Mixed Light Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Gipguq, Jul 28, 2014.

1. #1 Gipguq, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
    Hello 

First time posting! But, I have been reading the GC forums for a number of years. Learning and enjoying all the threads. I was an active member on another site and the community helped me immensely. But the community (planetskunk lol) just ain't what she use to be.

Now I recently became aware of these new high wattage LED lights called, Chip-On-Board(cob) led. So I found a nice one, on ebay, back in February and 2 weeks later(and a bit of duty charges) I received the light. It was the size of a large hard cover book and weighed the same. I changed out my 250w HPS, for the 200w cob led and was instantly impressed. The led lights, suntan effect I felt standing in font of my meager 2x3 ft grow box was insane. Needless to say, I ordered a second one that day from the same Chinese supplier. Since these lights are recommended for a 3x3(2.5ft actually) ft area I also ordered a 4x4 ft grow tent. Doubling my grow area :metal: .

So all 3 lights are recommended roughly a 3x3 ft area. I have it set up with my old  250w HPS in the middle, and the 2 200w COB LED's on either side. There are also 8 CFL's of varying wattage in the corners. Inside there new 4x4 foot home and as always a SCRoG. Sorry forgot the other important details lol. Currently I'm growing 4 plants, in 5 gallon cloth bags with a 1/3 mix of Soil/Vermiculite/Perilite. And some Coco husks on top for good measure. It has been 10ish years since I have used soil, I usually grow 1 to 3 plants with DWC.  

In the pots, on week 8 since flowering started late, are  2 Big Bomb(Bombseeds) and 2 Coffee Gold(Seeds of Africa). I really want to see how these, $3.50ish per seed, from Seeds of Africa taste like. They are suppose to be a Landrace/Heirloom Sativa. Other reviews, on SoA's other pure strains, have my hopes up.

Finally my question. I have been finding it hard to find threads on other grows that use more than 2 types of light. Is it because the results were minimal or what? I kind of liked my old set up. It was small and dependable, once dialed in.I use to get a small, but decent harvest. When you type the search for "mixed light grow", or any other phrase, or similar word you just get the basics. So if anyone can let me know if there are any helpful links I will post pictures of the grow.......

Thanks let me know your thoughts.

Edit: note to self "no smoking, heavily, before posting". lol englimish doan look to well sorry.

2. Hey I am also new to the forums, but you caught my interest. I would love to see your grow and how the lights are working out for you. 

3. #3 Gipguq, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
    Well this might help to get some traffic.

1st pic is the Coffee Gold, 2nd is the Big Bomb and last is the lights.  
    IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0306.JPG

Sorry for the mess lol. Love how easy it is to control the heat of my 250w added with the nominal heat from the COB's easy to add a few CFL's. I will probably move a majority, of the lights, to the right to focus on the Coffee(looks like it could use it).

4. Damn went to take some newer pictures and my one COB lights was burnt out. Emailed the manufacturer, since it comes with a 3 year warranty. Hopefully they can send me the parts to fix it, or a new one. That might explain the long growth on the right side and the tight growth of the big bomb on the left.
    IMG_03071.JPG

Hell it might even just be the strain, since it is my first grow with this strain and can find not journals on it anywhere. idk but they have had perfect lighting since the screen was laid down. This pic was taken 1 hour ago and has Big Bomb on the left and Coffee Gold on the right. Coffee has a flower of 14 weeks. Just a note I want to grow out my Big bomb, to get more of a CBN kick out of it, since it is a 8- 10 week strain. This all should work out fine. Gip

5. I also came across some "waterproof" SMD LED lights and since they claimed to add 700-1150 lumens per string. I was thinking of using them for the screen in the SCRoG. But after running a set for a few days, the heat off them was just to risky to add inside the canopy. Wonder if it would be worth it to add a second fan and use the SMD 5050 string lights? Even below the screen a couple-few inches?