Dabs Without A Rig

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by theGravGuy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. I recently got some hash oil, but didn't have a rig to smoke it. I ended up putting it in the end of a cheap slider stem, heated a screw and stuck it down the stem, effectively dabbing the oil. It seemed to work well, i got pretty high and it tasted like a dab. But is there any better way to smoke oil with no rig? Or improvements on this method? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405938718.783085.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405938766.199821.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405938813.591065.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. dude dont do that.  get a rig.  jeez.  that looks like unmentionables

3. Lololollollol another one of these threads. Dont be an idiot, dabbing on that is not safe for your health. Just put the oil in the downstem and heat it with a torch or lighter. Glass=safe
    Screw=not safe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Just take small knife rips dude.  I've never taken a dab but I've had some fun with bho that's for sure

5. #5 Jimmy Carter, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    whats the deal with people doing this shit??? and knife hits are no good either. Glass, quartz or Ti, anything else can fuck off :p

6. That is horrible. Please don't ever do this again. Go too the nearest head shop and explain too them

7. #7 SkunkWoodz, Aug 1, 2014

Whats wrong with knife hits?  Stainless and high carbon are both safe.

...edit... The thing with the screw is that they are usually galvanized which is not safe.  

8. i still do knife hits. it is how i learned to smoke hash back in the day. there is nothing wrong with it and i kind of like the setup. old man set in his ways :metal:

9. nothing wrong with steel? lol have fun inhaling chromium, I'll stick to glass/good Ti

10. #10 SkunkWoodz, Aug 1, 2014
    lol what butter knife company is putting chromium into their knives? 

I'm not totally disagreeing with you either, because there are better options.  But I mean seriously you got to get steel and it's alloys twice as hot as needed to be of any concern.  Propane and butane torches can't typically get steel that hot, so it's really not a concern at all.  

So much paranoia from metals, sheesh, think of welders, day in day out getting these fumes in doses 1000's of times larger than those generated by a smoker.  Do you see them just kickin the bucket? I never have.  Granted the smart ones take precaution, but you still get some inhalation no matter what.

edit--- and don't tell me you've never smoked from a silver or gold fumed piece either.  I mean fumes is the name of the game there, no one worries about that.....

11. lol welders get all sorts of health problems, was that a joke?

and what does a fumed piece have to do with anything?

12. put a couple of knives on a hot element and put ya dab on the hot knives inhale it through a half cut bottle we call them spots here but i'm sure they have other names.  :bongin:

13. Stainless steel has chromium in it, that's how it's stainless. Most cutlery is 18/10, which is 18% chromium and 10% nickel by weight.

Yeah, it has to hit melting temps (usually) to offgas some shit, but I guess people take it as a "best practice" sort of thing. Most people are ignorant of the finer points of metallurgy, so a general rule of "TI, glass or ceramic" probably protects the lemmings.

Oh, and welding can create some nasty shit that can straight up kill you.

14. Back before there were rigs we used to use knives or burn a cig at both ends (remove filter first) wait for the ash, then drip the bho on the length of the ash and light it up. I used to do that all the time but I don't smoke cigs any more so I bought a rig

15. You could probably just put some oil in the end like a third of the way down and heat from underneith with a lighter and hit it. dont even need the nail. Looks a lil sketchy tho lol wound not look good getting caught with that particular style of pipe

16. Dabs Without A Rig

1406999029464.jpg $25

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks for the correction.  Jimmy Carter, have fun with your paranoia of metals when you're stuck with nothing but butter knives  :wave:

Iv been a machinist and welder for over 20 years and this is 100% true.

I wondered about stainless too but after further research found its one of the very worst.
    (the galvanized screw the op is using is very bad)

I think the safest is the quartz.  I got a new rig just yesterday with a quartz domeless.

View attachment 1519101

$38 bong and got the nail for $20 at a head shop.

19. All of the hashish hotknives I did in the 90's.  :eek:

20. Dude a glass nail is like 5$ lol... Just cuz it's a called a nail, doesn't mean u can use real nails & screws! This is the kind of shit that's the anti weed ppl like to see...but If u can't afford a cheap ass nail then I doubt ur fuckin with quality oil anyways. So fuck it son. Tane soup & galvanized nails all day!! YOLO