The Ocean Has Become So Acidic Its Dissolving Baby Oyster Shells

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Earth Ling, Aug 6, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    When we talk about the acidification of the oceans, we sometimes focus on the impact that it will have in the future. But for Taylor Shellfish Farms, a fifth-generation farm in Oregon that harvests oysters, the impact is already here. The ocean has become so acidic that baby oysters are actually dissolving in the water before they even have a chance to grow.
    \t\t \t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t \t\t\t[​IMG]
    Read more: The Ocean Has Become So Acidic it's Dissolving Baby Oyster Shells | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

[​IMG]
    According to the latest National Climate Change Assessment, the ocean has become 30 percent more acidic than it was in pre-industrial times because the ocean absorbs about one-fourth of all carbon emissions. Much of the sea life in the ocean is struggling to adapt and clams and oysters are particularly having a difficult time. “Shellfish is very vulnerable when it's first being created,” says Brittany Taylor, “and it's the acidity in the water that makes it hard for them to form their shells.”
    Related: 10 Million Scallops Killed by Rising Carbon Dioxide Levels in the Ocean
    The Taylor family started farming oysters 100 years ago and the tradition has carried on generation after generation. But today their business has been threatened by the changing ocean. “The ocean is so acidic that it is dissolving the shells of our baby oysters,” says Diani Taylor, “it would be devastating to lose such a big part of our history.” Because acidification shows no signs of slowing, there is no telling how much worse the damage could become and what other impacts we could see in the future, but for Taylor Shellfish, the consequences are already here.

Read more: The Ocean Has Become So Acidic it's Dissolving Baby Oyster Shells | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

2. Idk when people are going to realize how much damage humans can cause. But they still say things like "the earths to big for humans to make any impact".

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

3. While it's true that oceans are acidifying, there's no real evidence that we're the direct cause.

Of course alarmists would LOVE it if we were. :laughing:

Deep within the earth, a myriad gallery of caustic compounds are locked away.

Id say there's probably a large deposit of acids that finally began to escape into the ocean.

Very true, for example "sulfur vents", volcanic activity & tectonic activity.

whats more the "ebb 'n flow" of c02 from atmosphere & water is on a scale measured in millennia.

\t 

5. #5 chiefton8, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014

What happens to the pH of water upon dissolution of CO2? And what is the biggest source of CO2 production in the world right now?

Aside from that, I'm curious to know specifically what the "myriad gallery of caustic compounds" are to which you refer having been shown to globally lower the pH of the ocean more than CO2. I'd be interested to read those peer-reviewed papers.

6. thats just how baby oyster shells look

-long john the oysterman

7. The largest source of c02 production in the world is the ocean.  Always is, always has been.   To say man is the leading cause of c02 emissions is just plain ignorant and naive.  All living animals release c02 in some way or another.  Sure, we do contribute a lengthy amount, but there are many other things that will always dwarf our emissions.  Like every animal on earth exhaling c02, decomposing plant matter releasing stored carbon back into the atmosphere, and lets not forget nearly every plant on earth releases c02 at night, when they switch from transpiration to respiration.   

The earth's mantle and core, which enter the ocean, spewing massive amounts of CAUSTIC chemicals, one of which being hydroflouric acid.  Is that caustic enough for ya?   I can name more?  Would you like more?  

8. What I would like to see is numbers from both sides and how they got those numbers.

I remember seeing on a documentary that ocean biomass waaaaaay surpasses land biomass in total weight. I think you are probly right when you say carbon is coming from the ocean

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I don't think it's inaccurate to assume that humans might be having a huge effect. I would like to see some good research and statistics on it all though.

10. #10 chiefton8, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014

I agree the ocean is the largest producer of CO2, but it also the largest CO2 sink. In fact, it is a net sink of and not a net producer of atmospheric CO2 (by about 1.6 Pg of C per year [source: 2013 IPCC report, chapter 6, Fig 1]). So I agree, in principle, that it is "naive and ignorant" to say man is the leading cause of CO2 production, but the fact that the ocean absorbs more than it emits (i.e. it is a net CO2 sink) means that it does not contribute to the well-documented net increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration. 

Also, while trees do give off CO2, they are also a well-documented net sink of carbon (otherwise they wouldn't grow right?) so to even mention them as a source of atmospheric CO2 is very odd to say the least. In fact, it is estimated that all land activity (combining uptake due to photosynthesis, emissions due to respiration, volcanic activity, fires, etc) has a net 4.3 Pg C/yr sink (same source as above). So it makes zero sense to be comparing relative contributions of anthroprogenic CO2 emissions to the sinks (not emissions) of the ocean and plants.

It makes even less sense to compare anthroprogenic emissions of CO2 to all other sources of emissions and say human contributions are too tiny to have any affect. The most important numbers you should be comparing is the net gain or loss of CO2 pre-industrial era to the net gain or loss of CO2 now. On average, there is a 4 Pg C per year increase in CO2 compared to then and we emit ~8 Pg C per year through fossil fuels (only 50% of fossil fuel emissions are reabsorbed into various carbon sinks). The positive feedback mechanisms of climate change are well known, so it doesn't take a large leap of faith to assume we are having an impact.

I find it strange too that you adamantly defend the ocean as the biggest producer of CO2 (it would be naive and ignorant to think otherwise right?), which when dissolved in the ocean creates acid...yet at the same time you assert that some random deposits of acids escaping into the ocean are actually the biggest source of current acidification. This again makes no sense.

HF is a caustic acid indeed, but I couldn't find a single piece of literature (through pubmed, google scholar or web of science) that even mentions HF as something released from ocean seeps, let alone estimates the amount of HF released into the oceans and its impact on acidification relative to CO2's impact on acidification, which is what I asked you for in the previous post (and which you failed to deliver in your response...since the burden of proof is on you). If I were a bettin' man, I suspect you just made that up because you thought I wouldn't know better. You can name more random/arbitrary chemicals if it pleases you though, but it doesn't mean much without the appropriate evidence to support it right?

11. Great post

Any response to my post above?  :confused_2:

13. Lmao."im too drunk to taste this chicken."nuff said

14. lmfao same thoughts

15. What we are looking at is the result of acid rain and sewer outfalls in a current that travels northwards along the west coast. Mariculture works only in coastal waters so is very susceptible to that current.

When that current reaches Alaska and the Aleutian Islands it is seriously toxic. All large sea mammals are having serious problems. Sea lions and walrus have bare patches with open sores and polar bears are losing fur in spots.

Environmental non profits like greenpeace are not short of fraud by failing to focus on this. Their pres actually got up in front of the UN and said "there is no proof global warming is man made"

Global warming is an NWO straw man. Toxicity is going to destroy nature long before warming. When the greenpeace pres plays into the straw man, you know it's a captive org.

See my threads in politics about "our first right" and "the purpose of free speech", and check the strategy there. I also have 2 videos in the "artists corner" forum that touch on some important aspects.

We need unity amongst people that are aware, care and can understand this. We must take action within a lawful and peaceful revolution NOW! The strategy in those threads can do it but we need unity and action.

16. ^ Everybody needs to stop saying global warming.  It is not global warming, and saying that only gives fuel to the idiots who want to say something like "hey it was so cold this winter!".  It is climate change.  Not global warming.

17. It's sad we have to witness so many species suffer, but it is nature. The earth has seen more damage and more die offs before, it'll return, we probably won't be here to see it.

If the ocean becomes highly acidic, acidic lifeforms will dominate in a few hundred million years.

18. ExCtly. And the reason they call it.climate change now is so they can still make it a big deal and blame.humans even though they were proven wrong

19. Exactly

In a single.instant an asteroid hit the earth and.did a billion fold times as.much damage as humans.ever will

and that was but one of several mass extjnctions caused by nature

Climate change/ global warming is delusions of grandeur spread to exert political control

20. George carlin said it pretty well.

Ask the guys frozen into ash sculptures if they feel like a threat to earth this week.