The Milkmans Coco Closet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tallglassesofmilk, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Oh yeah? It'll be cool to compare in the end.. Sounds like a yield monster.

2. IMG_20140901_131207.jpg
    Pretty much everything looks like this now.. No deficiencies that you can see I hope? Lil

Day #27!

IMG_20140901_131146.jpg
    I bent some stuff over up top and will probably need to do it again while they stretch

IMG_20140901_131155.jpg
    IMG_20140901_131159.jpg

3. Oh yeah most importantly I plan on switching to 12/12 tonight. I wish these were seeds with an expected date so I could say how long til flower.. We will see. Bag seed for the win!

4. Lookin good dude!

You got your drops too right? I would suggest taking a gallon of nutrients and doing some ph testing.

Take a ph reading of the tap water that you use.

Another after the 6/9 nutrients are added

Another after 1ml of Cal/mag per gallon

Another after 2ml of Cal/mag per galllon.

Keep all those readings in your head.. you should be able to control the ph of the nutrient solution DOWN by adding more Cal/mag. So lets say your tap water is at a 7, then your nutrients bring it to about 6.5.. when you add the cal/mag @ 1 ml per gal, it will drop to about 6.2.. one more drop, it should drop to about 5.8-6.0, which is perfect.

Thats pretty much how mine goes.. yours could be a lil different depending on the ph of your tap water.

Oh.. and the 6/9 can be given straight to seedlings and clones.. they love it! :D

5. Thanks yo!

6. Thanks!

Okay, water starts at 6.8-6.9 then with 6/9 added it goes to 6.5
    Add 1ml it goes to 6.2-6.1
    Up to 2ml and it gets to 5.7-5.8.

Almost exactly what you said lol. You are too dialed in. :metal:

I tested some of the runoff yesterday too. Was 6.1 pH.

7. No need to test the runoff in coco. It will affect the numbers slightly and throw ya off.

Now check out this nutrient ph uptake chart here. :

[​IMG]

See how the Calcium is available at 5.8 and lower and Magnesium is available at 5.8 and higher? This is where the ph drift comes into play.

You will learn to read the plants for only 2 deficiencies.. Calcium and Magnesium. You already know that Calcium def will cause rust colored spotting.. And Magnesium def will cause the main stems to streak purple.

So if you see spotting that makes you believe it's a calcium def, drop an extra ml of cal/mag into a gallon of nutrients, which will effectively lower the ph and allow Calcium to the plant.

And if you see mad purple streaking on the main stem, add 1ml less of cal/mag per gallon, effectively raising the ph and allowing Magnesium to the plant.

That's really all you gotta look out for.. The formula makes it very very simple.

8. Watering technique plays a huge role in this formula and with coco. I try to water the veggers every other day and the flower girls get watered just about every day.

It's a lot harder to over water in coco than in soil.. But it can happen! I like to pick the pot up to see how much to water.. If it's heavy, I'll just give it a splash to keep the ph correct in the medium.

See as the container dries out, the ph will rise making you think you are locking stuff out... Making you flush like mad and try different styles.. Haha

Just keep the pots damp, but not totally waterlogged ya know? You gotta learn to adjust the amount of water you are giving them on the fly.. But it's simple.

Try to shoot for the water every day thing.. Which means watering less at once. 2 gallons at a time in these small containers is about 1.75 gallons too much. Haha

Just start with a 1/4-1/2 gallon every other day of nutrient solution.. Nothing else, nutrients every feeding, no plain water... Ever! If anything else, I'll do blackstrap molasses at 1 tablespoon per gallon of tap water, but that's super ultra rare that I do that in veg. In flower I do the 1 tablespoon of molasses once a week.

You already have the flushing agent right? I think you said you did.. You can use that as you start the flush at the end, but that's it!

9. Lol I've been over water in them again??

Okay so I'll go with a half gallon for each everyday, that makes it easy. I don't think theyve hated the extra water too much though, they are praying to the light this morning... Could also just be from no light all night long.

No flushing agent here.. I just ran clean water through to get some of that leftover fox farm out before adding the 6/9. Not a real "flush" tho.. That 'run 3x the size of the pot through the medium' method sounds nuts to me. I probably used 3 gallons each pot at the most.

10. Na they won't hate the extra warter, but its a lot better for them to be given good fresh nutes as often as possible ya dig? :D

Next order you make or whenever you try out that new hydro shop, pick up a bottle of FloraKleen. Its just a flushing agent thats added to your tap water at 5ml per gallon, then watered to 10% runoff. That stuff is fantastic.. it gets all the salt buildup outta the medium and really lets the smoke be nice and smooth real quick after its dried. I really like this stuff and its cheap and easy.

Flushing is just the act of not giving the plants nutrients.. 3x the container size is ridiculous.. I have 20 gallon pots, can you imagine me flushing 60 gallons of water through each one.. haha what a waste! Stick to that 10% runoff with just straight tap and the flush will happen brotha.

11. Haha yeah I was thinking "how am I going to flush this with 21 gallons?!"

OK I'll grab some florakleen.. Don't want nasty tasting plants.. Or harsh plants.

12. Its a solid idea. :metal:

13. Yeah I told the guy about the vam from bioag too.. They already carry humix. He hadn't heard of VAM yet but I'll bet he orders some.

I'll be using it on the critical mass x northern lights when I transplant from red cups to 3 gallons.

14. Get the humix! Thats the other piece of the puzzle. I add a teaspoon into every 4 gallons of nutrients. :D

15. When I get the VAM I'll for sure add humix to the order. :)

Trying to stay on a budget but its not easy.. It gets addicting fast. Good thing it pays for itself

16. Ya thats it though besides molasses and that stuff is cheap. I would suggest finding a plant nursery around you that carries the molasses in 1 gallon containers for like 8 bucks. I'm still on my first container from over 2 years ago! :D

Don't get the stuff from the grocery store.. there is more of the good stuff in agricultural molasses than food grade.

17. Hmm interesting about the agricultural molasses..

What is the benefit of using molasses in coco? Feed the beneficial microbial that are in the 'micro'? Or the b vitamin?

18. Lil a both! Plus amino acids and all the nutritional benefits that molasses has makes it a great addition tot the formula and growing style that we use. :smoke:

19. #420 tallglassesofmilk, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Day #28 - Flower day #1

IMG_20140902_131642.jpg
    IMG_20140902_131613.jpg
    IMG_20140902_131623.jpg
    IMG_20140902_131632.jpg