Ordering My First Vape Friday... Firewood Or Flowermate

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Rollincoal420, Jul 28, 2014.

1. I've narrowed it down to these 2 in my price range. My biggest concerns are, in this order, potency of hit, ease of use, and conservation of bud.

What's everyone's preference? I don't want to over cook anything with the manual control of the FW since this will b my first, which I can learn the technic pretty quick I think. But also if im not drawing on the FM, then it would b cooking extra too. They both look close enough to a box Vape these ecig users use so stealth seems to be about the same from my perspective. Most of my sessions are for a handful of hits then move and grab another handful of hits when I get the next chance. I like the FW can come with xtra capsules for pre loading when on the go.

I'm on the fence.... someone push me off on one side or the other

2. #2 foppinanrockin, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    I have the Firewood and I love it. It was my first vape as well, so it took about 4 uses to get the technique down. At first I was disappointed by the potency of the hits (I wasn't seeing much vapor) but once the high set in that concern quickly disappeared. Now I have the technique so fine-tuned that I can choose to take small stealthy hits or blow huge clouds (especially when connected to my mini water bong :smoking: ), and always get stoned. Just follow the instructions of the video on the Firewood site and have a bit of patience, then adapt to your usage style. Now that I have the proper technique for my needs I find it pretty easy to teach friends how to use it potently in one session (main concern is making sure in draw in very slowly). 
    As far as burning the bud goes, I pushed the capsule screen about 1/8 of an inch up as everyone recommends to and have never had a combustion problem (even though it is my first vape). I do notice when it gets hot enough though it does start to taste as if it's going to combust. It will get you pretty high off of the handful of hits you are describing, then if you let it set for a few minutes you just need to preheat for about 25 seconds again.
    I just put the whole unit in my hand and it hides it decently well. Some people put Underdog stems in theirs which makes it more like a dugout, and extremely easy to load (mine's in the mail!). In my opinion, hiding it in your hand and then using a long stem makes it seem kind of more stealthy, too. But remember, no matter the type of vaporizer, with dry herb there will be some smell, especially dependent upon the type of weed you have. My roommates say that the vapor from my firewood just smells like pine more so than dank.
    For conservation, it can't be beat. I can stretch an 1/8th of weed for weeks (I toke about once every other day). But I've also had daily tokers get pretty high off of one capsule filled only halfway with this thing. 
    And what is also great about this vape is since it's handmade from a small business owner, he will work with you if there is ever an issue. 
    I cannot attest for the FM as I've never used it, but as a Firewood owner I recommend the FW 100% for what you are describing.

3. Second vote for the FW it has a learning curve, but is more reputable and well made by a small company. The FM only has one temp setting that for some is not hot enough, and for others does the job. FW for long term use and the FM for a short term backup vape. Ren will stop in soon for another FW plug.

LOL and here I am!

Ok, let me make it clear up front that I have zero experience with the Flowermate, but from what I've heard its sorta "Pax style" where it kicks on and constantly cooks your herb. I'll look it up in a minute, but from what I've read of it, it sounds like a conduction/constant cooker. I'm not a fan of vapes of that style, for the simple reason that they're ALWAYS cooking your herb; during heat up and cool down. 

As far as your choices go, I'm obviously going to recommend the Firewood. Not only because I'm friends with the guy who made it and really want to give his company a hand by showcasing the vape here at GC, but because I genuinely love the vape. Over the last few months I've really mastered how to use it and its my daily driver.

If you want to know my viewpoint on this vape, check out my review and blog post regarding the Firewood. I cross compare the Firewood with an MFLB, my other vape. I use the MFLB mainly when I travel now and go out and about; can't beat its stealth factor. However, the Firewood's convection heating, excellent flavor, all glass vapor path (minus the screen), manual control, and efficiency are what drove me to this vape. Efficiency being the biggest factor. Read over what I posted and you'll see why I like it. 

I do have a conduction always-on vape that sits on my shelf and waits for me to have people over (which isn't very often). I initially used that, but its efficiency sucks. I don't want to rig it with a pipe screen to get efficiency out of it either; I should have to do that with my vape. That vape is the Pax. While it has some positives, its negative in all my priorities. It was also my second vape and an impulse buy; so the thing is a symbol of the learning experience it provided me. 

It was the guys here at GC that turned me to manual control vapes. In 2 days I switched back over to my MFLB (which was my first vape.. switched to a Pax 24 hours after owning the MFLB), and a week with that saved me a ton of cash to my hook up.

