Psychology Is Spiritual

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Thejourney318, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Just a general thought I would like to see what others think about. I believe that psychology is spiritual. There are certainly aspects of spirituality which extend beyond psychology, but psychology is a very significant part of spirituality. In fact, I really think this is a significant omission among the spiritual. And I think it is unfortunate that psychology, as generally seen, is quite divorced from spirituality. Really I think it is unfortunate that our society sees psychology as something primarily for the 'mentally ill.'

Psychology is the study of the human mind. How could this not be valuable for all? "Know thyself." Coming to an understanding of the Self is one of the highest spiritual aims. How can psychology be divorced from this? Spirituality often aims at some such goal as transcending the ego. While I do consider this to be spiritually important, I feel that it has the tendency to influence people to disregard their psyche. This is a mistake, I believe.

We should consider the transcendental level of reality/self to be a layer of your Being. The idea should not be to ignore all of the other layers. I think that lack of integration with the more personal layers of one's being/psyche may perhaps be the reason for impermanence of spiritual states. Because the transcendental is great, but the other real, legitimate aspects of your being, your personal psychology, are all inevitably going to pop up. And if it hasn't been thoroughly understood and integrated, it will contradict the transcendental, and stress will be induced. Spiritually can largely be seen as the journey to understand the Self, and its relationship to the larger reality. This must include both the transcendental aspects and the personal, psychological aspects.

2. aspects of your psychology will certainly pop up, but is the state of having transcended the ego dependent on the psychology of the individual? the many paths to understanding the self make the journey; the route is not so defined. surely spirituality is fostered by psychology, but they are independent, yet tied.  

it is a shame though that psychology is largely seen as regarding the mentally ill. 

3. There is no alternative to genuine love. Whatever way you find around this obstacle that is needed, can not work despite how much faith you can muster. The severe complexities of life generate a simple answer. Yet the simplest solution can be the most immense of unlocking all knowledge. You cannot fear a simple answer, even if the change is unknown. Give it the benefit of the doubt, and it won't be as hard as suspected..

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Grasscity Forum mobile app