Have You Scrogged Without Topping

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by chiefton8, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Was curious to here thoughts from anyone who has done a scrog without topping.

I like the idea of keeping the main stem, but worry that it might be tough to keep the canopy level and the growth even throughout the screen.

The only scrog I've done was last grow and although my canopy was level and evenly distributed, there was a part of me that just missed having that massive cola. :unsure: 

2. I never top. It is a sure way to slow down growth. Just pull the fast tops to a far away hole and it will stimulate the slower ones to grow. Keep doing that until all the holes in the screen are full.

One plant scrog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice and pics...you probably just convinced me not to top on my next grow.  

Out of curiosity, what were the dimensions of that scrog and how much light were you using? 

That screen is 18" x 48". I currently use a 400 watt HID

Thanks man.

Not too different from what I'm doing. Gives me hope.  

6. If youdo not top won't the plant grow towards one part of the screen as it is only one main stem Wouldn't it be better to top and have the new shoots spread evenly. The pics are great! How did you get it so uniform without topping
    meantto quote you for the question above

7. For some reason, when the top get's stuck under the screen, it makes the lower branches go nutz. The lower branches growth rate increases and new branch growth goes into over drive. The more fast tops you pull back under the screen the larger the effect. The whole thing starts to snowball very quickly.

Topping is a very slow process that can't match the number of new tops and growth of scrog.

8. Yep I have had the same experience as Rumple... Keep the main stalk underneath the screen and all kinds of other shoots will pop...

9. #9 Emma & Dave, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    Im doing scrog in a 4x4 atm... having some serious troubles keeping the plants all thinned out and organized. I choose to top one plant and not another, i notice much better growth from the one i didnt top. I have two plants under the screen. 6 days into flower, screen is like 75% full. But what is full, is FULL. Do i disgard any shoots that dont have a hole dedicated to them?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. hi everyone,

i totally appreciated this blog and i got some questions, hope it's not too late to post as i just signed up :p

i'm going to start my first scrog-grow in a few days (just got my clones and ready to start, the space is approximately 100cm x 100cm (a bit more than 3' i suppose, excuse my bad conversion skills), HPS 600 W with cool tube,  4,5 gallon buckets, i'll build my screen the way it's described on "LBHs famous scrog tutorial" (without the topping i hope)

clones are: Big Bud 
                       NYCD    both are bushy with about 8'' in length, i've bend the main stem, and directed the small branches away  

Super Silver Haze
                       AK-47                  both about 13'' and lanky, i've bend the main stems only so that about 2/3 of the clones are now horizontally directed

now for the questions... 
    1. how far above the plants should i put the screen and when to put it there?
    2.)how to position the pots, bushy plants in the front or the back?
    3.) where to bend the bigger plants once the main stem hits the wall?

best greetings, temples_of_bloom

11. I agree with rump and Jonny, now days only top when they are gettin to tall my veg cab before they go under the screen, once they are in the screen I don't top at all, after awhile it's hard to tell which is the main

12. I third the no topping advice. Only time I cut plants are for clones, to clean under the screen or at harvest. SCROG works without cutting anything. That's the point.

I usually start LST before they get under a screen to make them bush out a bit and let the plants under the screen finish off flower then after harvest the new clones are added and fill the screen really quick. Plus cutting the plants increase risk of infections, so only for clone for me. If I'm not SCROGing the plant that's a different story though.