Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety And Paranoia

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by gala, Aug 2, 2014.

1. I was hoping some of you could share you expertise on dealing with weed related paranoia and anxiety.

I have always experienced anxiety when smoking too much marijuana. I solved this by simply smoking less. 3 or 4 medium hits is normally my limit. I would like get a stronger buzz without negative thoughts rushing through my head.

Some of the things I get worked up about

1) think my throat is closing

2) scared I am going to throw up (I have a phobia to puking)

3) attempt to do simple task, yet cant (this gets me very worked up)

4) I have pectus excavatum and I get very paranoid that there is not enough room for my heart and lungs when i am high

5) the problems are worse when I am around other people. it makes it hard to relax

It has been a while since I have had marijuana induced anxiety. I have been smoking by myself most of the summer, but just last night I was blazing with some of my more experienced smoking friends. We were playing poker. I took two big hits off a blunt and lost my cool. I was struggling to comprehend the game which got me extremely worked up (we were playing with real money). This then escalated into me thinking I was going to throw up (i burp a lot when i am high), which also brought up thoughts about my throat closing. Its a viscous cycle of negative thoughts. When this happens I normally try and meditate to clear my mind, but this is extremely difficult in social situations.

What are my options other than smoke less? Obviously I will smoke less, but I would also like to overcome my paranoia/anxiety so I can fully enjoy the herb.

Have any of you suffered from anxiety after smoking weed?

2. I would try slowing increasing intake. I never experience this, no. I think it is all in your head and you just have to learn to control your high. Maybe try vaping a good sativa so you are more functional.

Honestly dude to get over this you need to smoke more. Smoke and walk to the library or to a convenient store for ice cream. The more you put yourself out there stoned and live through it the more the anxiety will die down. I mean fuck it's weed  bro

Yes I do vape, and I do prefer sativa. When I smoke rather than vape, I have increased anxiety.

5. Just keep smoking. Watch some tv or good movie. Eat some food. Keep your mind busy and off the paranoia.

6. seek out these negative thoughts, look for something that could be corrected, something unfinished or unsettled. solve this, and be carefree. mary jane can put these thoughts to the front of your mind and amplify the stress you may not feel sober. 

7. just looking to get some more opinions. I do like the suggestion of just getting super baked and getting past the anxiety. All my anxiety stems from physical issues I have no control over.

tightness in chest <- pectus excavatum

tightness in throat / paranoid im going to throw up <- acid reflux

I really just need to get over my fears, because there is nothing i can do to resolve these issues.

8. #8 Captain_Jack, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    To get over the "mind fuck" of not being able to understand simple things when high is simply cured by smoking more. It could also be that you had been used to smoking indicas (body high) and the blunt of which you speak was a strong sativa (head high). Anyway, start doing some different things while high, and you'll notice it become easier to function with the herb.
    Some people just aren't good at doing things while high, though. I can do basic functions (drive, talk, write, drink, etc), but I know for a fact I can't do any sort of critical thinking while stoned. It just something that I've never been able to do and don't really want to do

As for the anxiety, I'll be real with you. You're doing it to yourself. It's weed, bro, just weed. All the anxiety and paranoia is in your head. We've all had out fair share of bad highs, but if it's a constant thing, your mind is doing it to itself. Once you give in the first anxious thought, it's all down hill. Just get high, relax, remind yourself that no one cares that you're high, and just chill. Don't worry about anything else. You're high as a kite

Happy toking!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. That sounds like a Harry Potter spell

Omega369

10. Hey I agree. I get anxiety in social situations or under pressure sometimes. I shake sometimes and I don't know how to fix it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I made a similar topic on this, although it wasn't nearly as rough as the contents of your post, OP. 

From time-to-time, I'll get the smoker anxiety you're referring to. It's not about my throat or anything physical in general, it's just about my mind. I will get so baked, I start thinking of stupid shit, like my parents or fiancé dying, and then it makes me nervous and bums me out. 

The best remedy for myself is just to focus on other shit when those thoughts occur. There's nothing I can do to change reality, so why stress over it? Especially during an activity that's supposed to RELIEVE stress, not increase or highlight it. I'll throw on a movie, or make something dank to eat. It really helps. It allows me to just keep on toking and really enjoy myself. The thoughts always pop up every now and then, but they come around even when I am sober. It's just a huge fear of mine and it's unfortunately eventually unavoidable, so I just have to accept it and move on. 

Now, being that i've never suffered the same anxiety you're going through, I really can't give you much advice. If it's truly that bad, then maybe you should consider giving up on smoking and just sticking to other things, like alcohol for your enjoyments? Marijuana isn't for everyone and if it's really bogging you down like that, it's probably not healthy to keep doing that to yourself. 

In the end, though, you just have to remember that it's only weed. It's not like you're doing something terrible to your body, or some heinous drug that you'll always regret doing. It's just regular old weed. It's harmless. You should know your throat isn't closing, because you're still here today. So, why not just say fuck it and enjoy yourself? 

And honestly, what's so bad about puking? It's disgusting, sure, but that's about it. 

Either way, good luck!

12. Cold milk dude, i swear by it.  

if all else fails though take a cold shower for a while

13. As another poster said, give up the weed....if you have anxiety issues like you describe, that'll probably be best for your well-being and peace of mind...

Try having a beer or glass of wine, and try to clear your mind and relax....good luck.

14. I used to get VERY anxious whenever I'd smoke any very potent, indica-heavy hybrid.  It's a matter of mastering your mind and realizing you're just high and that any sensation will pass. Also, any anxiety towards how you act is the same thing, you're high. Go with it. Do what comes naturally. If you fight the high you won't enjoy it.

15. anyone know where @[member="cball"] went?

whenever i see a post like this, and it mentions cannabis as "marijuana" like it was in the second sentence it seems so sketch and fake

16. This post is real. I guess you just never experience paranoia, consider yourself lucky. Btw I am fine if I do not smoke too much, but if I get too high, I get thrown out of my comfort zone.

I wish I could get totally blasted without any negative thoughts, I am just not there yet.

17. I get it if I get too high but once it either wears off or I get just a mediocre high it doesn't happen. I used to have it at an extreme level but I'm teaching myself how to calm down. Try smoking less and see if that works.

18. #18 Omega369, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
    I hate posts like this

Just because weed affects you one way, it doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Omega369

19. Why smoke if you feel that way ?

20. Hey dude, you're probably suffering from anxiety regardless of smoking weed and weed is just bringing it out.

I used to get some mild anxiety, as I'm anxiety prone, weed or not, and I find if I tell myself to simply "ride it out" I am fine. Just know that weed isn't going to cause your throat to close or whatever negative thought you may be thinking. It'll go away on it's own, and you also need to convince yourself before you light up, that if anxiety sets in, I'm prepared for it, and I'll just ride it out. Make sure your mind is in a good place, if not, get it to a good place. If you can't, don't smoke that night.

Maybe stick with an indica if a satvia is making you feel this way. Don't smoke as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum