Opinions On Associated Marijuana Use To Iq Drop On Teens

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by SkateAndBake420, Aug 10, 2014.

1. #1 SkateAndBake420, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    Ok, I've been reading lately a lot of articles that refer to studies done that "prove" to have associated a decrease in IQ points with marijuana use during teen years. I personally do not know what to think. I started using cannabis at the age of 15 and do not think it has affected my IQ or my learning very dramatically. There is also another article pointing out the flaws of the first study which I found to be very interesting and also relevant. I'll post both link below and I would love to hear some of your opinions on the matter. 

EDIT: I just noticed I goofed up the title. Oh well, you get the idea.

First article
    http://today.duke.edu/2012/08/potiq

Second article (flaws)
    http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/actually_pot_may_not_lower_iq_after_all/

2. I blame the teachers, only thing I learned was that people are assholes and lie to your face.  Marijuana helps get through the day-to-day grind.

3. bump? come on guys, 1 reply?

4. #4 Galaxy420, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
    cannabis( thc)  is a neuroprotectant. that means it protects the brain from oxidative stress which is what makes people dumber because of low firing capacity in the main frame. cannabis keeps the neurons firing at optimal capacity while protecting them from oxidation. add this info to the info you have and compute

edit... cannabis will slow people down some to absorb more of the moment, what they are absorbing is probably not what grown ups want them to be absorbing so they get labeled as dumb to some.

5. <sup>1. There is more than one type of IQ test, what was the one they took at age 13 and 38.</sup>
    <sup>2. Education level, job, and economic factors will come into play.  You spend 20 years flipping burgers, and your home life is you watching huny bobo will drop your IQ. Your brain is a like a muscle you don't use it you lose it. Knowing these helps you select the right test and score it correctly.</sup>
    <sup>3. The only thing your brain is developing from around 14 to 21 is your risk assessment and dissection making process.</sup>
    <sup>4. Where other drugs under regulars use, such as alcohol known to kill brain cells.</sup>

6. So many studies contradict themselves, many are almost irrelevant compared to personal experience. Do you find that people that use cannabis to be less intelligent? Maybe less intelligent people seek out drugs when they're younger. 

7. You believe the reefer madness? It doesnt do jack shit to IQ in adults or teens. Stupid pot users were stupid beforehand... the whole lower Iq goes back to the loss of brain cells debate

8. 11/4/14

THE MAIN INDICATOR OF CANNABIS DUMB DOWNING IS ITS OVER USE IN LIGHT OF MALNUTRITION AND LACKS IN DAILY STANDARD WATER AND FOOD CHOICES.

ANY SUBSTANCE USES OUTSIDE ESTABLISHED DIETARY BALANCES WILL GIVE REGRESSED CONSTITUTIONAL EFFECTS!

REMEMBER THAT THE BODY NEEDS 34 ESSENTIAL PROTEINS AND SEVERAL NUTRIENTS FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE.

IT WOULD BEHOOVE ONE TO KNOW THESE FACTS BEFORE CANNABIS CITY CONSUMPTION TO AVOID DISTORTIONS!

SPIRITUAL LEADER DR. SICORY RAHEEM LOCKETT 202-247-0704/@OMENESSAMOMGPEO

9. #9 Galaxy420, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
    cannabis makes people hungry- ever hear of the munchies. people's diets are terrible and if you took someone with a terrible diet and gave them cannabis it would boost their immune and other systems just from the terpenes alone not to mention all the other desirables in the compounds of the plant. cannabis can also be eaten raw as a dietary supplement for positive nutritional effect. Oh! the seeds of cannabis have massive health benefit as well

where are you getting your info??

10. I don't know about affecting IQ, but it definitely affects memory and learning ability for adolescents because their brains haven't fully developed.

Anyway, the effect is not of any real significance. It's a lot less worse than teens who binge drink or pop pills.

Weed and intelligence are not that closely related. Most of the time, it is purely dependent on an individual's personality which is why generalisations cannot be easily made.

11. I am sure it is a relatively accurate study. You are not going to stop a teen from doing adult things if they are determined. So many other factors also lead to low IQ. We can not save the world and someone has to work at those burger joints.

12. I actually think this guy may hold some grounds. in my high school, there was quite a bit of stoners. around like 20% of the school. In my last years I started noticing through my peer groups that, it you were skinny when you started smoking, you were damn near skin and bone after doing it for a couple years. It didn't have an affect on the larger sized guys, but the boys I started smoking with in sixth grade just look ridiculously under weight.

13. more like buying weed instead of lunch for long periods. as a teen my lunch money went to cigarettes and I stayed skinny all the time with bountiful energy. even now after having grown I still skip meals in lieu of cannabis sometimes and get so much more  from the experience than just stuffing my face. personally my weight was regulated once using cannabis regularly, I was overweight for my size and got down to the correct weight for my size and have stayed that way for years with cannabis use. before cannabis my weight would wildly fluctuate as per dietary decisions but now dietary fluctuations do not affect me as much.

regardless of all this someone with a really healthy diet will gain benefit from cannabis use and someone with a shitty diet will also gain benefit from it. cannabis will work with your body to regulate certain aspects and then back off once regulated- your bod uses the compounds for its needs and regulates from the available compounds within itself. if you do not have the compounds to regulate within then no regulating is being done with those compounds- simple as that. of course we produce our own endocannabinoids but not everyone has any or many left to regulate body parts with hence cannabis and the regulatory response in our bodies.

14. #15 invinciblejets, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
    I think I depends on the person all people are different.
    I know I suffered some from starting smoking around 12.
    While some show no signs.
    Any chemical you put into your body regularly before your brain is fully developed is bound to have some effects.
    And thc having the effects it does, it's not surprising at all especially in kids that have some sort of personality disorder of any kind.
    I don't need tests to tell us this it's common sense when you connect the dots...

My INTJ personality coming out lol.^

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

15. kids that smoke all the time don't give a fuck about their grades. If they did, they wouldn't smoke all the time.

16. #17 Mid man, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
    Most people who start smoking at young ages end up with the wrong crowd and end up that way.. not from a direct result of the substance 

17. exactly- it is the stigma placed on the experimental types. Personally I wanted to hang with the creative folks in school because they were not to stuck in any one way and willing to explore alternate realities aided by alternative substances.

18. #19 IDTENT, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
    There has been very little research done on the effects that cannabis has on the developing brain. I have wondered what possible negative effects may exist, and this might be one of them. I haven't come across any conclusive evidence of this particular effect though.

I'd like to see better research; research that controls for socioeconomic differences in participants especially. Researchers also need to know what other drugs their participants are using. Otherwise, how are they to know which drug is causing the problem? When researchers fail to take into account confounding factors like these, we end up with research findings with little use other than to fuel the medias pot hating agenda.

19. I think this is only true if u didn't do any thing productive all day but since I do a crossword every morning I write poetry and music my friends that don't smoke tell me my memory is sharp so I don't know if zsmoking long term drops your iq I've been smoking since I was 14 I'm 36

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum