some CO2 generation tips

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by midweststoner, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Nope.....it's 1 big ass BlueBerry Skunk plant that was given to me by a friend back in late March. He had pulled it out of the pot and it sat on the laundry room floor for 2 days before I took her in and saved her. I'm figuring she'll pull between 3-4 pounds.

Here's a pic of the stalk She's buried about 18" deep and the 1st branch is underground. There's also a pic from the top and side.

NCB

P.S. It was pretty cool, as the day after I put the fires out, I had to drive thru the central valley and saw about 50 rice fields being burned and smoke was all over the place

Attached Files:

2. Wow!

Aren't you even the slightest bit worried your neighbor will turn you in?

3. Rumpleforeskin, you're cracking me up. I just read three pages of this thread, and you're quietly pointing out the obvious to deaf ears.

Here, I have a fire-safe one to add:

Sit in your grow room all the time with your plants! YOU produce CO2! Breathe on 'em!

4. hey there!
    just reading this one , very inforemative thanks!
    heres the thing , i've got access to some dry ice. got a friend with an ice cream factory.( HUGE help with manchis...;))

can anyone explain what is the proper way to generate some CO2 from dry ice?

thanks all..

5. ive read that candles/lanterns help..

ive kept tealight candles lit in a lantern in between my 2 ladies since flowering juring lights on

i also blow them monster tokes when smoking weed

being my first grow,its hard to notice at all if it makes a difference or not..:confused:

6. for dry ice you can just put some in a bucket w/ some warm water to release it quickly or you can put it in a cooler w/ the lid cracked open to release it more slowly over time. So I would either turn off ventilation for 15 or 30 mins & throw it in water or if you don't wanna turn ventilation off then just throw it in a cooler & leave it dry w/ the lid cracked so it will give CO2 to the plants over a longer period of time & less will be blown away. But if you can get free dry ice then i would take advantage of that as much as possible. dry ice is nothing but solid CO2. it will skip the liquid stage & go straight to gas, so 1 pound of dry ice = 1 pound of CO2 gas which is quite alot of gas.

7. I have a friend that told me for a small grow room that making a simple alcohol burning lamp would make CO2. I'm no chemist & maybe one of you that didn't sleep thru chemistry class could check this out but he said burning alcohol will create water & CO2 i think. Anyway you just make a lamp, or even buy one from the candle shop. like one of the lamps that burns parafin oil, just use alcohol instead of parafin. Or to make one you could just use a ball mason jar, some tin foil, & a few inches of rope to use as a wick. just fill the jar up w/ some alchohol, double up the foil once or twice & stretch it over the jar, put a hole in center & poke the rope thru so it's held tightly & the bottom is down near bottom of jar. give it a minute for the rope to wick up the alchohol to the top & light it. Note that the more rope you have extending above the foil the larger the flame will be & the faster it will burn.

Anyhow I have no idea how much CO2 this will produce (if any, but I suspect it does). Yes it's a fire hazard & you wanna be very careful if you try this. But it shouldn't burn any hotter than a candle, thus rising temps shouldn't be a problem. I doubt i'll try this. I think i'll just wait until i can afford a proper CO2 set up w/ tanks. But does anyone have any idea how effective this method could be?

8. #48 coralreefer, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
    Why not just use Carbonated Water? Just get a spray bottle and mist the plants with the CO2 water in it. Make sure you keep the bottle of Carbonated Water tightly secured though so the CO2 will not escape. The brand of CO2 Water should be sodium free too, but the other marconutrients are good for the plant and will speed up the growing process. While you are doing it you can also tell the plants how much you love them to get a little extra CO2 from your breathe. Carbonated Water is cheap as fuck compared to all of these systems and probably works just as good. Just a thought from a poor man.

9. You put out more CO2 saying the words "carbonated water" then you would get from spraying a whole can of club soda all over your grow room. Save it for mixed drinks.

10. No man seen studies that prove it helps, but if you're not in to it that's cool. Look it up on google.

11. if its a small grow couldnt you just put some other kinda plants in there? they give out co2 dont they its what thay naturaly do..

12. is that your final answer?

13. [​IMG]

plants give off oxygen. animals give off co2.

14. CO2 is heavier than air...
    So i suppose we could kinda make it "flow" down a gutter, right?
    I was thinking of setting up one of these outside-pattio gas-heaters, catching the heavier gasses that fall to the ground using a system i have yet to develop, and then using 4" pvc-pipes to let these gasses "flow" into my grow-room, keeping the heat outside.

Does anybody see anything wrong about that concept?
    Because if this concept is actually working, i start thinking about building such a system.

Also, Wall-Mart sell these Mosquito-Traps that use big CO2 tanks and burn Octanol... Ever thought of these things?

15. Oh, don't forget, too much CO2 can kill your plants...

16. That is funny stuff and total BS. One can of coke has the equivalent to three exhales.

Here is a real study: http://www.science-house.org/CO2/activities/co2/soda.html "If you could get ALL of the CO2 out of the cola it would fill a volume about four times the volume of the cola can itself."

Now for CO2 to have a positive effect on growing weed, you have to enrich and maintain the local atmosphere to around 1600PPM. Misting your plants for a few minutes a day will not enrich your grow space anymore then saying "Hello Ladies You Look Beautiful Today".

I have two digital CO2 meters in my grow room. I tested all the home brew CO2 techniques I could find on Google. Most did very little to enrich the grow room more then a 100PPM over normal, with the exception of dry-ice. Dry-ice did boost the amount of CO2 well above 1600PPM but only lasted a short amount of time. The cost to maintain dry-ice would be 200X the cost of compressed CO2.

By far the lamest technique was spraying carbonated water. It did nothing but get everything wet and boost the humidity way out of the range you would want to grow good weed. Not to mention the hot lights and water on the leaves. My meters registered very little to no change. My lungs put out more CO2 pumping the the spray bottle then the spray did.

I saw the green faced tard in "I Grow Cronic" telling new growers to spray with carbonated water. Nice production but some real dumb stuff mixed in as well.

I stand by real logic and hold to my first statement "Save the club-soda for mixed drinks".

17. No. All plants put out oxygen and 'breathe' Co2. There is no plant that produces Co2.

I just brew my beer near the inlet to my flowering chambers ;) Works for me.

18. ah right i wasnt telling anybody this its just what i thought thats all i wasnt bein cocky or awt lads..

19. I took Rumples advice on the matter about 2 months ago and bought the right equipment, a CO2 controller(used cost about 200 clams) and a tank(new cost 170 clams). I cycle out the air in the closet about 5 times during the light cycle. In a perfect world my CO2 regulator would stop enrichment when the exhaust kicks on, but mine isn't a perfect world. I simply waste a little CO2 with each exhaust cycle. Even with all that waste it only took about half the tank to flower my latest crop, cost about 8 bucks!

If you can't afford the right equipment for CO2 you can still grow a great crop without enrichment. The tradeoff means you will have perfect temp and humidity with a system that uses fresh air constantly. Co2 systems will force you to go above your opitmal envirmental conditions from time to time unless you are a growing god like Rumple and have all the really expensive gear regulating temp, humidity, and CO2 perfectly. My advice is: 1.listen to Rumple, 2.use a tank system or nothing, 3.dont use anything in a small closed system that produces heat, 4.read #1 again.