Fritted Disc Vs. Honeycomb Disc

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Algore, Jul 29, 2014.

1. I had gotten a new honeycomb bong a while ago, and was loving it. Then I find out about these fritted disc percs that stack bubbles like crazy. Anyone have a preference or just know which perc is more efficient? I'm also confused as to the drag, I mean you'd think that a ton of glass fragments melted together would create a lot of drag compared to a honeycomb disc.

Is one better than the other to you guys? What do you think

2. Fritted discs stack because more holes fire vs. A honeycomb. Most* honeycomb designed bongs cannot/do not fire over 70% of the holes while taking a toke

3. I've always found honeycomb percs on a bong to have a huge chug

4. Fritted disc have some serious resistance, but only at first. Let me just say this, it's a little different. Personally I wasn't a fan. You can really feel the piece trying to fire and when it does, it stacks hardcore...

If you plan to buy a DG, which are not cheap by any means $350ish, hit one before purchasing. If it's just some china fritted disc, just go for it. They do get dirty fairly quickly so get an ashcatcher/carbon filter/etc to keep the disc from getting clogged. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Yeah I'm not really a fan of the fritted discs. They do stack bubbles like crazy, but they get clogged really fuckin fast and they pretty much do the same as a honeycomb.

6. Yeah I'm not as concerned with it getting dirty, I have a good supply of iso and salt to clean it often.

7. Go for it! Either way you won't be disappointed :]

8. Thanks for the advice, think I'll look around for a DG and try my best to barter for it haha. Expensive price but I think it'll be worth it, might just get a fritted disc bowl piece while I'm at it.

9. take a look at daves page, if you are planning to buy one, there are some useful tips for smoking with his discs. unfortunately his site is a little bit.. .. disorganized at the moment, I believe its in the process of being updated.

10. They have "seconds" on DG site. It lists exactly what the blemish is. Ranging from wonky mouthpieces, bad label placement, crooked joints, etc. just gotta make sure to read the description...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 NGP, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014

You don't clean a DG with iso and salt..... cleaning instructions direct from Dave can be found on their webpage, and there is a lot of information about why NOT to use iso on the scientific apparatus

12. Also, ALT has a lot of new DG's listed as of this week, between $340 and $420. Lots with colored discs....

13. Really?? That is such a cool thing for a glass blower to do for customers, I'll have to look into that and see what I can find.

14. #14 NGP, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014

Awesome, while you're on the DG site checkout their FAQ about properly cleaning a DG Rooster Apparatus, and why not to use iso on the apparatus, instead, dishwashing soap:

http://roosterapparatus.com/cleaning-process/

The concentrate models are at the top of that page which indicate to clean with ISO or Acetone, you want to go down to the "Convertibles" section, which covers the bongs being discussed in this thread:

CONVERTIBLES
    Cleaning the convertible is simple as long as you use the pre-filter disc. The pre-filter disc needs frequent solvent cleaning, so we supply extra discs with every convertible. Cleaning the pre-filter disc before it clogs makes for easier cleaning. We will be releasing the new, improved, easier-to-clean pre-filters around the first week of March.
    Otherwise, the convertibles are designed to clean easily with Dishwashing detergent (it leaves no residue), hot water, and a pair of bottle brushes, one large, one small. You may need to bend a 45 degree angle in the end of the small brush to clean the inside of the joint.

More about the dishsoap cleaning method for DG's:

• Hot Water & Dish Soap:  Put a medium-sized pot of water on the stove to boil**.  While the water heats begin by running hot tap water through the Rooster from the neck down into the base, dumping periodically out the neck.  When the water has come to a boil add several drops of dish soap into the neck of the piece and allow it to coat the disc and interior glass.  After this is accomplished begin slowly pouring the hot water into the neck of the Rooster.  Each time the Rooster's main chamber fills with hot water CAREFULLY, using gloves or a towel so you are not burned by the water or hot glass, dump the water out.  Continue this process until the soap has completely left the piece along with any remaining oils.  DO NOT use the Rooster immediately after this, allow it to cool to room temperature (65-75 degrees Fahrenheit) before filling with water or it may shatter the disc or crack the glass.

* edit - I only refer to these as "bongs" for the sake of this thread. Otherwise, I'd never call a DG Rooster a "bong" because it isn't. It's a scientific apparatus :D

15. Highly recommend the fritted disk. My favorite piece so far, I'd say if you want two disks go for the honeycomb but for one spring for the frit :bongin:  

16. Yeah I already own a nice bong with two honeycomb discs, thought it was one of the nicest pieces around until I discovered what fritted discs were. I'm going to have to save up for one.