150 Watt Hps Dresser Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by integrajosh, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, I'm new to posting on grasscity but I've done a lot of research on this site and its helped alot. This is my first attempt at growing so any advice is appreciated too. I built my grow box by gutting out an old dresser, glueing the drawer faces to the front, putting hinges and magnets on back door, and i also cut a 4" hole for exhaust and four 4" holes for passive intake. I used white caulking to seal up cracks on the inside and lined the walls with mylar. Used some hooks and small chains to hang the light. Running 4" 175cfm inline fan sitting on big can lite carbon filter. Light is a sun system 150 hps, running 24 hour for now. Using 3 gallon smart pot filled with fox farms ocean forest. I have a small fan inside the box blowing on the plant/light, keeps temps around 80-85, humidity 45-50%. I ordered all my feminised seeds from the single seed centre, they arrived a week after shipped. I germinated the northern lights#5/haze last saturday, so the pic is week 1 of growth. My growing area is only 20"L x 20"w x 16"d, so im prbly going to have to do some serious training as it grows. I'll keep everyone posted with week by week pics.
    Thanks for looking 1407603307734.jpg 1407603579148.jpg 20140712_171456.jpg 20140713_155315.jpg 1407603845066.jpg

2. Might want to use some 6500k cfls before the hps

3. I wonder if its worth it getting a mh conversion bulb?

4. Thanks for stopping in, i'll keep updating as she grows

5. good lookin set up :smoke:

If you decide on a high K lighting for veg...one idea is that you can get a big CFL that fits a mogul socket(like you have) and just get an adapter to bypass the ballast and plug it into the wall, only for running the cfl of course. I hope that made sense...just another option instead of having to get a mh ballast if yours happens to hps only.

good luck on your grow! :hello:

6. Thanks i think im jut gonna stick to hps for veg and flower. Looks good so far, 3rd leaf set just grew in and i started lst today. Too soon? Is that right?

Attached Files:

7. looking really good!!

8. Hey guys, day 12 of the grow thought id post a couple more pics. To the experianced growers out there, does it look like a magnesium deficiency? It's weird because i can only see the yellowing in pics where the flash went off, in person it looks fine though. The very tips of the leaves do curl down slightly, and the leaves feel a little dry but that's all. Any ideas? 20140813_180101.jpg 20140813_180214.jpg

9. I'm buying a 250 watt mh/hps with air cooled hood tonight. Should get way better results with more light and lower temps

10. #11 ProGMO, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Josh check out the "heat reduction and beginner's luck" thread. 150hps in a 2x2x5 tent. he seen his 1st pistil 1 AUG and has a 3 in main cola only after 2 weeks. he did this for shits and giggles and is now addicted to growing. he does not even smoke, LOL! It was a bag weed he found while fishing, it had a couple seeds in it. he treats his plant like a baby. I think he is going to clone just to keep this sturdy plant around.

11. Thanks for the info zulu, i appreciate it. I pulled a rookie move and bought the 250 watt air cooled setup but didnt measure it first. Im gonna need a bigger box before i can use it. Im just gonna finish this grow and make an armoire grow room for next time. I think the plant had nitrogen toxicity, so ive been using plain water for a couple days. I'll post pics tomorrow so you guys can see the progress

12. I decided to top my plant so im going to wait 1 more week to flower. I flushed with ph correct water and im going to add some buddha grow to the next watering

13. sounds good :)

14. Day 16 of veg, switching to 12/12 saturday 20140819_230246.jpg

15. Lol changed my mind again switched to my 250 watt mh for the last week of veg, i'll put in the hps bulb saturday

16. I decided to top one of the side shoots and put in a scrog a couple days ago, got 8 tops now, I'll post pics later today. If i lst during the first few weeks of flower will it continue to grow new shoots?
    Thanks again

17. yeh the plant will continue to veg and stretch for about the first 2-3 weeks of flowering.  :)

18. Cool thanks again bongsauce

19. Week three of veg, starting 12/12 tonight 20140822_181033.jpg