Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Actually Realizing Im Depressed, Is Mj An Answer?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Seanage311, Aug 12, 2014.

1. one of the great things about a high concentration of cannabinoids is the increase in serotonin. serotonin increase means depression decrease. please research

2. Galaxy420: I would love to read the literature that supports your statement that "a high concentration of cannabinoids is the increase in serotonin". Please provide references since you must have well researched this topic.

Meanwhile, here are few references suggesting the relationship between cannabinoids, serotonin, and depression are not so clear cut:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002109900147
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=438901&fileId=S1461145705005651
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390812004741

Indeed, you are correct in that one theory of depression treatment is hinges upon up-regulating serotonin in the synapse to decrease depressive symptoms. This is the function of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class of depression medications (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor#List_of_agents). Since SSRIs are not universally effective in reducing depression (otherwise we'd need no other treatment), serotonin levels by themselves cannot fully explain the depression etiology.

3. #23 Galaxy420, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    I have no scientific reference testing because cannabis is a schedule 1 substance with reputable tests only being allowed to re enforce the scheduling placement which the tests do not provide anything about the health benefits unless you consider the patent on cannabinoids as neuroprotectants that must have had proper testing??  anyway, the phoenix tears web site article I read talks about the increase in serotonin with so many people so I took that and ran with it making my own conclusions.  conclusion one- an increase in serotonin knocks down free radical damage that depresses the organism. conclusion two- thc bumps your depression to make you not feel depressed and feel good, the reason most people use cannabis. just smelling good smelling cannabis uplifts my spirit and takes away depression of all kinds.

edit- because the only verified test so far placing the cannabinoid as a neuroprotectant has led to a conclusive result.

4. I have difficulty following your argument. Yes, the fact that cannabis is Schedule 1 does prohibit conducting some of the "gold standard" scientific tests that would be needed. This is a shame, because I am always in favor of more, better scientific study. Nonetheless, animal models are used to understand the effects of all sorts of compounds on the brain, whose results can inform the possible effects of those compounds on human brains (hence, some of the studies I previously cite on the effects of THC and other cannabinoids on serotonin action).

Your claim that because a patent exists on cannabinoids as a neuroprotectant (however that is defined and evidence of which you do not provide), then it must follow that it has had proper testing for safety or efficacy is flawed. You do not need to prove that a drug is safe or effective to receive a patent. The safety and effectiveness of medications (in the US) is determined by a FDA process, which requires several stages of scientific study. For example, there have been several medications based upon THC and other cannabinoids that have or are currently going through this FDA process (http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000883).

The Phoenix Tears website wants to sell you Phoenix Tears. Maybe their literature cites scientific studies to back the claims you are simply repeating. If so, it would helpful for you to look more closely at their literature and post information on the scientific studies they reference. Again, you wish to make the argument that THC affects depression through serotonin and "free radical damage", but what convincing evidence do you produce other than asking people to take your word for it?

5. bro, I said that I decided upon the info based on finding/piecing other info together and ran with it. I went to buy pheonix tears and read info while there- joke, phoenix tears are not for sale and the fact you said that well leaves me with big blank(WTF!). you will not find any reputable studies fda approved accept for the patent for cannabinoids which was approved so must have been studied correctly to gain patented status??????? please look up the patent yourself if you do not know about it.

plus the biggest thing for me is what happens directly through direct experience with the cannabis. all the studies in the world do not have any sway to my own experience for myself and even what I see happen with others experiencing cannabis compounds. there may be similarities but I leave it at that.
    and the biggest question that will leave all of the prohibitionists in the dust.  as the overall consensus amongst people everywhere- do you not feel good after consuming cannabis? good being subjective of course as per each persons opinion of good but even still the person will in general feel better .  so what is going to happen when cannabis is used to help bring the pleasure centers to the forefront to be more pronounced than the depression experienced five minutes prior. simple 1+2+3= depression- consume cannabis=no depression at least for a little while. people looking for relief any way possible

6. Since you provide no links, I can only guess from a Google search which sites of "Phoenix Tears" you refer. If you are referring to this site, http://phoenixtears.ca, then no, the oil itself is not for sale, although literature is available for sale. Again, the patent office does not approve or deny patents based on the safety or effectiveness of the invention, nor is the patent office even equipped to evaluate the scientific or health claims made in the patent application. The patent office cares whether the invention in the application is unique and falls within the criteria for what can be patented. The FDA evaluates safety and effectiveness of drugs and medical devices. Pharmaceutical companies patent new drugs and then seek FDA approval.

If you believe personal experience trumps medical science, then that is your opinion and you're free to give it. But when you express an opinion that can be evaluated scientifically, but then cannot back those opinions with evidence, then others can choose whether or not to take you at your word. Absolutely, most people who smoke weed feel better and less depressed, but not everyone has the same experience, and those who look towards weed to solve their depression should be aware of it.

7. I believe that my website medicalcannabisknowledge.com can provide relevant information. It's full of all types of medical cannabis information. I'd appreciate it if ya'll would check it out and leave some feedback.