Mining On The Moon

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by PeacefulToker14, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Mining on the moon probably won't happen. Any resource mined on the moon would have to be extremely valuable. Exponentially more valuable than any natural resource on earth. Otherwise, from an economic perspective mining the moon would be unjustifiable.

Imagine how expensive it would be to transport any material to and from the moon. It just doesn't make sense.

2. @[member="Mantikore"] thank you for clearing it up. I understand what you mean.
    That's also a great way to think about it. It's the right way to go for humanity, and if they could somehow fix the environment rather than hurt it then I would be all for mining on the moon. It would also hopefully stop much of the drilling, mining and fracking done here on earth.
    It would be cool to go to a colony on the moon or mars or somewhere.

About the planets and finding planets for resources here. That made me think. Many of the Alien movies created were about coming to earth for resources. If you speak about finding for planets that have resources you need. In a way, your saying the human race is the Alien in those movies. As in we're just looking for more elements that help us to survive as a race.
    Which is understandable to do so. But hopefully the rich and greedy don't get out of hand with it and take these(possible) steps forward too far.

3. read this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

http://www.explainingthefuture.com/helium3.html

It's a very rare element that could be used for more economical energy. Nuclear fusion is the type of energy it can create. I believe that nuclear fusion is one of the most resourceful energies.

4. Yes but you must realize just how huge the moon is.

See all those holes on the moon? Those are impact craters from asteroids. Each time this happens, more mass is addeded to the moon. The moon gains and loses mass naturally and its orbit also changes (just by so little we cannot measure it)

When we mind, we take tons and tons of rocks, and sift through it all for maybe a few pounds of metals.

Saying human mining on the moon will effect its gravity is like saying a human blowing on a tree will knock it over. Its really that insignificant

Also remember that we can always add material to the moon to compensate for what we take.

The final thing to remember us this. The moon is moving away from earth and the sun is going to go red giant one day. Either way the earth is doomed tto a fiery it icy death (probly one then the other)

If you really want to protect earth, its up to humans to get to the point technologically where we can save earth from nature ourselves.

we shouldn't destroy our home, but we also shouldn't not do things just because they are dangerous. If not for humans, earth would just die anyway

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. You are right that it isn't economically feasible to take things to and from earth. But that's exactly why we SHOULD mine on the moon.

Think about it. If we want to make a space ship or space station, or a MOON base, we would have to send materials up from earth. That's expensive. We can just get those materials from the moon.

6. #46 Uncle_Meat420, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    WHAT IS ALIVE ON THE MOON?

NOTHING!

Really did you even think about this,.,......or just react with a "all technological advancement is bad!" kind of attitude. Where do you think the components for you computer or the house you live in came from!? Go live in the forest you will see why people use the earths resources: the reason is the earth wants to kill everything with heat and cold and water and shit. Humans made the earth there bitch for this reason. 

7. my god I'm facepalming so hard imma break my nose

8. The only thing an advanced alien race would come to Earth for is life.. and I have a feeling that basic life will be pretty common out there. If they need resources, it'd be far easier to just find a barren planet. That's why those Ancient Aliens theories about aliens creating us as slaves to mine gold are ridiculous. There's probably planets out there with no intelligent life to fight back that have more gold than Earth has mass. Awhile back astronomers spotted what they believe to be a planet made mostly out of diamond like material, but I don't know if what they saw was ever confirmed. Hard to confirm the specifics of planets so far away.

Mobile mumbling..

9. hmmm. More gold tthan earth has mass?

Gold suddenly becomes worthless lol

10. Most materials would be once we perfect space travel. I remember when they were talking about mining asteroids and comets that they'd gather some rare metal, maybe platinum?, and one comet would have more than what has been mined on Earth in the entire history of mining on Earth. If that ever happened, the cost of the material would drop dramatically, well should. People can be greedy.. I know I don't have to tell you, lol, but space to me represents unlimited resources. If you could travel the cosmos like driving down the road in your car, you'd have access to whatever you need. Of course we'd probably want to figure out warp drive.. hopefully that will work out for us.

Mobile mumbling..

11. maybe this is what's stopping space exploration

I'm sure there are people with a lot to lose if the pm market inflated over night

12. We can find numerous ways to build things without that stuff, it's just the corporations who don't want to.

13. Definitely. Classic example is hemp/weed. Many businesses would crumble if it was fully legalized and industrialized.. but its always like that. Those who are making money hamper anything that threatens that, but once that hump is crossed there isn't much they can do. Just a matter of getting over that hump.

Mobile mumbling..

That just poses a lot more questions though. How can we construct a moon base without materials? The level of technology required in such an endeavour would require plastics and metals - all of which would need to be fabricated in factories on earth. In order to make the materials on the moon, you'd have to build factories first. So either way, vast amounts of materials would need to be sent to the moon.

15. Ummmmmmmm.... what?

Are you saying the corperations are hiding the fact that we can use wood to make.computers?

