Grower / Plant Tracking Software

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mantriur, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Since I did not find a grower software to my liking, I've started to develop my own, which I'd like to present here. It is partially inspired by Herb.IQ, which implements a lot of good ideas.

While it is an online tool, security plays a major role in development. It combines the convenience of a web-based application with the security of a native one. Development is ongoing and it's far from being complete, but I feel it is already very usable.

It's here: https://cannacalc.com

Due to the ongoing development things may break, which can either mean I'm currently working on it and it will be fixed in a few minutes, or there's a bug I don't and would very much like to know about.

I have to confess to already having posted this on two other forums, but feedback was thin on one and non-existent on the other. That leads me to believe that either people don't like it or don't need it. While I appreciate positive feedback like anyone else, I would like to encourage you not to hold back on the criticism. If no one wants or likes it, I wouldn't mind knowing why. :)

I really like this. I only used it a little bit so far but I noticed when I tried to create 3 strains at once I could only see 2 of them on the drop down menu to create a new plant.

I think it should be able to be downloaded and run locally.

maybe you could eventually work on a strain database so it could come with tips for growing your particular strain.

The name suggests it performs calculations but I don't really see how that relates. The title is manage my garden maybe the name could relate to that like CannaManager or CannaTracker.

Good idea though bro. Keep working on it I think it could gain popularity.

3. #4 mantriur, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014

Whoops, will check. :)

That's a request someone made before. It's a bit paradox, because it really runs mostly local - the server is just a data dump. But it runs in a browser and the abilities of a browser to interact with your hard drive are very limited. In debug mode it runs almost exclusively locally, but it stores the data in something called "local storage" of the browser, which is subject to browser cache deletes. Else than that you could only save/load the data manually, which is already partially possible with the import/export function, but it would be a chore ...

Seedfinder API integration is on the list, but it's a bit of a headache to get the access working. I've also considered giving people the option to share their strain database so everyone else also sees that data. A bit like Wikipedia, but it needs some ideas to prevent abuse.

Heh. Well, for one it was one of the few still available domains I could come up with. But for me it really is about the simple calculations it does. I really liked the overview idea Herb.IQ had on the home page, but I wanted more data in a format I could easily understand. In the case of growing it's mostly the difference between from and to date and X days. I want the software to do that math, to tell me how long which plant has been in which stage, how many days left till estimated harvest, what things I noticed last week with which plant, and the week before that ... and I didn't want to spend all day inputting that data.

So cannacalc is really all about that overview page. It still lacks most of the detail, because the basics had to be there first, but ideally it should show everything you need to know in a simple and intuitive format, and allow you to enter the data quickly. I added the watered event first, because that is really the best example: Logging every watering is something I never did before, because it was too much work and the information wasn't really easy to get at later anyway. But when it's just two clicks and the information is part of a full picture, then even these simple things can be logged and helpful.

Edit: There's a test copy under the login testGarden / 123456 ... it gives a better picture of what it's supposed to look like without having to input a bunch of plants. Please don't delete anything. :)

4. Nice. Well, I haven't gone out looking to see what else is out there but I like this, stick with it.

5. Alright, had a minute on lunch. I like it. Checked out your test setup to get a quick view. Got an idea to add to your list of eventual features if you don't mind: allow a way to category an entire cycle of plants together to calculate data line avg. Dry weight per plant, grams per watt... I'm a huge number geek with statistics like that. Would just save time.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1308910-135W-Led--Organic-1St-Grow

6. I love statistics, but I haven't found many opportunities for them yet. The active part of the test garden are actually my current plants - perpetual grow, two tents, long veg. Not much to run statistics over.

Averages for dry weight are a good idea. Could be per strain, per veg time, etc ... For grams per watt I need to know the wattage. I want bulb age tracking anyway. Thing is, what I didn't want is to start with rooms and assigning plants to rooms. Herb.IQ has that and I find it cumbersome. Not sure how to solve that yet ...

7. I use Herb IQ quite a bit  si I will deff give this a try..and let ya know.....thanx for letting us beta for ya

8. No rush on it. I setup mine last night, it's a very clean overview to help me organize my grow anyway.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

9. got my first garden set and looks good so far but it shows time til harvest as already harvested on the overview page, just so ya knows, but the software looks tight

10. after logging out and closing the page and going back it wont let me log back in tho..gives an improper username error

11. He could be working on it right now, check back in a bit. You can't recover your password, he did make a warning on the account creation screen

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

12. #13 mantriur, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014

Not sure I understand. It shows negative time to harvest or it shows the plants in the "harvested" section? This might be a misunderstanding: Time to harvest is calculated from the flower start date and the estimated flowering time in the strain database. Once you set a harvest date for an individual plant it means you actually harvested it at that date. The different phases are set automatically depending on which dates are already there. It could be an option to add target dates later ...

Edit: Coming to think of it, right now I'm not handling negative dates at all. I could check for that and just assume "target dates" if they are negative.

Uh ... no idea. :( The problem is, I have zero human readable data (on purpose). Your garden name isn't case sensitive. Your garden is identified by a hash over the lowercase name. If it tells you that the garden doesn't exist, the name is wrong. If the password is wrong, it will tell you that it can't decrypt the data.

Which browser are you using? If it's a problem with the name, would you mind PMing me your garden name so I can check the hash?

Edit: Future dates are now considered "projections" and are displayed like past phases, but below the bigger/bold current phase information. Estimated harvest time has been renamed to "strain harvest time" to make the origin of the data a bit clearer. I still wouldn't recommend using the dates like that, because once the projected time approaches, the system has no way of knowing if you just wanted to do it or actually did it - the plant will automatically proceed to the next stage when the time comes.

13. I've just implemented a hint system. Unfortunately now that I want to fill it with data, my mind is blank. Can you guys think of things new growers like to mess up, advanced growers might like to know, or experts regularly forget? For example I personally am an absolute expert in missing the window for PK13/14. :-D I see a lot of new growers burning their seedlings with fertilizer. Etc.

Reminders are presented when they are due, general grow information when it could be applicable. Ideally I would like a new grower to be able to skip most mistakes by following the advice.

What I have so far to give you an idea (needs polishing):

Lower experience levels will also see the advice for higher levels, that's why it's a bit more verbose that it probably needs to be for just that level.

14. Oh? No, was up all the time, but I switched hosts a few days ago, because the guys hosting my servers suggested I take my Cannabis business elsewhere. :)

What's the problem? Not getting a response at all? Is it still not working? I screwed up the SSL certificate chain for like two days, but only Firefox noticed ... if you got some ssl type error in Firefox, that might have been it.

In the meantime I've added a lot of stuff. The overview page is now actually useful as it should be. There's also a list type view for it, because the blocks got kinda confusing. :)

15. #17 tenshuu, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
    The page would load for an infinite amount of time. Earlier this morning I managed to login and update some stuff, then I tried again about an hour ago and got the infinite load again lol.

Just tried now while typing this and it works again.

Edit: FYI I use dolphin browser on my phone, occasionally chrome, but I got the same issue with chrome back when it was acting up.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:

16. Awesome dude. Keep updating it and it can only get better. Hope you market it and make some money.

Very strange. You mean the actual main page not showing at all or are you getting stuck during the login or something similar? If it's the full page load, can you wait a bit next time it happens? If it's a normal network issue, your browser should give you a timeout error after a minute or so.

Thanks! :) There isn't a business plan attached to it. If it becomes really popular, maybe I can sell some front page real estate to sponsors. :)