Why Does Anyone Give A Fuck?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by GreenMagic469, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Have you ever asked yourself something?

Why do you give a fuck?

In other words, have you ever just wondered why you care about anything whatsoever? I mean, think about it, we spend our lives in pain and toil, working towards some goal, only to end up dying and making that goal poinless to begin with. We have this conception that somehow, if we meet our goal, we get to sit back in heaven and reflect on how great we were. Is that really what we think?

Why do we bother getting angry, when anger only hurts and doesn't last? Why do we become sad when all sadness is eventually going to end? Why do we get jealous when we don't even like someone? Why do we buy things that we won't even think about again? Why do we waste our money, waste our time, and waste our lives, simply trying to "live" the way that people have always "lived"?

I mean, think about it. You're born into a world, and a life where you go to school, get a job, get married and die, that's considered normal. Except, have you ever paused to think why you're actually doing any of it? I mean seriously, why? Why is it "normal" to have institutions that tell you what to do? Why is normal to feel like you're obligated to satisfy other people? Why is it normal to become depressed when you don't live up to their expectations? Why is it normal to become sad because someone hurt you? Why do we care, at all?

Sure, you can write it off as evolution. "Caring, cooperation, team-work, listening to authority, it's all just evolution making it easier for us to compete and survive as a race!". That explains it, right? But that only explains the leaves of the tree, not the seed from whince the problems came. We exist now as more than animals, more than just products of evolution. We are concious, sentient creatures, yet we continue to leave others tell us what to do, what to feel, what to think, what to eat, what to buy, what to wear, and who to be. We may not even recognize it, we may say "I don't let people lead me in any direction!", yet at the end of the day, you'll still purchase the one shirt at the store that's 5 dollars more than another, because it looks better and you don't want to be considered "dissatisfactory" by other people.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is, maybe we should all just.... Not give so much of a fuck. The next time some guy flips you off, the next time somebody pushes you, the next time somebody dicks you over at work... Just step back, and realize, we're all going to die one day. We don't know where we're going, it could be the greatest place ever, or nowhere at all, but we have this one world, so why don't we just stop giving so much of a fuck, and maybe we wouldn't need to in the first place.

2. #2 Kimono, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    Thats a pretty good question. The conclusion that I came to for myself is that people want to experience a meaningful existence. They see no other way of doing this other than through societal norms that have established in life as they know it. They are yearning for life to mean something, and they feel that they can attain meaning in their lives on the level of doing, that is why they strive to get married (out of a kind of pseudo necessity that is) , please others, fit in etc. For others it comes in the form of getting material possessions and "making it in life" this can be at times a way to get a sense of importance. A lot of it is propelled by the ego.

The emotions that come with this way of living are usually there to express frustration in not being able to achieve meaning, or having it elude them in someway. It is also a survival mechanism for the ego, it thrives on such feelings as they give it an identity, a sense of importance, albeit a short lived one( the ego doesn't really care if attaches itself to positive or negative feelings). I believe all the things that people do shouldn't be seen as ways of attaining meaning in life, but rather as a way of expressing life's inherent meaning. The most meaningful thing in my mind is the realization of being. The simple realization that you exist is all the meaning you really need. Life is a blank canvass that is already, in itself and of itself, meaningful. How we choose to express this meaning can come in many forms. Whether is be through showing love to another person, making beautiful music, expressing it through a love of your profession, expressing it through a love for design (clothing, architecture, art etc.). It is meaning that you do not seek in the societal and institutional norms but rather a meaning that naturally emanates from within yourself.

There are many things for example that I do, for the pure joy of it and nothing else. Listen I listen to music, I enjoy looking at works of art, reading fiction, poetry, dancing etc. I do not have to do any of these things to survive, yet I do them anyways because I believe they are expressions of a celebration of life itself. I give a fuck about them in a healthy way. As opposed to giving a fuck in the unhealthy way, thinking that you have to do things for there to be meaning in life and that not doing them means that you have failed in someway and then as result of that feeling angry, envious, frustrated etc. In that case there is nothing quite as liberating as not giving a fuck. I hope that makes sense.

