Why Marijuana Should Be Legalized Everywhere

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bongs4days, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Legalizing marijuana would only be beneficial to the country. The tax revenue from pot sales is going towards important things, such as school systems and road repair. If you previously couldn't find a job, there are now plenty of new jobs available; growers, trimmers, "pot shop" owners, etc. Because weed is no longer an asset of the "black market" there will be less violent crime related to the right to sell weed on the streets. The police force will have to start solving actual crimes, instead of picking on stoners to get their monthly quota. Buyers will now be 100% certain that their weed contains no other drugs. Paranoia will no longer have to be a side effect of smoking. Colorado respects that some people have legitimate medical needs for their smoking, so those with a medical marijuana card will be able to buy under 21, and be given a discount on their purchases. Although the government continues to perpetuate the anti-pot propaganda, people are starting to see that marijuana is the safer alternative to alcohol, which is often to blame for domestic violence. (Why hit your wife and kids, when you can hit the bong instead?) :bongin:

Just my thoughts! :smoke:

2. I don't think it would only be beneficial. I just think that the benefits would greatly outweigh any costs associated with legalizing. I think you will see increased usage among certain groups of teens but not more usage across the board. This is because legalizing it on a national will ultimately drive the price down well below the black market. This means that kids will be able to buy more weed with less money. Speaking as someone who has only been out of high school for a couple years, I knew so many kids that didn't smoke everyday or that much because of how expensive it is. That being said I think legalizing and regulating it will make it harder for kids to get, even though it will be cheaper. Although personally I don't think there should be any smoking or legal drinking age, but rather a certain age which qualifies you to buy those things. I think prohibiting kids from drugs only forces them to use it by themselves, ultimately leading to them doing stupid shit like blacking our because they don't know how to drink responsibly. I think that if parents taught their kids how and when to properly drink, and maybe smoke weed, then you would see a lot less drug abuse.i definitely think that by telling teens no you only increase their desire to do it because a lot of them want to rebel.

3. I agree with you on the pounts you make. In many Eyropean countries, where drinking responsibley is started from a young age, there's a lot less "binge drinking" that goes on. And also, by having weed be legalized, there would no longer be any profit by selling to teens (unless teens had the money to give the person buying for them a nice profit) because it would drive weed out of the black market.

4. What ever happened to "I own my body and have the right to put whatever I want inside of it"

i think this concept should be paramount.

5. Puritanical origins of the country happened.

Same reason that nudity is evil while violence is family approved.

Well that and old fogeys that recoil at the site of fun and say "damn long hairs"

6. #6 nativetongues, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    I agree with this to a certain extent but I i think there is a point where we should draw a line. I think all softcore/middle ground drugs that you don't really hear of people being that addicted to should be legalized. Including but not limited to weed, alcohol, tobacco, psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, Molly but not ecstasy, dmt, and a couple others I'm not thinking of. However I believe that hardcore drugs which are often very addictive should be decriminalized but not legalized. The reason I believe this is because by legalizing you give legitamate entities the right to distribute the product. If we legalize drugs like meth, heroine, cocaine, crack, ketamine, OxyContin, and a slew of other more hardcore drugs then it makes it hard for everyday recovering addicts to get over the habit when they have to see it in stores and have easy access to it. All I'm saying is that I don't think people should be punished for using drugs, but I also don't think these drugs should be sold recreationally. I know this leads to a black market, but I think that is worth it. Not to mention the stigma of legalization. I know most people won't probably do meth tomorrow if it's legal. The unfortunate thing is that by legalizing meth you are making it seem more legitamate and I think it definitely sends a message to younger people that meth and alcohol may not be that different. Of course I know this position is a little ridiculous and often not the case but it definitely can lead to that happening. Ultimately I just think that the damages of the softcore/middle ground drugs I listed are very minor and much less likely to be used addictively which is why I have no issues with legalizing them. The hardcore ones have a lot of nasty side effects and lead to addiction more frequently. Life is all about analyzing the pros and cons of every decision and ultimately all decisions will have positives and negatives. At least that's my .02.

7. #7 Lenny., Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

I apply my aforementioned concept to all substances, as individual sovereignty is very integral in human rights. If one took out the word meth in your post and replaced it with marijuana or alcohol, most would see how silly that argument is.

I hate to see people ruin their lives with drugs like heroin and meth, but that is their choice. Criminalizing their state of illness and forcing them into the black market is the opposite of how to solve the problem.

If we're going to criminalize things based on addictiveness, it is going to be a very slippery slope. 

8. #8 Runningw235, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014

I'm in recovery (2.5 years sober) and I have to disagree with your assessment of the drugs. 

I used one of the drugs in the above bold daily for quite a while, yet alcohol was what truly brought me to my knees and dramatically affected my health. In fact, someone withdrawing from alcohol is EXPONENTIALLY more likely to die than someone withdrawing from cocaine, heroin, meth. 

It's always disturbing when someone in recovery who exclusively drank does not think they're as bad as the addicts present. They are just as fucked, to be honest. 

The thing that bothers me about your assessment (as it is a very popular one) is that it is largely based on social and cultural views on different drugs, rather than health and human rights. 

Believe me when I say that the law will NEVER keep me sober, nor should it. Individuals own their bodies and are not in need of paternalism. I certainly don't think other people shouldn't be allowed to drink just because I cannot do so effectively. 

9. I think all drugs should be legal, lets ignore for a minute that schedule 1, the most "dangerous" drugs is primarily comprised of Psychedelics (the absolute least harmful family of drugs, and arguably the most therapeutically useful), because the government fears people with open minds who can think for themselves....

