First Time Grower Here, Need Someone To Evaluate The Health Of My Plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by the_burweedo, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Hello there!

I am a first time grower living in sweden and i simply want someone to take a look at my plants (pictures) and help me evaluate the health of them, see if theres anything that needs to be done etc.

I suppose i should present some background information. The seeds i used was (5) biddy early seeds and one sweet seeds gree poision. They were all feminised. For plantation i used 6 cut off milk cartons (about the volume of solo cups) and filled them up with a high quality,store-bought soil mix and then placed the seeds about 3cm down. I then cut some holes in the bottom of the milk cartons (for drainage) and placed them in a box which i placed on my tin roof. They got intense sun for about 8 hrs a day (probably more) and it was good temperature (25c mid-day average). They´ve been planted for a couple of weeks now.

Now to the "problem". After not watering them for 2 days (my mistake) i started seeing some yellow tipped leaves and other "damages" on the plants. Not all plants got damages tho. I´ll present the pictures below and let you decide what to do: (the plant marked with a red ring is the sweet seeds gree poison plant, all the other ones are biddy early)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks beforehand! :)

Attached Files:

2. Looks possibly like poor draining grow medium. Other than that they look sexy ( for as much as I can see all zoomed in and blurry lol ).

3. they look fine, do not over water and come time to transplant use some good mix.

The soil looks like dirt from the garden and not a real potting mix.

4. #4 the_burweedo, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
    Thanks for your replies. Judging by your responses i think i´ll be fine. The reason that i was worried was because they got yellow tipped (some of them) when i hadn´t watered them for a couple of days when it was really hot. About drainage... One day when i think that i had overwatered them, i saw a big puddle of water under the pots (they´re a bit elevated). I dont know if that´s a good sign about my drainage working or that i had watered too much. 

Im really thankful for your help so far. I just have a few more questions that i would need help answering. I´ll number them underneath.

1. I have seen some mold (small dots) underneath my planting pots (milk cartons). Is this a sign that i have over-watered them?

2. Judging by their current size, when do you think that it´s time to transplant them?

3. As i mentioned, some of the leaves had gotten yellow tipped and very dry (like crispy) and i took off these dry parts. Is this something you should do or should you just leave them be?

Thanks beforehand!

5. #5 noizviolation, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    1 if you can put a couple popsicle sticks under your pots to allow air circulation you shouldnt have mold.

2 most of them look a decent size to transplant whenever you are ready to.

3 if the leaf bugs you remove it ( unless you dont like every leaf lol ) generally I wont remove a leaf unless it is 50% or more dead. Or to remove some that cause too much shade.

Good luck hope this helps even the slightest.

6. Some growers are so easily pleased ....?
    If I were you Id replace that 'dirt' with correct potting mix with 30% perlite added, theres is just so much BAD bacteria in dirt ..and obviously you will soon be rootbound so use this opportunity to get your grow back on track, and avoid toasting your babes roots daily by leaving the paper pots on a tin roof ...is so dumb!
    Time to develop an area to grow indoors with the forthcoming fall...?

7. Thank you, it certainly did! :)

I´ll definately look into getting a better potting mix for when i transplant them into nature. The reason i choose the tin roof was because it was the stealthiest/ most convenient place at the time. I just didn´t realise that it would get so hot.
    Unfortunately, indoors growing isn´t an option. I made calculations beforehand, and the summer/heat lasts long enough in sweden for the biddy earlys to finish outdoors. I have several outdoors planting spots in my mind. I´ll go and check them again before i make up my mind!

Thanks for your responses!  :smoke: