Waves And Particles

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by pickledpie, Aug 6, 2014.

1. What else exists?

2. Anything else you want to define

3. Exactly! 

I was sure my fist existed until I opened my fingers. :eek:  Mental representations have such ghostly existences.   :laughing:

4. #4 nativetongues, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
    Space, maybe time. That's all I got.

5. I mean. Really? If you're going on a trippy train of thought with this share because otherwise put down the goodness and stop posting lol.

6. We can perceive reality in so many ways. Even to see waves and particles is relative and is entirely based on the subjective experience. Yet it is such an essential means of understanding the world! The nature of the wave shows us the nature of duality. The pendulum that swings from one side to another, rippling outwards infinitely taking different forms in different mediums. The particles represent our experience of the individual, the separated and individual aspect of the reality we perceive. Yet still so completely in tune with the laws of causation. If there is a 2d layer of a hundred thousand particles with a specific force of both attraction and repulsion, moving even one will cause an incredible reaction! From one side to another, they shall all vibrate in a specific way until it stops...

Or does it stop? One can assume that it must stop if there is no force initiating any movement, but if there is no movement, then there can be no particles! They must be homogeneous, with no forces pushing or pulling. No comprehension can exist of one state or another state. There can be no waves in what does not move. There can be no differences in what does not move.

Just something to think about.

7. energy? or is that redundant?

8. I say nothing

All things are made of particales (which by definition is the smallest unit, we simply discover new particles of particles).

And all particles move in waves.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I do not see space and time as "things"

Space is an abstract concept. It is simply a measurement of the relative "distance" between particles. Where as time is a function of space and energy. More energy (higher speed) means shorter distance, or shorter "time".

Both time and space exist only to measure the differences in particle/wave states relative toto eachother

but wouldnt you say energy is a part of, but different from those things? i would i guess

11. No. Energy is the fundamental unit

All things are made of particles of energy

12. Well I see what you are saying. My question is if time and space only existed to measure difference in particles is it something that we perceive but is not real? I just don't understand the argument that time is not something fundamental in our universe. The only thing we know for certain in this life is change. Everything around is constantly changing, reacting, causing, and being caused. This change is from the result of this idea we have of time. I don't think that time is just something that is created by humans and is only relative although I'm not sure if that's how you feel. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that time is a fundamental part of the nature of our universe. Without time and the progression or unfolding of events there would be no us or this. I agree that how we perceive time is all relative and man made, but I strongly believe that there is something fundamental about our universe which is physically connected to time. Without time there is no physical interaction, so it's hard to believe that time is all just relative and man made although it's very possible I'm misunderstanding you. Overall I would say that time occurs regardless of the existence of organisms, but that how we perceive time is relative. Ultimately, I think time is sometjing which is self evident, and I don't like to use that word a lot in philosophical arguments but I think it's appropriate in this case. Without time nothing makes sense. I don't know how else to say it I'm pretty baked.

13. #13 yurigadaisukida, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
    I don't like the term real. I prefer assuming everything you experience is "real"

For example, when I play a video game, in fighting a real dragon. The dragon I percieve is a result of a computer code, but I'm still perceiving a dragon.

The same is true of our world. It doesn't matter what causes space and time or if its a material object, in the end, it is what we experience (space and time)

I use the same logic when I talk about consciousness and free will.

I don't believe learning that the brain is "simply a complicated chemical reaction" changes the emotion we perceive as love"

The brain had to work somehow. Learning how it works doesn't change anything.

This might be because you are perceiving it from a different perspective. How should I put this.

If time is simply a perception of order of events, then time is still a real thing. It is still fundamental. It will always take x time for events to happen and how time is measured is relative to the events being percieced. Just as length is not real. Length is relative distance between two things.

Well yea. Humans are irrelevent. Maybe I explained my views wrong.

Events happen in order regardless of perception. Time is a description of the relative order.

Do you believe time is a thing? Like energy? Gravity, matter, everything else?
    Yes I think you misunderstand me.

I can use time dilation as a better example maybe.

When you get close to gravity, time slows down. Because of this Einstein theorized that time and space are connected and affected by gravity.

Now scientists try to model "space" as am actual object like a blanket all things are woven into.

But there doesn't need to be a physical space or time to explain these observations.

What we percieve as "time slowing down" could be just partical interactions sslowing down in relation to other particles that aren't slowing down.
    Exactly. I simply believe time is an order of events. A unit of time is what is relative. A second is the ammount of "time" it takes for the sequence of events to take place

This is all just my hypothesis, I'm purely talking philosophically

Perhaps we will discover a particle that causes time

14. #14 nativetongues, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    I guess what I'm saying is that similarly to how we are discovering particles that give everything matter, I think it is very possible that we discover something physical which is responsible for the unfolding of events. I guess I would agree that a second or a specific measurement of time is all relative and man made, same as how an inch is a man made unit. What I am saying is that the things we use to represent space and time, feet, liters, and seconds are all relative because you could always make an even smaller length of time or space to use as a unit. I agree with this conclusion, but I believe that the phenomenon which these measurements represent are not just relative. I believe that there is a physical connection between space, time, energy, and matter which is why time is always moving and can be affected by our physical universe. It's very possible I'm wrong, but I have a somewhat dogmatic belief that all of these things interact with each other based off fundamental laws of the universe.

15. This is also possible. Some have theorized that wwe are basically in the matrix. Fundamental particles are Tue real world equivalent to 1's and 0's effectively.

In this case there would be a particle for everything.

Well yea that's kinda what I was saying.

As movement/interactions happen, space expands and "time" (order of events) move forward.

Space and time are the same. For an action to cause a reaction, there needs to be both location and order of events.

Well we are just speculating anyway. This is how people exercise their brains

16. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. I think you have a pretty good idea and honestly I'm pretty inclined to believe it. My only question is do interactions happen regardless of time or do they require time to occur? Kind of the chicken or egg argument. Did time cause interactions or did interactions cause time? I suspect it's something much more complicated that indicates that both arose from something else but I don't think well ever fully know. That's not to say we can't get a better idea of it through things like physics and empirical evidence.

18. I don't think its a chicken or egg issue. I made a post a while back in philosophy about why we exist. Can't find it now

I believe we exist because we cannot not exist. Nothing can only be measured as an.instant so for practical purposes, nothing can't exist

It takes 1 singularity, 1 event, to turn nothing into something.

This 1 event has a reaction. That reaction has more reactions.

They don't know or care about time they just happen.

Time and space are just the frame of reference these reactions happened in

19. I kind of get what you are saying but I don't get the conclusion. Are you saying time doesn't really exist and that it's just how we perceive the unfolding of events? Definitely seems like a possibility, I'm just trying to clarify your position.

20. #20 yurigadaisukida, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Edit edit: actually you can ingor my post. I'm just rambling. You seem to understand my point. Time is just order of events I think

Edit: actually I can describe it the opposite way and it still works. "Time" transcends reality. Time is progress. As reality happens, it is time. This is why time iis always moving forward and you cannot reverse it. Because time nnot a thing its an order.

I also do not buy the theory that you can travel "back in time" to a parallel universe. However. I would believe that you could travel to a parallel universe where events unfolded differently. But parallel universes are a topic for another thread

It exists, just not by itself. Just like length doesn't exist.

Length exists if something exists. If something exists it has length.

Time exists if stuff exists. If things happen time was there by default. If nothing happens, there wasn't time either

Basically space and time are measurements of relative dimensions of things that exist. Imo

So for example. If you get close to a black hole, "time" isn't slowing down, just particle interactions relative to the rest if the universe are