Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How To Avoid Getting Arrested/how To Minimize Legal Ramifications.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Duces Tecum, Aug 3, 2014.

1. #1 Duces Tecum, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    People will more than likely have a run-in with the police while partaking in herbal activities. The most common places of encounter will during a traffic stop, at your home or someone elses or on the street. I will start with my tips on how to perform during a traffic stop and I will eventually add other posts regarding what to do in different scenarios to keep each post fairly small.

Alright so you're cruising down the street and lets assume the worst case scenario that you have some bud in your pocket and you notice a cop following you closely. Firstly, don't have anything illegal in your car unless you can readily swallow it in under a minute. So swallow that stuff when you see the police signaling for you to pull over! 

The traffic stop will go like this, 1: The officer stops you because he saw you violate a traffic law, you were speeding or you have a light out. H e can't stop you for no reason and he has to prove in court that he had a reason to pull you over. When pulled over just pull over all the way to the right and give the officer some room so he isn't worried about getting hit by traffic, keep your hands on the steering wheel where the officer can see them and be sure to have the car turned off. The more at ease you can get the officer, the easier and less vigilant he will be towards you. 2: The officer is going to ask you for your drivers license and other documents all while trying to assess if you are apart of any other criminal activity. He may want to search your car but he has to have probable cause to do so, he would need the odor of marijuana or something like a bag of weed sitting in plain view. 3: Investigative detention, basically you will be asked out of the car, patted down and asked questions so they can understand what you are doing out so late or whatever your case may be. Be smart, you have the right to remain silent when dealing with police, so be respectful but do not answer any questions. During this time the police will then ask to search your car and they are asking because they don't have permission so always deny their requests to search by saying "Officer I understand you are just doing your job but I don't consent to searches and I would really like to be on my way." After you deny a search politely ask the officer "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" This simple question establishes the fact that you are unwillingly being held and the police have to have some sort of physical evidence or suspicion against you to hold you against your will. From here the only move the police have is to get a drug dog and if it alerts on your vehicle (which the police can force the dog to alert) then they can search, so be ready because they will search. Hide your stuff under panels or somewhere very hidden but the best thing you can do is to just swallow your stuff and never keeps pipes or anything like that in the car. Now since you didn't consent to the search the police will then have to establish in court why they wanted to search you by supplying a reason such as an odor or the sight of ashes on the seat, if the officer can't prove his suspicion of you being a part of criminal activity then the search can be ruled as being illegal and all evidence seized would be thrown out of court. So lets say they find something, be calm and realize that you will be going to jail. Say nothing to the police because they will likely be asking for information to make it "easier" on you but they are really just trying to get more evidence against you.

To sum it up:
    1- Be respectful to police, but don't answer any questions.
    2-Don't give police a reason to stop you, don't drive like a maniac and don't drive with anything illegal unless you can swallow it immediately. It's known that nothing good happens after 9:30 pm, so do all your drug deals in the morning/afternoon and don't be out late. There are less cars out on the road at night so more attention would be on you if you passed a patrolling police car.
    3-Do not give permission to search your body and your vehicle. The officer is asking you for a reason, he needs permission so don't give it to him. Again, denying their searches gives room for defense in the courtroom because the police will have to supply a reason with evidence as to why they searched you without permission. 
    4-Inform the officer respectfully that you do not want to be there and you would like to be on your way by saying "Officer am I being detained or am I free to go?"
    5-Don't drive around with anything you can't swallow! Chances are that you will get searched by police, just because they are good at making that happen even if they don't have "probable cause" so swallow what you got right when you see those lights in your mirror! If you get caught doing this you will be charged with destruction of evidence though so be veryyyy careful! 

I hope I helped a bit, don't worry about police when you see them. They are people just like everyone else who go home and sit on the toilet and fiddle with their phones just like everyone else. The only difference is that they have sworn to protect the law so don't ever think they will "go easy" on you. If they witness you doing a crime, you will be going to jail.

It's easy to avoid these situations, just be smart and use a little common sense and it will go along way and it will save you money in court fees and fines too.

2. Not to bash your thread or anything.

But anyone who takes legal advise from a stoner forum written by a guy who isn't a member of the BAR, probably deserves to be in jail...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. i wanted to see the thread....

4. Sorry everyone, I had to edit my post a bit from the original one I did last night. Feel free to add in any tips that you might have with the police. I know there are tons, I could write all day on this topic.

5. Good tips in here. It always breaks my heart to see it hear about people getting written up because they couldn't keep it together and not act suspicious.

Happy toking!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Why not? Smoking bud doesn't mean you can't also be intelligent. From what I read, his advice was as good as a lawyer could give you for a similar situation. Obviously GC isn't the first place you should go for legal advice, but that doesn't mean it's the worst place. There are a lot of extremely knowledgable people on here

Happy toking!

7. i think the info was spot on. a lot of what is said is common sense but i like a thread like this anyway. it is good for younger blades and older ones too. keeping your mouth shut is by far the best thing you can ever do. ever watch cops? see how the only guys who walk away are the ones who don't say much. saying your in need of a bathroom and that the strange behavior the cop thinks he is seeing is actually anxiety about getting to a crapper before you shit your pants. that will also get you out of speeding tickets too. just act like you are about to have a blow out in your shorts :ey:

8. This is not legal adivse, this is learning how to lie to cops...which may end up requiring you to hire a REAL lawyer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. The creator of this forum topic is an intelligent and helpful fellow stoner, he/she didn't have to go through all that work of how to warn us on searches period. We should be thankful for the tips and tricks on how to not be detained from a search of a police officer. But for the people who smoke/drink and drive should seriously reconsider due to the fact that you are putting others in danger while under the influence.

10. What lies? You're not making much sense.

11. Just try to use your paranoia to your advantage, be cautious, but not so cautious that it overpowers the other aspects of the high.

12. "Who are you on the phone with?"

"My attorney." :cool:

13. #13 andy85258, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    So  basically just dont consent to searches without a warrant and dont answer questions?  

wish i could say this was common sense for most people, but then again iv'e had friends who've rolled their joints in public and in broad daylight   <_<

14. He's not saying you should lie.. He's just saying that you have certain rights, and you should use them when you can. Too many people out there don't know their own rights, and that's how abuse of power cases get started

Happy toking!