Soft Glass Vs Hard Glass Hit Quality

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by Difalcon, Aug 10, 2014.

1. What is the difference in hit quality between an $8 glass pipe and a $50+ glass pipe? Other than durability

2. seriously? Then why are hard glass pipes so common?

3. No idea what soft glass is. all glass seems hard to me, but my brain is leading towards it has something to do with the properties of glass, pyrex is the way to go.  $8 spoon is likely made in china with cheap ingredients, $50 pipe will likely be fully worked made out of quality glass such as a pyrex composite.

I stick to my bongs, :bongin:

4. #5 invinciblejets, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    Depends on the pipe you are giving us no info at all to go of other than price?
    How can we tell which is better??come on think...

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

5. Like a cheap china glass pipe vs a pyrex pipe is the actual hit better or is it just durability?

6. Are you asking if the pipe will make the high any different?

7. I think the difference starts to shine through the first time your accidentally drop it. A nice glass piece will likely bounce on a tile or concrete floor. A cheap one......well we all know what happens to the cheap one.

8. All depends on the design of the piece and the way you smoke.
    Every piece is different

9. Pipes that are the same shape will hit the same, now a heavier piece(thicker) will feel different and give you a different experience.  Its all about your 'ritual' and what you do, that will enhance or deplete your high. 

10. im asking if the hit will be any smoother or tastier

11. Once again....
    It's all about the design of the piece.
    A quality Bong generally tastes better than say a glass spoon IMO.
    The kind of glass it's self is not really going to effect taste....

12. I have shattered thick pyrex glass from a 2 foot drop onto concrete. The last pipe i bought cost $6.00. If that thing breaks, tears will not fall like rain. But a $50 pipe? Oh i will cry like a redheaded step child for days!!

13. Exactly. Fuck thin glass.

14. Soft glass is like soda-lime glass typically what beer bottles and other glass disposables are made of.
    Boro is a harder glass typically found in old cookware and pipes
    Alot of people on the forum seem to think "China" glass is bad glass...But most of those same people are buying pipes made from chinese tubing. There's nothing wrong with Chinese made glass in fact MANY glass blowers use chinese colored tubes. Hand pulled American tubes are incredibly expensive and not readily available in multiple colors in a retail setting. I also noticed alot of people keep saying "pyrex glass". Pyrex is a company not a type of glass. Basically no the type of glass wont change hit or taste. Boro pipes are better however because it is a more durable glass. Go on etsy and find a good artist and he will crank out a solid piece for you.

15. I found a nice "soft glass" water pipe at my lhs today and it was no more than a foot tall but VERY THICK AND HEAVY. It was only $25. I'm probably gonna get it next couple of weeks. It wasn't glass on glass but they had downstems for $5 that I can upgrade to if I want to later on.

16. #17 TheDudeist, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    At my lhs they do glass work on site. One of the guys told me it's just how the piece is made and what's in it. I'm no glass blower, so I'll have to take his word for it.

To answer your question, my bong is soft glass and it hits wonderfully.