Mining On The Moon

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by PeacefulToker14, Aug 14, 2014.

1. This is actually a common scifi theme.

Basically so far from authority, buisnesses could create a new system of slavery.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. As a geology major I say let's do it! Job security at its finest :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. I do not believe humans will have a sigificant eeffect on the moons gravity.

By the time we do, we will have the technology to simply add more.mass.to the mmoon. We can literally mold the entire solar system.

But that might end up bad too.

the lesson here is that discovery is dangerous, but it is superior to staying on earth in an endless cycle of life until the sun engulfs earth.

I think even if earth becomes sacrificed in the long.run, that wont be as bad as humans never having.left earth in the first place.

I'd rather see a galactic civilization form then see earth preserved forever

• Like Like x 2
    Indeed, a common trope in Sci-Fi.  Though not on the moon I'm thinking of movies like "Outland" and such.  I believe it's also somewhat depicted in the Mobile Suit Gundam series, though again not specifically on the moon, though there is a base there.

5. Noooooooooo.... Please No

Spaceman Charlie..

6. This is true. The benefits could POSSIBLY encourage more space inhabitation via more technology and education out there

7. #27 PeacefulToker14, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    yes I saw this last night on the science channel now I know it's mainstream media so it may not be 100% true but then I searched online and as I said In a previous post that NASA is now trying to partner up with private mining companies so they can start mining the moon.
    The moon has some minerals that are deep within the earth. So if they went to the moon hopefully they would stop destroying the earth.

EDIT: I'll search the internet later for some links if you don't believe me and I'll post them here later tonight.
    The name of the tv show was called "man v. Universe"

8. Why can't we just not dig into planets/moons and live on them peacefully? Fuck you rich elites. :)

9. as I said before I'm starting to get more into the universe and all. So that being said:

China isn't successful with their space missions?
    Yeah I'm finding that out that NASA is trying to be under the radar possibly with this one. There was a group of like 4 or 5 scientists for NASA that were creating a machine that is equipped with a very high quality camera. If they can make the camera the way they're tryin too then they get like a $125k grant for creating the best camera. The reason for the camera is what I understood it as is that the higher quality the camera the better pictures they can get of the minerals their looking for.
    I'm against fracking so hearing about mining the moon is also kinda hurting me.
    If companies that mine and frack and all do it safely where the environment wouldn't be destroyed I wouldn't have a problem with it.

10. I believe you I just think "killing the moon" is a dumb tthing to say.

The moon has no atmosphere or ecosystems. Its only effect on earth is gravity.

So unless you eany to preserve a giant rock just as nature intended, logically speaking, moon mining won't affect earth

11. where do you think the metals used in your computer came.from?

12. Wether this is true or not, I do not know. Although I've recently been to Kennedy space station in Florida. NASA was displaying the camera (via video of course) saying it was to explore new galaxies/stars/blackassholes, and all that fun stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that the cameras build purpose could be approached from many angles. With all the same purpose, but used in a different way.

13. it does sound funny lol
    sorry I got confused. can you clear it up a little bit?
    If mine on the moon we would be taking from the moon. Wouldn't that affect the density of the moon? Making it lighter which would affect the gravity. If the gravity of the moon affects Mother Nature then mining on the moon would affect Mother Nature.

14. what's the same purpose? Exploration and searching for certain things in space?
    And the way is used for mining sites and exploring for new possible-life planets?

15. Exactly. It can be imposed it's going to be used for anything

• Like Like x 1
  16. Look at it this way. Scientists get super high quality camera for their research. The public gets to use the technology that made it to make their own. People can use those cameras for a lot of things. Hd movies/tv, exotic fish videos, you name it.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

If we reach the point where we can mine the moon, the material we mine will more than likely be coming to Earth. Take away mass from the moon, add it to Earth.. and will probably have a balancing effect. It'll be a pretty long time yet til we'd be able to mine the moon in the mass amounts needed to cause a major effect, and by then we'll probably have our sights a lil further out. Besides, I don't think it'd be too terrible if we jacked up the moon. Maybe we can make it crumble into a ring, have one high tide a day, and who knows, it could produce more stable weather conditions.. Even if I wasn't able to visit it or live in it, I'd love to look up and see a moon colony cause it's a step in the right direction. Once we cross the space travel barrier, most of our problems will fade away. Need some gold? There's probably a barren planet out there made up of 80% gold out there somewhere. Need to supply a planet with water? There's vast reservoirs out there containing enough water to fill up a billion Earths.

As they say, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.. It's only logical that the first egg for our cosmic omelet be the moon.

18. Saturn look like it got some crazy shit in it, let's go there instead.

Sent from my~★☆Continuum Transfunctioner☆★

19. I get what your saying now they can use it for whatever lol.
    Yeah I get that and it's awesome because I love photography so I can't wait for this technology to become be out for the public!
    I just have a problem with cameras being used to help identify the resources on the moon.

20. LMAO!!!!