3. I've always thought of this but never actually knew how to put it into words.

4. Your idea is too broad. Needs narrowing. People need to give a fuck about personal hygiene, yes. Politics? No. Controlling yourself in public? YES GOD PLEASE YES.

It also has to do with upbringing. If youre raised by a drunk hick loser, you wont give a fuck. But people need to give a fuck. Its what makes you having an ego worth it.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. And ive always felt that we as humans were Cursed with emotions. Ill take my opposable thumbs but u can keep the emotions...makers of war and dumb shit since the dawn of time. We dont NEED emotions, theyre just like chronic pain. Know one knows why its here. Although some people would want you to believe they enjoy their emotions. These are the overmedicated housewives we all hate.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. care because YOLO.

not apathy because yolo.

People should refine which things they care about, and eliminate all the unnecessary stuff.

In my experience, i've found that dropping the irrelevant stuff tends to provoke assumptions of apathy, or get me called an asshole or whatever... but only by people who haven't yet figured out that too much of what most people care about, is artificial and arbitrary, and an utter waste of energy.

Care about what's worth caring about; disregard the rest.

7. This. It's really how your raised by your parents.  By the time you mature you have been so conditioned to follow social norms that you don't even give it a second thought.  

Fear is also another factor in it.

8. I like giving a fuck sometimes, makes me feel human. Sometimes I just don't give a fucker either and I'm cool with that too. Ying and yang dude, we need both.

9. #10 bizzy93, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    I have a beautiful idea hahaha

10. I was contemplating this same question a few days ago but took it in a little different direction... So why do we give a fuck? What is the purpose? That's the biggest question of all that every group of people and religions throughout history have tried to answer. Maybe we have to follow the Christian set of rules. Maybe the Islamic. Maybe the Jewish. Maybe the Hindu. Maybe the Egyptian. Maybe it is to be successful and and accumulate lots of wealth. Maybe it is to make a difference in the world. But what if just maybe, this all just has absolutely no point at all? But if there is no point then its pointless right? Well maybe not. Just look at the world that YOU are a part of. Just look at the beauty of the waterfalls, and the majesty of the hills, and the breathtakingness of the ocean. Look at what our species has accomplished! Look at the cities and skyscrapers. Look at the complexity of the combustion engine or a computer. This world we live in is the most fucking mind blowing thing in the world!!! Lol no pun intended:p and it wouldn't be the same without you. You are a part of that! What if the purpose of all of this is to be content with just knowing that we are a part of something so big? What if the purpose is to not give a fuck and just be happy with that?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

11. #12 ezak420, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    many people suffer from draconian circumstances imposed on them.

12. This is exactly what i was thinking about a few days ago

Sent from my LG-D160 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #14 lazytoker, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    someone gave a fuck?

[​IMG]

(Btw I do give fucks... $100 an hour)

14. Not giving a fuck is for the dead.

15. Why is there even a feeling of love that exists for us to feel/receive in the first place?  ...or any other feeling for that matter?  ever think of that?  Why not something else? 

16. Because you can reduce pain and suffering and toil or whatever else you said is bad about life by working to meet a goal. Like getting a job and owning your own home.

17. We'd be useless if we didn't give a fuck...This species would've killed itself long ago...It's trying to everyday damn day anyway.

Love is all that holds it together.

If you say you're 'free' if you just don't give a shit about anything...you're dead inside.

*obligatory IMO  - _ -

18. I am guilty of getting worked up over stupid stuff and sit asking myself why do I give a fuck? I really shouldn't.

There's certain things you should give a fuck about though. Everyone is different, just do what makes you happy.

19. Delusion.

We create a concept to give a purpose to our otherwise meaningless existance. Our biological function seems to be to breed, kill, and defecate, the same as most other organisms, both large and small.

Humanity got bored, hence everything else. Either that or the first killer fucked it up. Lots of logical answers if you follow the rabbit hole deep enough.