Fridge Grow / Clone Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by fishwater, Aug 4, 2014.

1. So I got a couple 6" elbows today from the hardware store and Laid out where to cut the hole to vent out to the fan & filter.
    Because of the thickness of the insulation and case, I had to angle the hole upwards a little.
    Made a cardboard template to trace on inside & out.
    Cut the inside with a RotoZip and the back with a thin sharp chisel.
    I started to do the back metal with the RZ but broke my last bit so...

Attached Files:

2. #22 fishwater, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
    The air, 240 CFM will have to pass right by the lightbulb
    The grow cabinet is 14 cubic feet, at 240 CFM it will change the air in the box 12 times a minute !

Attached Files:

3. Then the air will make 1 more turn and then go into the 6" inline fan and then in to the filter I have yet to make.

Attached Files:

4. #24 fishwater, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
    And… while I was makin a Holy friggin mess, I went ahead and traced my large tray and cut it unto the floor.
    This will give me 2" more to lower the scrog screen !

Things are really working out FAR better than I dreamed !!!

Attached Files:

5. That's pretty inexpensive for a 240 cfm,what brand is it?

6. Looks good.Let everyone know how it works?

7. Trust me, I can't wait to light it up for a test.
    Still have a lot of little crap to get/build/do.
    Hope to start a grow of 6 around end of Sept after returning from holiday :)

8. Guys, I'm gathering a lot of the other tidbits that I am gonna need and I know I have a LOT more knowledge to absorb by reading all the valuable info here and elsewhere.

Question:
    I am shopping for timer/s and I was wondering.
    Do I need 2 timers or ?
    Do you run the main exhaust fan only when the lights are on or always?
    Do you run the nutrient pump only while feeding or do you have a different schedule for the hydro?
    Using drip rings onto Rockwool cubes.

9. I use Mechanical grey box water heater timers,never had one fail before, Digital timers are easier but do fail sometimes.Been through a couple. Used them on my landscape lighting.Replaced with grey box,no failures.

10. I was thinking that too, the one on my pool pump has lasted for years.
    Question is, how many timers am I going to need?
    Thanks.

11. I'm using one right now for my fridge on the LED panel. My Vent/fresh air fan and circulation fans  run constant(odor control),I don't know if I should put the vent fan on the same cycle as my light,Mold could become a problem. I will probably put my upper circulation fan on the timer though since wind goes down at night.
    I run nursery lights 24 hours.no timer needed,
    I may need an extra timer if I do some supplemental lighting in the future (.i.e,  bloom initiator or uv b spectrum.)
    Hope this helps !
    Others will chime in.

12. #33 fishwater, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    I read Bohbo's carbon filter thread with great exuberance till I realized it was designed to fit onto a 4" duct pipe.
    So I look to my immediate left and I see the Pencil cage that Bohbo used for the larger piece.
    I was thinking about using that as my inner sleeve and thought about my bait bucket or something to go on the outside of that then it popped into my head… cricket basket.
    Looked it up on bass pro and said YES.
    Went to my LHS (local hardware store) and picked up a cricket cage and a 6"
    tabbed flange.
    20140807_162417_resized.jpg

13. #34 fishwater, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    Flattened all the tabs on the flange, carefully pulled on the top rim of the basket and got it off, drilled 2 holed in the tabs and attached with 2 screws.
    You can see that there will be almost 3/4" thick layer of carbon between the 2 baskets.
    Nice and compact too !
    I still have to buy a pair of knee high stockings and the carbon bits.

Attached Files:

14. Hey moderator,
    How come I cannot use the search feature on this site?

Thanks

15. Good find !
    I'm gonna try a little bigger filter

Might be a bit overkill,and not so stealthy.I made it big for less restriction on the fan .
    If it works good,I will locate filter and fan to my attic and vent out at top roof vents.

filter.jpg

Have you tried looking in this section?

http://forum.grasscity.com/forum-tech-questions-problems-troubleshooting/

If there is nothing in there to help you, please feel free to create a thread  in the tech section so that tech support can attempt to help you with your problem.

You should probably be a bit more specific about your problem as well as "cannot use the search feature" is a bit vague and makes it harder for tech to diagnose the problem...

Do you not have an option to search?
    Do you not know how to use it?
    Do you get no results?
    Do you not get the results that you want?
    Are you using the app or a browser? If so, what browser?

The more information you can include, the better tech support will be able to assist you... :)

17. So...
    Im looking at this filter thinking how I can fill it?
    The inner cage is a little deeper than the cricket basket. so I took out the flange screws I had installed from the inside out and put 2 speed nuts on that rim of the cricket cage into the factory drilled holes.

Attached Files:

18. Put the stocking on the inner cage and it's little lip/flange squeezes in-between the bucket rim and the tabs on the metal flange, screwed in this time from the flange side, but first the bottom of the cricket cage is taken off, the bottom of the inner cage traced on it and removed with a dremmel or rotozip.
    Set the filter on the metal flange and fill up the gap with carbon, leaving JUST enough space to push the altered cricket cage bottom back in place.
    The bottoms of both the inner & outer cages are pretty much flush now.

Attached Files:

19. The  brush off all the little bits of carbon just barely poking through the outer screen and stretch a stocking up from the bottom and stop just before the yellow lip of the bucket.
    Wrap with foil duct tape, then, pull the stocking all the way over the metal flange inward.
    Then pull up the stocking that covers the inner cage up from the center and pull it over the metal flange to the outside.

There you have it !

Attached Files: