Unfortunate Mishap With Seeds... What To Do..?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by VeritableHypocrisy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. #1 VeritableHypocrisy, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    Okay, so here is my issue. I've identified a problem with my seed stock, only after trying time and again to see if I could get any germination success. The first ten seeds did not germinate after a week. The next ten did not. The third ten did not. Eventually after about 3 weeks, I ended up with 5 very, very week seedlings.. All of which are indica, when most of my seeds were off of sativas... Which happened to be what I was hoping to sprout.

So.. I've identified my issue. For some reason, when my girlfriend decided to store my seeds in the freezer, she forgot to clean out the container. Each seed set from each bag of grass I've had was individually bagged.. Well, what was in the container I have no idea. It smelled like the juice of rotted fishing bait. It got into the baggies of seeds and seems to have frozen inside the bags, causing what I would consider to be major cellular damage. Even after the seedlings were alive for a month, they still seem very weak. The last ones were rather lively, within a week having their true leaves and being ready to place in my soil mix. These ones are still so straggly, I was wondering..

Would I be best off to just put the poor things out of their misery, then go and buy some more grass and start from square 1? The leaves are all malformed, and it's not due to PH. None of the true leaves are developing properly, the seeds were all so weak when they started that I had to force the seed shell off, so that they could actually survive at all.

2. lol do whatever you want, hell they may take off if they ever get fully rooted...

3. A good point. I am just kind of scared that they may never be healthy. The temps and all are fine, everything's in a controlled environment and pest-free, I just.. Wish they'd be happy. ;_;

4. Keep growing and learn from your mistakes on this grow. You will make more. Then buy some good genetics and you will be ready to grow successfully.

Also - keep GF away from all live marijuana.

5. While most people would keep all others away from this, it's her house. It's only respectful to be open about it with her, especially when she's the one that fronted the money so I could build what I built to do this to keep from being overwhelmed by severe psychological problems. She wants me to do this because it's medicine, and this is the only way I can afford to be medicated.

I've done several successful runs, but I am unsure where to go from here. I am thinking keep a male and a female and just make more seeds, to be honest... If they can get that old. If they'll start growing, I can nurture them from there, being an experienced gardener.

6. Why did you put them in the freezer? Sealed dry bags is extremely important. I thoroughly dry my seeds then seal them up in 50s in bags with silica gel. Then all the bags are put in an airtight container and kept in my refrigerator. I have 10 year old seeds in there that germinate perfectly. Freezing them is asking for trouble even if they are properly dried.

I would chalk it up to experience and buy more seeds and have another crack at it. Seeds are dirt cheap anyway so try not to get too down about it 

7. My girlfriend did. Not sure why. I had them stored in a cool, dry, dark area. Pretty much I had them sealed in sets, inside of a stash jar, that was in the closet. 

Seeds are cheap, maybe for others. I cannot afford them. I trade like.. Collard plants and the likes, for smoke. Whatever seeds show up in it, I keep. Once I can afford it, I already know what site, what strain, and what price I'm going to get. These were more or less supposed to be my continuous test run until that time so that I had medicine and would be able to medicate during my episodes. 

So far I've been fairly satisfied with the results of this method, too. 

IMG_20140418_185342.jpg

8. #8 CanadianOrganic, Jul 29, 2014
    If you can't afford 30-50$ seeds how do you expect to afford nutes, medium, lights, ventilation, fans, etc.?

9. If you had read the above conversations thoroughly, you would see that my girlfriend supplied much of the money. I managed to match the amount she supplied after a few veggie plant sales, which resulted in a pair of cabinets ( Free, we already had them. ) with dual exhaust fans in each one ( PC fans I already had paired onto 12v adapters. ), carbon filters from old aquarium stuff we had laying around. All we had to pay for was the 300 watts of CFLs and the paint. Nutes are 100% taken care of. I have rabbits and chickens, so I use their manures. Purchased 2 bags of Pro Mix for like $20 each for starting our annual veggie seeds for spring gardening rush. Didn't need it all, so combined it with worm casings. One compost tea later it was ready to use, after a period of cooking. 

10. Lol. Alright then. Have fun.

11. Do not put the seed in the refrigorator. Germinate them right way while they are still fresh. Seeds are the exact reason I use clones. I get the same result as well. In todays MMJ, there are no seeds. They sell for roughly $10 a pop in dispensaries or seed banks. I have much more sucess with clones.

12. #12 VeritableHypocrisy, Jul 29, 2014
    I was going to run clones, but our puppy broke in and tore them all to shreds, lol. I walked in and almost had a stroke. The reason I use seeds is because in this area, it's cheaper to just get a hold of some brick weed for $10 worth of plants for an eighth, grab 10-20 seeds out of it, then put them to use. I don't need anything horribly potent or brand-name, but Durban Poison would still be a lovely thing to have. So I just grow out of bag-seed. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, by the way, guys.

13. #13 GoldGrower, Jul 29, 2014
    When you have over 1000 seeds from a crop and want them to last longer than a few years refrigerating them is necessary. Germinating them all straight away loses the purpose of me making the seeds in the first place

I can buy a seed for £4.50 from attitude seeds and have any size order delivered for £4.50 and there will be a free seed thrown in too. 

14. Oh, believe you me. I will definitely be purchasing some Dutch Passion Durban Poison at a later date. In fact, it will probably be around Christmas time, because by then I'll have a final count of my profits from selling Fall cucumbers, collards, and cold-tolerant vegetable plants. I have to wait until then, though. Farmers don't get checks twice a month. We get paid when our crops are sold. I get paid between last frost of the year, until a week after Easter Sunday, then I get paid September, October, and November for fall crops. These seeds were supposed to last me from the time I built the boxes until such a time as I had decent genetics with which to work.