Week 9.5 Of 12/12 - Bud Development Slowed - New Growth On Lower Part Of The Plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by quidado, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Hi, so my plant is on week 9.5 of lights being 12/12. Bud production has been great up until about a week and half ago. I've got giant buds on the upper parts of the plant. But as of last week, there has been no progress, no growth, no color change, no swelling. IMG_20140730_222319.jpg   IMG_20140730_222324.jpg

But within the last week and a half, there's a been a huge amount of new development on lower parts of the plant. IMG_20140730_222310.jpg

I fear this lower development is taking away from the actual bigger buds. Is this an actual problem or am I worrying about nothing?

Would the new growth at the bottom of the plant be due to the fact that a lot of the fan leaves on the upper plant have died of, therefore allowing for more light to reach the lower branches?

Should I remove these lower branches so the plant goes back to focusing on the bigger buds? Or should I just let this grow out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No do not cut the bottom buds - you can double harvest - will explain.

The fan leaves falling off and giving them better light penetration is fattening them up.

For 9.5 week of flower I don't see any trichs?? what kind of feed schedule/lights/temps/strain??

you have a 30x-100x microscope to look at trich devolpment?

Sometimes the buds will stop swelling and frost up - this doesn't seem to be the case, need more info from you. What NPK ratios are you working with?

Double harvest - Some people will cut the main cola and top buds - leave the plant to grow for another few weeks which allow the bottom buds to fully mature.

It looks healthy, just be patient...

3. Thanks for your input.
    There's trichs, but not as frosty as other pics i've seen, but I am noticing more and more as days go by.
    IMG_20140801_233734.jpg

Feed schedule -  Water every 2-3 days, feed every second wattering, 15-30-15
    Temps -  about 85 - 90 degrees with lights on, 75 - 80 lights off...
    Lights - 600Watt HPS for the two plants. 12/12
    Strain - Unknown, bag seed.

No microscope :( I've ordered one online, just waiting on arrival. 

Thanks again for your input.

4. those are very undersireable temps. 75-80 day and 65-70 night would be more ideal. either way, good job, keep it green :smoking:

5. Buds just hit another growth spurt.. it's insane.. will they ever stop growing? lol.
    Trich production seems to be up too.

Managed to get temp down a bit.. Around 80 - 85 lights on

Attached Files:

6. Here's a couple more pictures. Someone made a comment saying there's not much trichs on my plant, which got me worried.. What do you think? Does this seem standard or is it really lacking?

I really wish my microscope would hurry up and arrive in the mail

Attached Files:

7. Can you get any pictures of the actual bud to see the trichs all I can see are leaves and looks like you've a bit of time left on those anyways

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I was concerned about the trichless leaves etc but someone had allready mentioned it so I didn't think you needed to hear it again. It just looks immature I guess??

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. No just wanted to see the buds behind the longer leaves is all but your call mate

10. #10 quidado, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014

Are these pictures any better? Here's close up:
    Untitled.png Untitled1.png Untitled3.png

Here's non zoomed: 
    IMG_20140805_223011.jpg IMG_20140805_223019.jpg IMG_20140805_223603.jpg IMG_20140805_223603.jpg IMG_20140805_223618.jpg IMG_20140805_224233.jpg

Side question. It seems there's still more new growth coming in, does it do this all the way up till harvest time? 
    IMG_20140805_224047.jpg

Attached Files:

11. A bit light on trichs calyxes look to be swelling somewhat still couple weeks at least

Would you or anyone else advise against switching back to the MH buld for the final weeks of flowering? From what I have read, there's been a lot of success in increased trich production by doing this...

13. I agree that the trichs may look light, but in the second to last picture, the plant looks done. In fact, even in the pictures posted on 8/3, especially in picture #4, the trichs are all cloudy with some amber and the pistils look curled, thin and orange. A sharp drop in bud production can signal the optimum harvest time. The fact that you have a second wave of flowering doesn't mean the plant isn't finished. It will keep flowering while growing over-ripe. Most of the trichs are inside the buds so your harvest can be very good even with minimal trichs on the leaves.

14. #14 quidado, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

So do you think I should harvest like... NOW?
    Would there be any harm in waiting a couple more days? If there would be, then I will harvest tomorrow morning.

Here's a few more pictures.. The swelling is certainly much more noticeable. And much more orange pistils.. 

My my microscope has still yet to arrive (that's what i get for ordering last minute from China) so i haven't been able to really see the trichs that well.

Attached Files:

15. Hey sorry I didn't respond last night. If these were mine, I'd start harvesting at least the most ripe looking plants now. Good luck!

16. I may be making a huge mistake, but I've decided I'm going to let it sit under the MH for at least one more night.

I'ts been 2 cycles since I have switched the bulb to MH, and it seems trich production is up quite a bit.

So I'm thinking another 12 hours of MH, then 24 hours of dark, then harvest. 

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

17. #17 BioMeds, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    Seems like your foxtailing alittle bit. Mostly its Sativa strains that foxtail and its almost always happens around the same time 9-10 weeks flower. Some people like to wait alil while longer because the new growth needs to mature itself. I've seen where peoples plants almost double while waiting for the new growth to mature. A guy I know will not go less than 19weeks man I swear and its grade A+ smoke. I do agree while waiting for the new growth to ripen you may over ripen the rest. Its up to you really bud, I'd personally wait another couple weeks. Maybe not a whole two weeks but atleast a week. You should get another frosting and swelling cycle. There is still ALOT of white pistils on there man. If its Sativa then 9-10 weeks is nothing. As far as those amber pistils could be a fan causing those. A few of those pictures definitely DO NOT look done to me while a couple pics do look done. I'd wait 3-5 days if you see no change what's so ever then harvest JUST the ripe buds. Save the premature buds and leave under light to mature. I have cut the top cola off because it was done and left the rest and gained 25-40% more weight below. Do as you think man, trust your own judgment. You are the only one actually standing there in front of them. It would be so much easier to tell if they were right in front of us lol. Looks good though man congrats. It does look like its missing a glaze cycle though. Alright best of luck to ya bro

18. Sounds like a good plan. Maybe they'll bulk up a bit and probably won't get over-ripe in just 36 hours. 

19. #19 quidado, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice folks! I Don't think I'd have made it this far into my first grow with out everyone's help!

I'll give you guys an update in a few days!

20. I never gave anyone an update. I harvested and ended up with with a little over a 1/2 pound fully dried... about 9 1/2 ounces total from both plants.

It's not the best bud I had ever smoked, but it does the trick. Friends seem to enjoy it too.