Hippie/psychedelic/rock Age Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by LuxSpiritus, Jul 26, 2014.

1. I just want to compile a list of some oldies bands.
    Related to the Counterculture of the 60's-90's.

-Post a band
    -Post a song-
    -Comment on bands and songs
    -Say how much you love this kind've music.

Talk about: Specific bands, Specific members of a band, Specific songs, Lyrics and meaning.

These are my primary music I listen to.

band.PNG

Here's the full list. feel free to add, and discuss.
    The Allman Brothers Band
    America
    The Animals
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    Black Sabbath
    Blind Faith
    Bob Dylan
    Boston
    Buffalo Springfield
    Cream
    Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young
    The Doobie Brothers
    The Doors
    Eagles
    Eric Clapton
    Fleetwood Mac
    Frank Zappa
    Grateful Dead
    Heart
    Janis Joplin
    Jefferson Airplane
    John Lennon
    Led Zeppelin
    Nirvana
    Pink Floyd(My #1)
    Queen
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    REO Speedwagon
    The Rolling Stones
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Steve Miller Band
    Syd Barrett
    The Who
    Yes
    The Zombies

It doesn't have to even be from the age. Just a cool band.

Cmon guys. Let's conversate about some good Music!

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406353929.062131.jpg
    Been really into Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy lately. Some great songwriting and lyrics (all the bands u listed are great)

3. I don't think I could critisize anything be Zeppelin. They have so many different styles for their music. They don't just stick to one area. They have psychedelic touch, steady rock with steller lyrics like stairway to heaven. Protest songs. Unity "Whole lotta love", Paying attention to government and what's going on around you "Dazed and Confused". They're an iconic band.

4. Lux, that list is killer! :hello:
    I remember the song that got me into rock n roll, for what it's worth by Buffalo Springfield.
    The whole song is perfect, from the guitar to the vocals and lyrics. The chorus says it all man, "stop children, what's that sound, everybody look whats goin down"  

5. Cream- Badge
    Blind Faith - Prescence of the Lord (wait for the Solo)

The Allman Bros. Greatful Dead...Zepp of course, Hell I dig every group/artist on your list.
    I'm grateful for all the bands you've listed here, without them, why I have no clue what awful music i'd be listening to by now!

I can abide by this thread, keep it the fuck alive!

P.s. I play guitar, and recently, have been feeling quite uninspired (lack of fresh new music), meaning I have trouble thinking of a song i'd like to play (even though I can name most any classic rock tune within the first 5 seconds). Everyonce in while I find one, but i'm getting tired of playing so many Hendrix/Dead/Zeppelin/Clapton/SRV tunes on a goddamn loop practically. Thus the search for, not new, but good music, specifically of this type, continues.

Swear my brain is half cooked...

6. I've got 3 guitars a gibson les paul, Fender strat, and a Yamaha acoustic. I've got tired of playing the same songs, and I'm trying to come up with my own riffs, as well as some solo's too. Havn't really been working on it much though, I've fallen away from my musical orientation. These are the bands I grew up with.

7. It's supposed to be about Vietnam if i remember too. How they would just raid cities and cause destruction. "There's a man with a gun over there, telling me i've got to beware".

8. I'm in love with this song
    http://youtu.be/PfAWReBmxEs

9. Too busy to share some songs.. Might have to pop back in later but my favs are pink floyd | the doors | led zeppelin and the beatles

10. Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, and The Doors. My three favorite bands/musicians. In my opinion probably the best of their time. Man Jimi is just great. So emotional with his guitar and his words. I've heard "All Along The Watchtower" at least a million times and each time I hear it I'm just more amazed and astounded by his music and skill. I mean the guy was just insane on that guitar. And topped it off with words. It's just crazy. It so sad that he died at such a young age. I think the music industry would be so much different then it is if he was still alive. Zep and The Doors have the same feelings from me. The music they produced was just completely amazing and so complex but simple at the same time. By far my favorite music. I wish I could have lived in that time because I would have loved it so much. Just my opinion though.

11. Jimi had a way of almost singing with his guitar, his music is pure emotion and it's beautiful because you don't hear that often.
    Everytime I hear a song it still amazes me. he was truly a master

12. I didn't care for enough of his songs to say I like him, I did like some of the classic good ones. but not enough to say that i'm a fan.
    Great guitarist One of the most influential in history.

13. #13 ALoOF Mind, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  14. The Doors are my favourite band. The way a jazz drummer, a classically trained pianist, a flamenco guitarist and a lead singer (cum-poet)  with all the confidence and showmanship you could want came together was really something special. Each band member played a crucial and complementary role; wether it was Ray making up for the lack of a bass, John keeping it tight and maintaining tempo even when the performances took the most unpredictable turns, or the creative genius  of Robby and Jim both in song writing and on stage.

I could never pick a favourite song, but here's on of them:

http://youtu.be/JskztPPSJwY

P.S: sorry it's only footage of Jim, sadly many fans tend to overlook the rest of the band

15. Some Frijid Pink
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40INnb6DnY

16. http://youtu.be/47SI1FddVqY

Is this the 13th floor? :hippie:

17. Yeah i feel the same, obviously an immensely talented man. But for me Hendrix's music wears thin after a while, and all his songs are kind of similar. 

18. One of the more unique oldies that blended the genres of so many into one; blues, soul, rock, etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20HmSomEHZ0

19. Pizzanomics by a great big pile of leaves

The most full sounding mellow indie pop band I'd say without a doubt. You can listen to any of there songs anywhere and I feel like it lifts the atmosphere

Also if you love indie look into Dr. Dog any song really!

20. Zappa
    Allman Bros.-saw 'em awhile back
    Neil Young
    Grateful Dead #1