The learning curve with the Firewood isn't bad at all. You'll get it in probably a capsule or 2, and if you're paranoid about combusting, you'll always ere with caution while using the vape until you're comfortable. I do own 6 capsules, but thats because I grabbed a cherry wood Firewood and got some extra capsules with it. 

Using the Firewood exclusively, 1/8 lasts me almost 2 weeks and I vape every night, usually about 2 capsules. But my vote is for the Firewood. You won't regret using manual controls as your first vape; it will make you a more conscious vaporer imo. If its any testament to loving manual control vapes, I just bought The Hammer, a butane manual control vape, thats super efficient, produces a nice cloud, and has a great flavor as well. That being said, the only vape I would want cooking my herb all the time would be one of those nice and efficient UnderDog log vapes. I have yet to own one of those. 

Anyway, sorry about the novel, but sounds like you needed a solid opinion so there ya go! 

My apologies if I said anything was "The Best hands down". I know where are vapes that are better than the Firewood depending on personal needs. 

5. Thanks for the insight. I was hoping there would be someone that had something good to say about the FM in this given situation, but I guess it's pretty clear.

6. The flowermate is a solid vaporizer if you are fine with it being a China vape and if you are fine with low temp vaping. Personally I vape on high temps so it made the flowermate I got basically a paper weight. It still baffles my mind that a company would make a one temp vaporizer.

7. Yeah, I don't know much about the different temps of vaping or what works for me. I'm ok w the China thing if it's made right (which I've notice the Atmos stuff doesn't seem to be. Even the Atmos Liv looks like the chamber is no different from the ego pen) and I would rather keep my money in the US. But for the price of the FW I could get 2 FM. (cherry FW is where I'm at)

I think the FM is simply gonna have to wait till next time

So you're going with the cherry FW?

9. #9 Rollincoal420, Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah. I think that's my plan. Probably pick up a couple extra capsules too while I got them online. Lol.

Am I over looking something or do u have a better suggestion?

I won't only own 1 vape, but I plan on only owning 1 fw so let's make it right the first time.

Also, I'm trying to pick up a used flashvape Friday as well simply because it seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

For a first vape, just roll with the Firewood. There are a few on here that bought it as their first vape and a very satisfied. The only other suggestion that I can make personally would be the Magic Flight Launch Box, but that is also a manual vape and you have to deal with its batteries. I don't mind, but I know other users aren't too into that. 

The Firewood will make a nice first vape; its easy to learn and use, and gives you great performance. Unless you've got Vape Acquisition Syndrome like me, you won't be looking back when you buy it. That being said, even though I do have VAS pretty bad at times, the combo of the Firewood and MFLB have really helped quell it. I picked up the Hammer because it was at a great price, but I really didn't NEED to buy it. 

You're not over looking anything, you'll be more than satisfied with the Firewood imo.

11. #11 Rollincoal420, Jul 29, 2014
    Good deal. The LB was where I was I was at till I found the FIREWOOD. The batteries and manual vape don't bother me one bit, my biggest concerns was effectiveness and stealth. With all the ecig craze, I wanted something that resembles any of the ecig variations. If it looks like everything else, that everyone else is evaping, no one will look twice at me getting high. I even got myself a mechanical mod to modify an atty to vape dry herb. Works great but still in R&D. This process of switching to a vaporizer has been an on going for about 4 months, and I'm just now ready to take the next step and actually buy 1. Lol

Wow lol.. The switch was fairly simple for me. I bought a vape, tried it, and been vaping ever since :)

13. Well it started by trying an ego pen and being disappointed but being that I wanted something indistinguishable from something ecig related that I spent some time trying a diy project outta this theory I had. Hit a speed bump, so I'm taking a vape break. Lol

14. The only ecig style vape that functions with dry herb is the t vape, and from what I've read does quite well. Other than that vapes with a stealthy form factor include mflb, pax, Indica, and the pinnacle pro. There is also the titan 2 as well as the flowermate, but I know little of the construction of those vapes so I would definitely recommend research on the internals before purchasing one. I know I'm missing some other stealthy form factor vapes, but these are some to keep you busy for a bit B)

15. I love my Flowermate.Battery lasts forever and I always get consistently good hits.With the set temp there is no chance of combustion.

16. Anyone know of any discount codes for forum members out anything?