Grower / Plant Tracking Software

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mantriur, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Let me know if it happens again please.

There is a lesser visible update: The whole app is now cached locally. When you are logged in and lose your internet connection (i.e. visiting your guerilla grow with a notebook), the app will notice and work in offline mode until your internet connection is restored. When "insecure mode" is selected and you haven't used the log-off button, you can even load the start page while offline and will be asked if you'd like to work with your cached version. I should probably add a "prepare for offline mode" button to make this feature more accessible for people not using the insecure mode.

Bigger image uploads (> 300kb) are also possible now, though image loading times are abysmally slow due to the encryption part. It's better to use smaller images.

Everything else should be fairly obvious - (options page).

2. Reactive layout now switches to a one column layout on the overview page for small resolutions, which also allows the overall font size to be much bigger. It was getting too tiny. It's not very usable on phones and doesn't even work in the standard android browser for some reason, but it should be ok for tablets. I don't have one. Could someone check please?

I'm calculating the average watering time for warnings now (needs at least 3 waterings, also shows when hovering over the "watered x days ago" info), but I'm not sure how to handle repotting. :/ Right now I'm counting repotting as a watering, because I don't think many people repot into dry soil, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was actually time for more water without the repotting ... what do you guys think? Might be a hellishly inaccurate statistic anyway. :(

3. I'm thinking the idea is useful, but you may have to wait until the next watering of the plant AFTER repot -then have it start the time over based on the old average water frequency. kind of like
    "your next watering date will not appear until you've watered the plant once after transplant "

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1308910-135W-Led--Organic-1St-Grow

4. Yeah, using a repot as a cutoff point seems like the most sensible way to do it ...

I removed all but one font format when I added the offline caching to reduce the download size. Looks like I went a bit overboard with that. I've added truetype fonts back in, which are the most compatible after woff, the icons are now back on Android. You might need to reload, wait 20 seconds, and reload again, because everything is cached locally ... or clear the browsers data cache. :/

I have the strangest issue with the android browser: When the pages are sent gzipped, the android browser just displays the gzip clutter, it does not decompress them. I've now removed that (50kb more page weight. :() and it works, but at the top of the actual app page, I see the HTTP response header (HTTP./1.1 200 OK etc ...). It doesn't do that on the front page. I'm completely puzzled. Do you see similar issues with dolphin?

5. #26 tenshuu, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Dolphin browser sees it as /manage.php. icons are back. Can you put an exit button on popup information when you select a plant - sometimes it gets in the way of the onscreen info and I have to select a different plant to see.

Edit: chrome shows the correct url/header for me too.

6. #27 mantriur, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    Update:

- Images can now be resized client side. This also removes the EXIF data (GPS, Camera) at least on Chrome, haven't checked in other browsers yet, but should also be removed there.

- You can now change your password (talk about the obvious)

- Some layout improvements

- The Strain module can now also track heritage and number of seeds for those producing their own strains. (Optional, must be enabled)

- Couple of quick links between interfaces were added. (Plant a seed, clone a plant, view mother/father)

- Watering cycle is now measured since last repot.

- Plants can now be archived to remove them from the overview

- Data export format changed to fix the random checksum mismatch errors.

And to whoever added a bunch of problem events named "the police was here" to the test garden: Very funny.

7. Can't zoom in on page on my Samsung gs4 no matter which layout I use.... Starting to get hard to select quick icons or read quick overview when a lot of plants start getting added... Even at 7 it's tough. Any chance for larger interface or something for zoom? Still loving this program....

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

The site should adjust to the browser/screen size. Thing is, mobile devices report all kinds of different virtual screen resolution. When you open the page in a regular browser and then reduce the horizontal size of the window, you see how it scales. The one column view is for mobile. Do you see that type of layout or are you getting two columns on your phone? Dolphin browser, right?

I haven't tested much on mobile. I think it scaled in chrome for mobile, but not in the android browser; haven't tried dolphin. For me everything on mobile is too small. :p

9. Single column and still too small? Huh. So what would be a good mobile layout for this? I have to check which settings I used to make it scale on mobile, it's possible that that disabled zooming. Is it really practical to zoom in on a button/plant all the time?

10. I think it would be... Currently I hit like 3 buttons at a time trying to choose one. It doesn't need to be a super zoom, but either browser seems to expand the entire grow to fit on a single screen, which makes text and buttons smaller and smaller... Going to test it on a dummy account to see if it really does get smaller as the grow gets larger.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

11. #33 mantriur, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    No no, it doesn't get bigger as you add more plants, just as the screen resolution gets smaller. If the width fills the whole screen and you have a single column layout, that's about as big as it gets.

So I have to find a way to enable the zoom and still scale properly ...

12. #34 mantriur, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    Ok, I'm using a different scaling method now, which should help to better fill the screen on different devices. Zooming should also be possible.

If you see any lines breaking where they shouldn't (most notably the last watered/last repotted block), please let me know. According to Chromes mobile rendering simulator it should display properly on pretty much all devices, but results differ between browser engines and I went pretty close to the limit ...

Edit: Due to the local caching, getting the latest version of the site is a bit not-so-straight-forward. :) You have to reload the page, then wait for the cache to update, and then reload again. Unfortunately you have no good way to see when that update is done on mobile. It needs to download approximately 300kb, so depending on your connection it'll take between a few seconds and a minute if you're on a slow mobile uplink.

Edit2: You might want to use your device horizontally if you're not doing it already. Page size is dependent solely on screen width, as vertical scrolling is a common and accepted thing, while horizontal scrolling is not. In horizontal orientation you're getting bigger buttons. Still kinda hard to hit for my taste, but about the size of the android keyboard keys, so probably bearable for someone used to mobile. :)

Edit3 (yeah, I know. :): Which Android version does the Galaxy S4 have? I have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.3. If you have 4.4, could you check Cannacalc in the Android browser? That one is behaving very weird for me.

13. Checking on lunch in a couple hours.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

Bummer, doesn't work with 4.4 then either. Two columns is the desktop layout. Thanks for testing! :)

15. Great app. Thanks

16. #40 mantriur, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014

Huh. Good question. The different phases of the plant are determined automatically depending on which dates are set, because I didn't want to make people hit an extra button for that, but this in return now makes it near impossible to recycle all that. The only thing I could think of would be a special cloning type option, which would mark it as a reveg instead of a clone. It'd still technically be a new plant and just be a cosmetic change. "Mother plant" would turn into something like "This plants last cycle" ... not sure if that'd be of much help.

Another thing I really need to add are hydro options.

Edit: Out of curiousity, why are you revegging? I was under the impression that revegging isn't really faster than a fresh clone ... How long does it take to revert from flowering?