I could see possibly the idea that synthetic materials could be made from biological material, however that sstill requires equipment and energy that we cannot synthesize.

Care to share your ideas? I don't see an alternative toto mining

16. this is true you need startup costs. But in the long run we wont be able to build anything significant out there without a moon base first

17. No corporations won't acknowledge the fact that there are other sources to make their appliances whether it be a fridge or PC.

18. I agree with you. They prolly have the resources they need around them(if they're alive). Really? That's interesting. I'm sure if it was confirmed they would already be working towards reaching that planet to mine it and get as much diamonds as they can. But who knows? Maybe it is confirmed and mining the moon is a step towards mining more farther out planets from us.

I didn't say anything about technologicaladvancements being bad. I said that if mining te moon affects the environment of earth in a bad way than I'm against it.
    Your missin the point of everything I say. Wood, metal, gold, silver, etc... It's all cool to have. And it's not about taking te resources of the earth it's how we do it. Obviously you aren't informed enough. Do you know what hydro-fracking is? Do you know how much water they use? How much chemicals they put into the earth? Did you know there are safe ways to drill, mine, frack? But guess what? Big greedy corporations don't care about cleaning up their mess or doing Everything safe. They take the earth for granted. They radiate the water around fracking sites, pollute the air, and all this causes animals to die and gives people cancer.
    Don't do a quick google search since you don't believe me. Take your time and look into this shit.
    I never said technological advancements are bad. If I did that would mean I don't believe in solar energy. That I would believe that's bad. Guess what buddy? I'm all about solar panels. A house down the street from me has them.
    Technology can be good or bad. It's the way we use it.
    Looking and excavating for renewable resources is the way to go. But most companies leave out all the safe ways and go right to the quickest way to put money in their pockets.
    And btw no my dad didn't say so, I did all my research on my own. So don't try using that line again...
    Nice to hear from you again though it's been awhile.

Thanks for that Info I never thought about all the asteroids that hit the moon and all. So I guess when it does come down to it mining shouldn't affect earth that much?

We could add material but te thing is will the companies do that? Hopefully but for now seeing how they don't clean up and leave a mess on earth it's doubtful(for now) to think they will take the time to make sure earth's environment is the same.

The moon is moving away from earth? What happens when it starts to drift too far? I do know that part that one day the sun will burn red and burn the earth to pieces.

It seems right now we are getting more and more technologically advanced. I remember when I was in 9th or 10th grade i had study hall, my teacher was a math teacher that did te class. When I didn't have any work to do, he would show me this book that was written somewhere in the 1950s-1970s( I can't remember) and it was talking about how invisible cloaks, jet packs(are created now) plasma guns, and abunch of other futuristic ideas were possible to create. And that was back then people had those ideas, think about how far scientist and inventors are thinking in our time. I can't remember the name of the book but I will try to find it if you haven't heard of it.

I agree we shouldn't destroy it and shouldn't stop advancing.personally it's all just about how we do it. If companies took the time to excavate safely, then I wouldn't have a problem with anything and would help support those companies. Since they don't want to "waste" the money on safe acts, I disagree with what they're doing.

19. Well its hard to say. I can imagine scenarios where accidents on the moon and iin space might potentially effect people on earth. But insignificant in the grand scheme and I don't thing pollution on the moon will effect earth.

All in all, no, I think the risks of moon mining are not only minimal, but worth it.

Well this is a seperate issue. Not trusting.companies to be safe is seperate from the debate about weather or not moon mining is a good idea.
    The theory is that the gravitational rotation from the moon helps keep the core hot and spinning. When the moon gets too far the earth will simply go dormant. The core will slow and the planet will.cool.

Our magnetic field will weaken. Eventually we will look like Mars.
    How do you feel about nuclear energy?

20. • I get what your saying, and I agree polluting the moon wouldn't have effects on earth. The only concern is taking huge amounts of the moon causing an affect on the earth. But in another conversation I had with someone else, they were talking about how what if we find out how to control the environment of earth by adding and taking away weight. If we could learn how to do that then in believe that would be a huge step forward for the human race.
    • Exactly. I feel as if I'm more concerned about the company and how they carry out their practices than the actual idea of mining the moon.
    •oh. I understand now. That being said we would be nothing without the moon? That would be very cool if they could come up with an idea to put more weight on the moon to keep it in a steady rotation around the earth at a steady length away where the perfect environment could be created on earth.
    •nuclear energy so far is the most sufficient source of energy we found. The key element is helium-3. Helium-3 is found deep within the earth, but scientist found more of this element on the moon. That's the whole purpose for mining the moon. I also briefly read last night that through helium-3 they can create nuclear fusion energy which is tehe most sufficient and economical energy source found to this day. So that being said, I'm happy they are thinking to mine the moon rather than mine and take more from the earth. In a way I agree with mining the moon. I have no concerns other than companies making a mess.
    • If It came down to you or anyone asking me the question mine the earth or the moon? I would answer with the moon is the better place to excavate over the earth.