Trying Out Cfls For The First Time

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JohnDro, Jul 28, 2014.

1. I need some tips guys. This is my first time CFL grow ever and my first actual grow in a few years.

I've got a 2ft deep x 4ft wide x 3ft tall grow space. I'm only using about half of that space now though because of limited lighting. I'm using the organic Miracle Grow stuff mixed with some other kind of cheap self fertilized soil from walmart as a medium.

And at the moment I have a 65watt 2700k along with four 23watt 2700k's for lighting. I plan to add at least four more cool white 23watts this week. I'm wondering right off hand how much lighting it'll take to fill this grow space.

The plants are from bag seeds. Which I started up in the window back in May. The stretching got ridiculous and after reading so many threads on here I decided last week it would be most suitable for me to do a CFL closet grow.

I have them on a 16/8 light schedule to compensate for the 15/9 they were getting in the window. I'd like to get them up to 18 hours under the light but I'm kinda growing tired of vegging these things and ready to move on to a better more controlled grow.

I LST'ed the crap out of everything to make it fit in the grow space. They were growing well over a foot tall with little foliage. I'm hoping to get some sprouts going on some of the nodes before I flower. I'm noticing some serious redness on the branches which I'm assuming is from all the stress I've put em through this week.

I haven't given them any kind of nutrients thus far. I was worried they haven't used up everything in the soil. I was hoping to keep the grow as organic as possible. But budget comes first.

I'm thinking I'll veg another week or two and then start flowering and sexing.

There are a total of nine plants and seven seedlings under the lights. And I left one in the window just to compare growth. I know that is normally far too many but these things are sticks and I was just barely able to fit everything under the lights.

Im open to any and all tips, advice, and constructive criticism. I've got tons of pix to post. I'm keeping this a very budgeted grow. which I happened to only start up for kicks to begin with.

I'm about to screw it and seed bomb everywhere I go.

Attached Files:

2. I have been using cfls in my grow and am using 400 watts.  If interested in my lights can give you link but the are cfls 400 watts both light strangths 2700 and 6500 but have had good luck with them!  Here is my latest baby and she is moby dick and have grown her inside under 4 cfl lights of 400 watts! So good luck with your grow!!!

Attached Files:

3. Haha. I love seeing CFL grows. :) I think there more creative and fun to watch.

But I would add a small pc fan in there so they get some ventilation to thicken up the stems.

I noticed Your inner nodes aren't growing as much.
    I would top them to induce lower branches to grow more, but who knows what will happen with the new LST and CFL lighting.

Keep it going. :)

4. #4 JohnDro, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
    Lovely grow @missbaracuta. Yeah I'd like to check the link out. Are those 400 actual watts of CFL light you're using?

@[member="GoolashFilms"]

For circulation what I actually do is keep the sliding doors to the grow space open a few inches on each side if the closet. I have a box fan blowing in one door during lighting and out the other door.

I tried FIM'ing the plants a few weeks ago with little luck with branching. So now I'm giving LST a try. I'm just really concerned about the redness of branches

I'm about to say screw it and seed bomb everywhere I go.

5. Probably wffects of starting slow, I'm sure they will come back. :)

One question..... Why not seed bomb? :metal:  :ey:  :bolt:  :hide:  :yay:  :metal:

6. Lol a friend and I are always joking about seed bombing various places around town.

7. If You plan to, be safe!
    Also keep us updated on Your grow!

8. I think it'll be more ideal to save my seeds for indoor grows right now. I have more fun with them

9. Ahh yes true. Try spraying colloidal silver on plants in 2 weeks of flowering to make seeds. :)
    I'm not sure about the 2nd week of flowering though, that You might have to google.

Making colloidal silver is very easy to make also!

10. Hey I've been reading a lot about using molasses during flowering. I'm told it helps the roots take in nutes better. I went out and bought some and watered with a light solution a couple days ago just to see the result. Can't really say I've noticed a huge difference but it certainly didn't hurt them.

11. I heard it also aids in taste and smell. The theory is the molasses feeds the microbial which feeds the plant, aiding in food and acting as a ferilizer. I heard honey does the same thing.

It was probably just the type of soil used, but I've seen roots get rotted. But then again the soil was not good either, I'm talking about red clay, dirt, rocks, and sandy stuff.

12. On a different note. How long should I lst my plants? I saw a video somewhere that said you should only keep them tied down a few days.

13. #14 JohnDro, Jul 28, 2014
    Do you know how long before I should start seeing considerable growth on my lower nodes from the lst? Right now small sprouts are coming out but it seems like they're taking forever.

14. Honestly I don't think I can give You a time. I know people who had this problem and the nodes still barley grew a inch. The lst may effect the time also, hiniting "stress". I guess just hope for the best haha. What is Your ratio with the molasses?

15. I only added 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 gal of water. I'm using tap which had a ph measurement of about 7 the other day.

16. Okay nice. I seen someone do 2 table spoons for every gallon..... Maybe that's why the roots rotted?

17. #18 JohnDro, Jul 28, 2014
    Yeah I'm trying not to over do anything. That's why I haven't added any nutes yet. I just watered everything two days ago so I'm waiting for them to dry out again. Plus my largest plant which is in a gallon pot is looking pretty root bound so it's going to need transplanting within the week. More than anything I'm trying to buy time for all this shock to wear off before I go start doing other stuff to them. I'm hoping the molasses brings good results. I've seen nothing but good things posted about it and a couple grow videos I watched really bragged about it.

18. Hopefully Your plants grow out of being stunted and produce beautiful flowers. :) Keep Us updated. I know I would like to see how this grow turns out. :)

19. I just started using molasses in my first grow. 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. I noticed significant difference just over night. But I examine my plants with a loup everyday.
    Working with a lil over actual 400w of cfl's also

Attached Files: