Repotting In Coco And Perlite

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Eager2Grow, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Hey guys, currently I have 7 unsexed plants in coco and perlite under a 400w MH, they are in 425ml (just over 14oz) cups right now. They are all between 3 and 5 weeks old from regular seed. I have them in a 4x4 tent.

I intend to upgrade the light to 600w once it is time to flip to 12/12, depending on finances they may be under a 400w HPS for a couple weeks before this is possible.

4 of my plants are needing to be transplanted pretty badly, I am wondering if I should re pot them several times in gradually increasing containers, the way I am used to doing in soil, or if it would be easier to just put them in the final container?

Reccomendations on final container size would be appreciated too! I was thinking that 5 gallons/20 litres should really be plenty. With 7 regular seeds I am expecting to get between 3 and 5 females. I would ideally be looking to yield about 2 or 3 ounces minimum per plant, although I know I can't really plan for yield on my first run, but I am planning on a pretty decent veg.

If anyone is interested I have 4 'The Flav' by TGA Subcool, one 'Dynamite' by Next Generation Seed Company, one 'Northern Flame' by Secret Valley seeds and one bag seed plant from a batch of seeds I have ran outdoors and know is a good smoke that is not prone to herm like bag seed can. 

I was planning on getting a grow log up and running in the next fortnight! :D

Tl;dr - I have some plants in coco and perlite in 14oz cups, I need to re pot them, I am wondering if it would be better to gradually re pot them in increasing pot sizes like half gallon, 2 gallon then 5 gallon or if it would work just as well to transplant them in to their final container. Thanks in advance!

2. I was interested in that question for a while. I've seen people preach both sides of that argument. And to be honest I can't really tell the difference between the people that take it slow and the people that just drop it in the final container. I believe that it is good to start in as small of a container as you can find, but after that I don't think it matters all that much. But that is just the opinion of this novice gardener. 

3. I have used coir in the past my mix was 1/3 coir 1/3perlite and 1/3 mushy mix. Used it just like any soil grow only I had it set up through a drip system. And it worked great for me. I flowered in 5 gal pots. I did drain to waste with low ppm nutes.

4. Rull of thumb 1gal per month of growth