Lets even ignore the human rights issue that you should be free to do as you please if your actions harm no one...

For shits and giggles, lets say theyre right, and drugs are illegal because theyre bad, while alcohol and cancer sticks are just peachy. Its proven the best way to get people to want something, is to tell them they cant have it. So if these drugs are dangerous, telling everyone no, just makes everyone want it more (except those sticks in the mud that are perfectly content not exploring and making their own conclusions). So they are making everyone want these dangerous (remember shits and giggles) drugs.

How do they respond? Lies and propaganda (oh sorry thats the real world) I mean with facts about the dangers of these satanic chemicals that will turn your children into commies dammit! With that a chunk is persuaded its not worth it, but quite a few still want to make their own decision.

So now, these people try these dangerous drugs, and are fucked 6 ways to Sunday without help, so what do we do? What treat them? Get tje fuck out with your logic! No we throw them in a cage because punishing them is easier than caring about their wellbeing. Punishing them for human nature, is easier than treating them.

As you can see, even followimg their twisted (and horribly false) logic, its still not justifiable.

If their own fuckin' logic doesnt stand up in a magical world where their lies are true, how does it fair in the real world?

For that alone, all drugs should be legal.

Back in the real world, we come back to the points I raised earlier, that the vast majority of the most illegal drugs, are so not because of danger, but because of the potential for people to see through the bullshit, and rise up against the opression.

Also, human right to whatever you want that harms no one else.

I agree with your position on legality 100%.

But does anyone actually think people in the government feel threatened by people dropping acid and eating mushrooms?

LOL.... I hear it all the time, but seriously...what do people do when they're tripping? Watch trippy shit on youtube, go for walks in the park, generally just be out of their minds for 8-12 hours. Nothing about that intimidates anyone. 

11. It might be an exagerration, but i mean what other reason is there to blacklist psychedelics? All they do is open your mind to more abstract thinking (I dont buy the teach you secrets of the universe idea though, they can only teach you how to interpret things differently).

Unless its just too much damn fun... or lack of addiction potential

12. Don't legalize so 'we' can 'tax' it (punish people monetarily for making decisions). Legalize it so adults can excersize freedom of choice and self ownership.

13. Yes, I agree. Marijuana should not be legalized for tax revenue. Adults have the right to express freedom of choice and shouldn't have the government telling them what drugs are "bad" or "harmful".

I think it's just not a socially acceptable way of becoming intoxicated, so they make it illegal.

I mean, they certainly aren't good for you, but that's no reason to govern someone's body. So I'm right there with you on 90% of it.

15. Ron Paul at the GOP primary several years ago after being boo'd and chastised for wanting to end the war on drugs:

"Who here would use heroin if it were legal?"

****crickets****

:laughing:  

16. #16 garrison68, Aug 10, 2014
    Unfortunately, the most popular non-grown psychedelic was legal as a Rx, but was made totally illegal because quite a few users were not acting very responsible.  I guess it had to happen, given the time period in the 1960's.     

17. #17 bongs4days, Aug 10, 2014
    I agree with you that individual freedom of choice should be the most inportant issue. However, I don't believe taxation is really a "punishment" but rather an opportunity to improve both the econamy, as well as funding programs to improve everyone's quality of living.

I agree with you 100% on this, and it's a shame that what Ron Paul was proposing didn't go through. Most people know the dangers of heroin's addictive potential, and stay clear of it. But ruining someone's life for being caught with drugs, isn't going to stop drugs from ruining someone's life. It's backwards thinking.

Something unfortunate about the society we live in; is that people fear that legalization of marijuana is going to turn the whole country into a bunch of "stupid stoners" and yet the people on this forum have provided more intelligent input to this discussion, than most people who are against legalization, would have.

18. #18 *ColtClassic*, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014

Taxation is a punishment. This should be simple to understand.

Taxes artificially heighten the cost beyond what would be neccessary in the free market (no state controls).

Say legal bud in a certain county is $30 an eighth at a particular store. Let's say with tax there is an extra $5 added on to the cost of that eighth (being somewhat conservative here at only 6% added tax). That tax does not generate any added income to the store selling it, but does add revenue back into the state (which the store also has to go to for permits/licensing, operational fees, regulations, etc.). This added cost in the form of a tax also affects the consumer. This is an unneccessary cost that raises the price of doing business. This is why it is a burden or punishment for those willing to engage in a voluntary business transaction which would otherwise not require such a fee (as it is only imposed by the state and not the pricing mechanism of supply and demand). The state essentially says that because you wish to purchase such a product, and they know legalization will not alter general usage in the long run (with a short increase in usage immediately after the law comes into effect), that you are subject to certain financial burden for your choice. This is how government still wins the 'hearts and minds' of its citizens/subjects because it can allocate money from successful, profit-based ventures back into which ever programs it has accustomed society to. People make the mistake of thinking money from government programs is essentially free money (which makes sense, as individuals can recieve money/resource from the government disproportionate to their input into the economy) without considering the real financial burden it places upon the productive individuals and entities within the economy. This is how babies being born in the US now have a debt obligation in the tens of thousands per child, with total unfunded liablies in the US estimated at ninety trillion dollars and counting (conservative estimate as well).

It is that simple. The state adds an extra 'cost' of doing business so it can then redistribute money after the fact to leech off of the success of an emerging business (a business which does not require force/coercion to obtain huge profits).

19. Preaching to the coir.

Not trying to hate, just think its funny seeing all these "legalize weed" threads on a weed forum.

Picking the wrong audience.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

It was a "threat" way back when -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTCxINKT7l4