Matches Vs Lighters

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by mystonedmind, Jul 26, 2014.

1. recently i went and got a pack and the dude offered me some matches and even though i had 3 lighters i said sure. anyways he gave me 2 packs of them. that night i smoked a couple grams and lost all 3 lighters. i have been using the matches, i always thought there was some horrible health risk but i havent noticed anything negative or found anything on google. plus theyre more fun, and they preserve the taste if you use them right! the flame isnt so big, so it doesnt boil off some of your chemicals. and if youre smoking out of a hand pipe i bet you could lay the burnt match over the bowl and get a nice melty cherry. mm. 

anyways just thought to check with some other tokers to see if this is a bad idea or a good idea or just whatever 

2. I guess it would be okay as long as you wait for the initial combustion to stop.

Then you'd just be inhaling the smoke from wood burning and, perhaps, the left over sulfur.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 CrispyBacon, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
    forget the matches man, you lost 3 lighters in one night? you're bad luck dude.

4. i found one, i actually dont even know where the 2 i lost come from. pretty much every time i smoke (which is every day) i lose a lighter

5. yeah i wait until the sulfur is burnt off and then use the wood. the flavor is nicer than one would expect. do you think the sulfur would get through the bong water? 

6. My only bic broke, so now i just use my zippo. Matches are terrible for bowls, but for joints there ok. Rather use those then butane. How unhealthy is red phospherous other than something it's used to produce.

7. does it feel more badass lighting a piece of furniture with chemical physics instead of using a machine that bleeds dino juice? it sure does to me, and i approve this message. I'm Gary Busey

bonus points for posting at 4:20

8. #8 ReeferChiefer420, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
    Bro just use hemp wick
    It's the only thing I use, the taste beats butane anyway of the week
    And it's cheaper than matches, a roll that costs me 1.50 and is approximately a yard long lasts me about a week (and I use a lot of it)
    Sometimes I just let it burn too, it smells like an incense but a hemp scented incense BOMB

9. I fully believe that this guy is the real Gary Busey.

10. [​IMG]

11. Matches are worthless if you have access to a lighter. The only thing they're good for is a backup, since they conveniently fit in a wallet and last almost forever. Any small amount of wind will blow a match out, plus the taste is god aweful unless you wait for the flame to burn down to the paper part, which only serves to waste even more time. Again, convenient and a great backup, but if you have a lighter, it's going to be easier to use, healthier, faster, and more reliable.

12. They weren't even discussing which one is more reliable dude. And lighters don't last a 'lifetime.' I used to go through a few lighters a month before I switched to hemp wick. The debate was which is more enjoyable. A lot of people hate lighters for smoking because butane adds a really unpleasant taste compared to hemp wick, matches, vaporizing, etc. And there's no way butane is healthier than a match with all the sulfur burnt off, then you are just inhaling wood vapors if you use the right matches.

13. 1.50 for only a yard??? That's a total shit deal. I ordered a 250 foot roll of quality hemp wick from Humboldt County for $15 online. Order hemp wick online, you'll get a way better deal. And consider using a candle with hemp wicks, so you don't have to use the lighter on them every time.

14. #14 HubbaBubba, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    Just a little bit. I think the water would catch some, but then your water would be sulfur contaminated over time.

Can't be much worse than a lighter.

15. You need to work on your reading comprehension dude, because not only does the thread say Matches VERSUS lighters, I never said lighters last a lifetime. You probably misread what I said, which was that MATCHES last essentially forever, and by that I mean if you don't use them, they take a long time to deteriorate, so they're a good backup. Also, I don't know what world you live in, but butane is not nearly as harmful as the shit they put in the wood fibers of matches. You do realize that matches aren't made of only wood fiber, right? And if we're comparing taste, I'm assuming you've never actually smoked with hemp wick or a match, because if you did, you'd realize that hemp wick (while much healthier) adds a noticeable rough taste, and matches.... Lol, really, butane tastes worse than matches? Okay. Lol.

16. You really think butane is better than hemp wick? That's just silly, you obviously haven't had the right brand. The wick I've always used is tasteless and odorless, and beats lighters by a million miles. Butane adds a very strong flavor, stronger than any additive to hemp wicks you've been tasting. Anyone who knows what they're talking about knows that a wick beats inhaling butane gas fumes, and any vaporizer beats all. The bad taste in some brands of hemp wick seems to come from the beeswax added to it. A lot of people associate the taste of butane with weed, but anyone who has used wick for a while will be able to notice the awful taste butane has. With a wick you get the benefit of actually being able to taste your buds individual vapors without butane involved, it's not that hard to understand that it is much more beneficial, both health wise and taste wise.

You sound like a complete douchebag.

Name-calling and disrespect for other members is not tolerated on Grasscity... - IgnorantFool

18. Nothing wrong with matches. When I was in school, I smoked at night sometimes in my room and used one match to light a candle so I didn't have to repeatedly use a lighter. The lighter noise was super loud and the walls were kinda thin.

19. Use hemp wick and I guarantee you'll never look back. It's the best of the lot.

20. That's when I and EVERYONE on this forum knows you already bring nothing to the forum is when you decide to insult someone without reason. Glad to see we have another prominent member on here that gets angry and insults people when he doesn't get his way, have fun with your logic and great attitude towards others who are simply debating a topic like normal members. Have fun acting like a 5 year old.