Growing Pollen

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by orellej, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Do you trim off lots of the male branches, and only leave 1 or 2 branches for collecting pollen? I'm worried that if I don't trim my males and leave only 1 branch to watch, pollen sacks might start opening all over the place without me noticing.

2. #22 Patanjali, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014

It really depends if I want a little pollen or a lot! Most of the time when the males start throwing nuts, I'll take them and stick them in a bedroom window, or somewhere away from the grow area. Then I either shake them over a big piece of white paper and collect, or I throw a baggie over the top and shake em.

P-

3. Thanks!

I guess the best thing to do would be to remove my male plants from the grow area. I'm just worried about messing up on the timing, because this is my first time. If I remove the plants too early, then they could stink up the place, since they'll be outside of my tent.

I think I'll end up trimming the males, since this is my first time. Then I'll only have to watch 1 branch for the pollen, and plus they won't smell as much. And since I'm planning on pollinating only 1 female branch, I'm guessing I'll have enough pollen.

4. #24 Patanjali, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014

I should clarify, I pull the male out of the room. I leave the females in the room.

5. How close do you think these sacs are to opening up? Should I separate this male from the females now?
    IMG_0363.JPG

Looks like it's getting pretty close to me!

P-

*I* would move it right now.

I've seen flowers closed, gotten up from where I was sitting on the deck and went in to get another beer (mainly, I was just sitting there watching the hummingbirds), and the thing was wide open and spewing when I got back. Never realized they could open that fast. Of course, this was outside in full sun, which may have had something to do with it. Had it on top of a bucket with the clones I wanted pollinated arranged below.

But, from closed to open in 5 min or so? Surprised me.

Wet

8. Thanks a lot for telling me that. I'll probably have them moved today.

9. If I cut off the top of that branch, and then put it in a plastic bag, would the pollen sacs still open up into the bag? 

10. I'd use paper, not plastic. Plastic would retain moisture and will kill the pollen. I use paper for drying and stuff and then glass Ball jars after it's dry.

TBH, it's been years since I tried what you're asking about. Just never had much luck with it. Now, I just have clones ready for when the males pop. But, I'm basically just making the same cross over and over.

I'm sure someone will have the information you're asking for.

BTW, those brown paper lunch bags you can get at the grocery work really well. Under $2 for a bag of them.

Wet

11. Hey wet, I remember a while back, SG1 was mixing his pollen with water to apply to the buds for making seeds.... water didn't seem to kill the pollen like I've read around here forever... with dew and rain and fog and humidity being what they can be, I'd think it'd be hard to pollen ate in nature if water nullified pollen...

I dont know first hand, I'm just throwing this out there. :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. The pollen still hasn't fallen yet, so I'm still waiting on that.

Do you think a small flower like this would be a decent one to pollinate? Or would I have to wait longer for the flower to get more mature?
    IMG_0394.JPG

You gotta' wait until there are a lot of mature pistils...

There's nothing happening yet...

It doesn't 'kill' it per se, but causes it to germinate. It dies if there is no connection with a female pistil.

Sort of like germinating a seed and never planting it. Make sense?

What I've noticed AFA rain, fog, dew, is that when such happens the flowers don't seem to do much. But when the sun comes out and things get drier, they start cranking. This is really from short observation since I don't hang around long in the rain. But being wind pollinated rather than insect pollinated, it makes sense they would be sensitive to moisture in the air.

Wet

15. Just talk to orchard farmers. One rainstorm took about $10k from one dude's olive harvest last year, he told me. Rain does more than just 'germinate' the pollen, it knocks it down to the ground, too. I'm sure this is something plants have evolved to, 'work around' over the millions of years they've been kickin'.