Music In Its Most Simple Form

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by OutdoorIndica, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Have you ever wondered....why do we enjoy music? Music..as we know it..could just sound like noises to another planets inhabitants. Why is it so emotional and enjoyable to hear an awesome blues riff on an electric guitar, or a synthesized beat on a record? When theyre merely sounds..that can somehow describe what we are feeling..whoa.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  2. Frequency's affect the senses if the human bodies. Unnatural frequency's can be painful 'High-pitched whines'. And others can be relaxing, exciting. Based off pace, scale, transition. Most of what we feel is from sound, The first you hear your child cry it's emotional. We're just programmed to recognize sounds have meaning. And it effects the way we feel. A mental reaction to noise is in nature as well, to react to events and dangers. Our body is meant to react to sound in some way or another. That's what makes sound exist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's lost of rythems and cycles over each other. Our brain decodes patterns all the time so music is like a clusterfuck injection of crazy patterns, and your brain feels good when it decodes things

4. I think everyone air guitars to the opening riff of 'Owner of a lonely heart'

• Like Like x 1
  5. Music hasn't been innovative for very long. Cultures had specific instruments and music that was 'Spiritually' tuned to them. They made them feel one with their nature. Music doesn't have to be many sounds, a string quartet is one of the most beautiful things you can hear, and it can consist of just 3 instruments. Human's recognize 'Harmony' the balance and perfection of something, Harmony is recognized by us as feeling at one with the music,

Music that is not harmonious is not pleasureable
    Music is supposed to have 'Harmonious' balance.
    If it does not then it is not music of classical nature.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Like the healing rooms of the pyramids. They use certain frequencies when the wind blew through the various openings to heal sick or injured people. Amazing. Still not satisfied with any answers tho. Someone can play shitty guitar and u still hear it but in no way will it make you cry. So tell me how do we decifer melodies from shit?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I believe we have an internal representation of music and it constantly changes by  what we experience ,and what mood and emotions the particular person is in. Like a key and lock model , except the lock can accept many keys(songs). If there is a large incongruincy of the song with the representation you'll find it unenjoyable. The more congruent it is then the more enjoyable it becomes. Each time you listen to  particular song you may change a certain part of the representation to the point that it create incongruity therefore you get sick of a song.

8. Music can cause chemical releases in my brain. That's amazing!

9. #9 Old School Smoker, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    songs that choke me up are;

1. jealous guy by John Lennon. He put his emotions into the music. Must have made Yoko cry her eyes out.
    2. The rose by bette midler. The lyrics to the last stanza make me tear up. I can identify with what the song writer was saying.

When the night has been too lonely and the road has been too long
    And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
    Just remember in the winter far beneath the winter snows
    Lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose

Now that right there is pure fuckin poetry. It touches me.

3. Almenacia en sus brazos by jose alfredo jimenez. That's guy must have been deep in love when he wrote that song.

I feel gay right now,.

• Like Like x 1
  10. for me, nothing beats a guitar and a voice, tho i do luv all music.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dont forget faithfully by journey.

Wait, now I feel a little gay too..

True shit. ..

12. #12 Boats And Hoes, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    For, our very being is, and is in, vibration... the universe destitute of vibration is inconceivable.

... an old post of mine in regards to music...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Music touches my spirit...just as experiencing any other creative endeavor...art, literature...etc..Taking part in the creative process also does this for me.

Creating anything is an extension of Self, and it also puts us in touch with That which common in all of us.

14. Diatomic harmony

15. Music is simply sounds being organized in a particular fashion. The reason we enjoy certain styles of music may have to do with the fact that sound is something that almost always surrounds us, so having these sounds organized gives us an appreciation of harmony, thus a sense of enjoyment. After that it all boils down to taste and what the individual prefers. I do have to point out that I find it intriguing that western music has devolved for the most part aside from jazz, blues, and a few forms of rock and roll and heavy metal music. Most modern music is pretty insipid and lacking. 

16. Observe how music effects the mood 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lG06m_NDbM