigTank, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014

Funny coincidence there..old people. I swear to god with my superior driving skills and by the luck of God I wasnt killed in a head on collission this one time going into work. They need to have a retake on drivers tests to deem you as a safe driver as all my witnessing of ridiculous driving and or near miss accidents are seniors well past 70+. Where they should stop driving. How many times have you seen a car plow thru a gas station or building and its cause some old fuck mistook the accelerator pedal for the brake?

Had to take this side road as it was quick and there was mad detours on the main way I take. It was half dark so people had headlights on still(including myself) and the road you can see the light/intersection as soon as you turn onto the road for like a good mile. Light is green so im going the speed limit, right as im about to cross the intersection(light is still green, never went to yellow) some old bitch pulls out in front of me from the other side trying to turn in front of me..and I kid you not it was literally like almost on purpose to cause a accident, imagine if your waiting for a car to come thru the intersection and u were waiting to turn left(in front of them) and right as they are about to cross u decide to pull out at the very last second, it was that close. If it wasnt for the old person I wouldve swore it was a hit job to kill me...cause nobody could be that stupid to drive like that.

I slammed on my brakes, skidded, and It was so close I closed my eyes and braced for impact, thought I was done for. I come to a stop open my eyes and im INCHES from this dumb broads car...the traffic around the whole intersection froze like HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS ALMOST A DOUBLE FATALITY. I drove to work and was shaking for about another good 20 minutes after having the near miss.

Another time at a yellow warning light(meaning cross traffic is waiting/caution, but they have the red light meaning stop for cross traffic) LUCKILY I looked in my mirror to notice if anyone was on the side of me in the slow lane, I was in the fast lane. I take off from the red light start getting up to speed, a semi pulls out at the last minute at the yellow light as they always do thinking FUCK YA YOULL SLOW DOWN, so I do slow down a bit, knowing id be fine, then some bitch decides to pull out behind the semi at the last minute after hesitating, she had to come to a complete stop because the semi was slowly turning into the lane and she was right behind him...I slam on my brakes and move over to the right a bit. OH MAN I WAS HOT AND CUSSING. I turned around and followed this bitch into the gas station and called the cops on her ass, then pulled the fuck out after completing the call.

Tips to be a superior defensive driver:

- If your in heavy traffic or driving behind someone you suspect to be a poor driver, check your mirrors and know whos around you and if you can get over if need be.

-IF you have to swirve, jerk the wheel hard/quick, but dont cut it so far that you'll spin your car or lose control. On most cars assuming wheel is centered up/down its turning the top of the wheel to about just above a diagonal down right/left, this is enough turn on the wheel usually to quickly jump lanes and get out of the way with minimal fish tailing. I did this the other day going about 55. THX god nobody was beside me as I couldnt look in time as it was so quick I had to get out of the way.

- Havent used this but thought about it, using the hand brake to help slow down and or slide the vehicle. Possibly you could manuever your car into a slide around a obstacle or enough to shift the car at a angle to avoid a collission. However I wouldnt recommend this unless you know how your handbrake handles. Unless I use alot of muscle and pull mine hard the rear tires dont lock up and it actually helps slow the car down a bit..AND always have the button depressed on the hardbrake if I ever pull it, if you let go and yank on it IT WILL LOCK THE BACK WHEELS AND SKID!.

- Dont fuck around on your cellphone(from my swirve above) you never know when someone in front of you will jam on the brakes at the last minute and put their turn signal on to turn. Fuck with the phone when NOBODY is in front of you at all and no on-ramps/side streets exist for someone to pull out in front of you and slowly get up to speed.

-Maintain the speedlimit or 5mph over. Going any faster your breaking the pace/flow of traffic and unless your paying attention 100% someone pulling out wont give a shit and just pull out and your fucked cause your speeding. Old folks dont give a shit and you always have to watch for them, theyll pull out and just figure youll slow down cause you see them.