Room Conditions For Drying Harvest

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nugrowr09, Aug 7, 2014.

1. I believe he just opened the lids slightly when necessary.

2. So that means his house stays around 60% humidity? I should shut up and just buy a meter

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

3. My house is normally around 35%, so it's much lower than the bud itself. I assume his is at, or lower than, what the bud needs to be. So when opened the buckets will at least lower from the humidity they are at. They have a temp/humidity combo meter with hi/low readings for $10 in stores or on Amazon.

4. general, they have had a well defined round ball at the end of the trichomes for about 3 weeks now.

Maybe the lighting is making it look a bit more yellow than if illuminated by florescent, but its fair to say they look a lite yellowish green. Most of the fan leaves that truly turned totally yellow and was obviously done, I removed already. Your thought was like mine. from here, no more nutes and I will try to actually get a real flush in if I can see some cloudy and might start harvesting towards end of month (hopefully)

this will actually be the first time I have ever actually had a bud that was fatter than a coke can. I am amazed at how dense they are.

Another shock is the lack of smell.
    either:
    1) my air filters are working well
    or 2) I have just acclimated myself to any smells and am nose blind to it
    or 3) they just don't put out much aroma (just smells like a hint of mint)

5. Yeah I guess I just had no idea what "normal" range is for in a home. Ill pick one up. So if humidity is to low and you need to bring it up that's where the challenge is huh? Or does the moisture inside the bud evaporate raising the humidity until it's to high that you need to open the bucket for a bit and let if fall back down. I think I just answered my own question sorry.

6. #26 nugrowr09, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    on the Linux humidistat for my house, the range of control is from 40 to 60% RH

So for the home (furniture, etc.), I think the typical ideal humidity level would be around 50%

I wish I could see myself :p But I usually think trichomes aren't ready if they are not much wider than the stalk they sit on. If they look like they're too heavy for the stalk and are 2-4 times the thickness I am content. Of course factor in everything else you want for harvest.

Yeah lighting does change the look of a plant a ton. So the yellowing is good.

Love coke can thick buds, I don't like to watch them shrink after harvest :(

1) Let's hope!
    2) Not too sure what to say there  :smoking:
    3) It's possible. During the dry and cure it'll bring out more. Could also be that the next week or two puts it over the top.

I don't think there is a normal range. Weather will be a factor, as well as A/C. I run that so much my humidity usually stays low year round. Winter is terrible, it's down to like 5-15% lol.

When harvesting your bud is going to have way too much water in it. You'll need a lower humidity to dry it in, but not too low or it could dry too fast and uneven. So yes you are right, they evaporate the moisture into the bucket which then needs to be vented. Just like burping a mason jar during a cure :)

8. ha ha general... he needs to lower his humidity or bring them over to your place 5 - 15% ??? how dry you are!

9. Soooooo drryyyyyy. Talk about never having a very clear nose.

10. Hmm alright I ordered a meter so lets see what it says. Where I am it stays around 60-80% humidity outside most days in the upper 70%. I run Ac quite often to keep it cool cuz outside it over 100 with hear index every single day. I would guess my house stays around 50-60%.

11. you might have to invest in a dehumidifier when you get close to harvest

12. Yeah I am worried about that. I sure hope I don't. My Ac unit is brand new and rated for a home about 800sqaure feet larger than mine. I am hoping it does a good enough job of keeping humidity low but I will have to wait for my meter to get here to tell.

13. where I am the humidity can be 80% on some days, on colder days I have to use a de humidifier on hotter days the portable ac drops it nicely (the ac unit removes more water than the de humidifier) just remember to empty there water buckets daily if they not self evaporative :)

and whats them bucket things called, where can I buy some. will sure beat dozens of stacked up jars :p

14. Lol right? He has a thread I think that includes how he built them. Pretty sure any bucket would work, black probably best. Then he bought some meters, drilled into the lids, glued em in somehow...

This next time I am trying Boveda 62 hunidity packs in each of my mason jars, going to see how well that works. Supposedly very helpful.

15. oh didn't realise he had a thread for it, awesome idea though :)
    my skunk getting chopped Thursday and it not going to fit in my left over jars when dried abit :p
    guess I order some more jars and them boveda things, keep hearing about those lately :)

16. Well it was in a thread he posted in or made haha, I think it was for a grow?

Yum I haven't had skunk since I grew autos a while back. Time for more jars, yes! And yep they don't seem to expensive for what they do.

17. #37 GoldGrower, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014

The humidity can't go any lower because they are sealed, they are air tight. My humidity is usually around 50% so I'm pretty lucky. But as long as your humidity is below 62% you can just let them dry until 62% and seal them up.

They are just regular buckets with lids. They are designed to ship food, they are about £2 off eBay.

The hygrometers were about £3 each, again off eBay, and I hot glued them in to the lids

18. Yeah I understand how they work now. My only question is about the meters. Are they special meters with the sensor on the back? Or are they the same as all the ones online that are meant to be inside of the cigar humidifier.

19. Man for some reason all of those links just took me to the main eBay home page. Can you just put a pic of the ad? Sorry for the hassle.