PPs Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by PP117, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Looking great so far bro :) really curious to see what the yield is using aquaponics, but either way I'm definitely giving it a shot shortly.

2. These are my 2 best-looking plants so far:
    IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG

The leaf shapes look different to me, with the top plant being longer and pointier, and the bottom one being rounder. I don't know what that means. Is that just phenotypical differences? Is there a possibility it's genetic differences, since I don't know where the seeds came from?

1 of the 9 plants is still small, and I'm surprised how much slower it's growing than the others.

I'm trying to decide if I should try starting the other 20 seeds I have now, or if I should just wait a few weeks until I can start making clones of the females. I think I've been preferring waiting for the clones.

3. #83 Breezey007, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Hard to tell seeing as they are from an unknown source mate, could just be different phenos, could be entirely different strains....should be fun finding out along the way though! :)

Wouldn't worry too much about one starting off slower than the others,I had one exactly the same...I planted my last one a week later than the rest and within 4 days it was already bigger than the small one lol. I was fairly certain it wasn't going to make it, and then literally overnight it shot up! within a few days it was almost the same height as the rest....I think some just take a little while longer to get their juices flowing.

And yeah I would hold off starting the other seeds for the moment bro, unless you have somewhere in mind to grow them already?. As you say, clones will be available within a few weeks anyway, going that route will probably only take a week or so longer than planting the seeds now as well.

Also, for all you know right now, these babies could turn out to be pure sativa bud laden monster trees lol...29 of them might prove a little hard to disguise if the family turn up last week of flowering....Although as it will be pretty much December, you might just get away with covering them in tinsel and fairy lights and explaining that you are feeling particularly festive this year! ;)

4. 19 days from sprouting:
    IMG_0195.JPG

5. Looking absolutely faultless so far! :)

6. 2 pics: First one is my widest, shortest plant. That's pretty stocky, isn't it? Maybe that means it has a lot of indica in the genetics? Do you think a sativa strain would ever be that short?

2nd pic is my only runt. It's tiny. I'm thinking of getting rid of it soon.
    IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG

7. One of my plants started looking sick since a couple days ago. It's weird, because the other 8 plants are still looking decent. I wonder why just 1 plant would get sick, even though they're all in the same conditions. Maybe it's genetics? I've been keeping up with my IPM, and none of them have any signs of pests.

This is the sick one:
    IMG_0228.JPG

The following are pics of some of the others. Just this morning I noticed for the first time that when I rub the leaves, they smell like marijuana! Since I haven't smelled that in a long time, it reminded me of my college friends.
    IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG

8. #88 Breezey007, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Based on my vast wealth of experience mate, I have come to the conclusion that there is a runt in every litter...hope you haven't pulled the little lady yet, I had one exactly the same, within a week she caught right up to the rest...some just take that little bit longer.

No clue why one would get sick in an aquaponic setup though....kinda looks like the leaves are curling up at the sides and down at the tips at the same time.....isn't closest to the lights no? Can't see it being anything you are doing wrong seeing as the others are fine.

9. And yeah....smelling my ladies pretty strongly now too lol....carbon filter will have to be attached any day now, but for the moment, loving the aroma!

10. The runt looks like it's pulling through. I guess I'll keep it for a while and see what happens. This is what it looks like now (used a flash for the pic):
    IMG_0233.JPG

11. I know! It smells way better than I would've thought! Too bad we can't keep the smell! :)

I started to get paranoid, because my hands smell like weed after I touch the plants, and then I can't tell if it's my hands that smell or if the entire area smells.

12. I think you are safe right now bro lol....I notice the smell when I open the tent each morning, it's way strong, but I'm only exhausting to another empty room at the moment, so I guess it's easier...doubt anybody will notice the scent on you after you leave the house, but visitors may pick up on it, after all we are living with it haha, they might pick it up same way you or I would pick up a doggy scent in a different environment...My carbon filter is getting connected this week lol, have a feeling you will be doing the same. ;)

13. My green bean plants that are in the same system have started flowering. So far they look very healthy. I'll be curious to see if the plants end up producing beans.

I hope this is a sign that I can get the cannabis to the flowering stage too.
    IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG

14. So far everything seems to be going well. I switched to HPS bulbs yesterday. The plants are growing quickly. The 1 sick plant still looks a little sick, but it might pull through. And the runt plant is still small, but it looks like it's still growing.

This is a pic of one of the 7 plants that still look healthy. This is 27 days after sprouting.
    IMG_0244.JPG

15. Some of the plants started to show pre-flowers. It's still too early to sex them though. So far everything is looking really good. This is about a month after sprouting.

BTW I learned recently that these aren't actually bagseeds. They were from an amateur indoors grower who saves the seeds from his best plants. He said that there were different strains in the mix of seeds that I have.

16. Some of the plants are staying nicely compact and bushy. I think some of the pre-flowers will start showing sex within the next few days.
    IMG_0270.JPG

17. My best-looking plant started to show female pre-flowers:
    IMG_0279.JPG

This is the plant:
    IMG_0281.JPG

I'll probably start taking some clones soon.

I'm thinking I might switch to 12/12 in a few days.

18. Looking good bro! :) 

I would maybe give them a few days after taking the clones before switching to 12/12....not sure how much shock taking the clones creates for them, but at least that way they get a bit of a healing period before the shock of going to flower. 

Thinking about reducing my light schedule by an hour a night to get them to 12/12 actually, been reading that it's less stress for them that way. 

19. The plants are looking really good so far. I wasn't expecting to get this far so easily. Tonight at midnight I'll start them on a 12/12 schedule for the first time.

Out of 9 total plants I have 5 confirmed females. I've cloned them all. I'll need a few more days to see if any of the other 4 are girls.

7 of the 9 plants were healthy, 1 was a runt from the beginning, and 1 was looking sick from the beginning. The 5 confirmed females are from the healthy plants.

A really nice thing about aquaponics is that I can use the same water for feeding the plants at all stages of growth. I use the water from the fish tank for feeding them when they're seedlings, clones, vegging, and flowering.

20. Everything is going well. This is day 2 of the 12/12 schedule. The temps have been great, since the weather is cool here now.

This is my favorite bushy female plant:
    IMG_0311.JPG

This is one of my taller stretching females:
    IMG_0312.JPG

This is the plant that was sick from the beginning. She ended up to be female. Somehow she looks like she'll survive. I'm still wondering if I should pull a clone from her, knowing that she was susceptible to illness from the beginning.
    IMG_0313.JPG

This is the plant that was a runt from the beginning:
    IMG_0314.JPG

So far 6 of the 9 plants ended up to be female. That's a pretty good ratio, huh? Of the 3 remaining plants, 1 is probably a male, and the other 2 are still immature.