Perpetual Indoor Dwc Leds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JerryInDFW, Jul 25, 2014.

1. #41 JerryInDFW, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    8-8-2014

Took a stab at supercropping the hybrid yesterday, and also did the 4 main bud branches of the Africa this morning. The branches on the hybrid were already beginning to turn up. I don't know how much of an improvement swapping the two back around would accomplish, so they can stay put for the moment.

I'm clearly having size issues with the too long veg period, and probably too long veg photoperiod. I definitely need to get it down to a 30 day veg with 3-4 early LST's/Toppings in there for max buds. Then supercrop the outside branches to get things evened out. I don't have the setup for an actual scrog screen, unless I want to run just one huge effin plant. Nothing has been done to the Aurora Indica yet. I want to see exactly how she grows, since I have more of those beans.

With only one girl visibly in flower, it's going to be some time before I pop anything new, but it will definitely be from the new shipment. I'll get it all dialed in, but atm I'm in a bit of an "Aw shit" mentality, since I had hoped to get the timing and everything down immediately. I suppose that was a little ambitious.

2x4 Tent. L to R F35/BB & Aurora Indica

20140808_092019.jpg

32" tent with Pure Africa

20140808_092459.jpg

:bongin:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

2. #42 Green Knight, Aug 9, 2014
    The Super crop method... Before I deeply research it... What does it do for the plants.. What's the basic idea Jerry?..

Journal Link: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1320174-first-organic-indoorgrow.html

...“You can't shake hands with a clenched fist.” -Gandhi

3. #43 JerryInDFW, Aug 9, 2014
    8-9-2014

I ordered beans from Europe on 8-4, with standard stealth shipping.

I can't complain about the delivery speed! Ordered the beans from @[member="Original"] Sensible Seed Company on 8/4, and they dropped today, 8/9. The only disappointment is that the package with four varieties were all co-mingled in one package and not identified by strain. Hey seedbanks! This practice sucks the big one! It's sort of okay if you're popping the whole pack at once, but if you only do 1-2 at a time, it's kind of pot luck. Moderately annoying, IMO.

@OSSC was pretty generous with the free beans, though! The 16 pack came with 10x Nitro Express beans and 2x Kaliman Cheese #1.

They threw in 4x World of Seeds Northern Lights/ Bug Bud Auto and 2x of the Feminized, 1x Delicious Seeds Cheese Candy Auto (Sounds divine), and 2x Soul Breeders White Widow Auto, which has a label that says "OSSC Exclusive."

So that's 37 beans with decent genetics for right about 80 bucks. And got ‘em in 5 days!   :metal:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

It was jackpot in the mailbox, as the proplyne glycol dropped along with some other bits. So I'm going to spend a little time seeing if I can dial in the mix and get some good vapes going. I also ordered some nicotine flavoring just to see what that's like, but not here yet.  :bongin:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

20140809_154111.jpg

I didn't order nicotine extracts, but it's stupid-cheap to make your own ejuice for you eCigs if that's what you use. If I were a smoker I'd switch to eCigs and make my own juice. They even have kits that cost around the price of a carton of conventional cigs, and you probably get a lot more bang for your buck going that route versus buying cartridges at 7-11.

4. Are you talking about all the different cheese varieties you got? If so how could they mix them together that's pure greeze! They were by different breeders too weren't they? That is very very very fast though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Nope. All by the same breeder. I have two of the Cheese #1 identified as they were bonus, but it's fucking annoying. Assholes. I'll pop the two Cheese #1's next, but it looks as if it'll be a while until I have space. I really need a much shorter veg period for the size of my tents along with earlier LST.

That's the second time I've been burned on a variety pack. No more of those.

Found pistils on the Aurora Indica and pretty sure I'm seeing preflowers on the Africa, so happy enough about that. I just want to get one chopped as soon as possible so I can get something going properly - early as possible LST, and throw into veg ASAP, ideally 4-5 weeks.

6. #46 Green Knight, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    Hey buddy... I'm around the same about have to sex my plants... Is that what you're having to do? How long have you vegged so far? I wonder if I need to wait. I've been using a 30x loop w/ a small flash light. I want to pull the males long befor I finish veg... For obvious reasons & so the rest have more space to grow. I have 9 plants in the big closet... and it seems like they are growing slower than they should.

Sorry to break up your thread bud... If I did.

Journal Link: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1320174-first-organic-indoorgrow.html

... Lifted a Mile High :D

7. #47 JerryInDFW, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014

I think you misread something. I have three plants - two were from feminized seeds and one was from seeds I made, and was only popped as an experiment. The reason my plants have been veging so long was that the last grow of mine held up my starting the cycle properly, so I need one to ripen ASAP so I can get one out of the way. I'm looking to get into no more than a 45 day veg, and ideally 30 days. I don't look for sex wirth a loupe, but just wait for a definite expression, since I'm not experienced enough a grower to spot the early signs yet. You should begin see something in your plants by the end of 2 weeks after the flip. When my hybrid recovers from the supercropping and now that I can see where the flowers will be, I'll be able to lollipop her which will open up the tent a bit.

I have nothing to suggest about your plants lack of growth. If I remember correctly, you're doing orgainc, which has its own unique set of headaches. I don't grow organic, and wouldn't dream of going back to soil after seeing what DWC results are like. The growth rate and vigor took me a bit by surprise, but I'll eventualy sort it out.

You need to talk to Ironhead, who has a lot more experience in soil than I do, and I think is in the process of switching over or thinking about switching over to organic. I really only scan his thread every few months, so unsure.

:bongin:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

8. Oh my bad... Yep I must of misread.... My seeds are non-feminized... So I am relying on sexing them... I know how to tell once I spot the signs... It's just a waiting game. Sorry I haven't follow your thread on DWC.... So many to watch... Anyway, I'll just watch from a safe distance.. Lol.

...“You can't shake hands with a clenched fist.” -Gandhi

9. #49 JerryInDFW, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
    8-12-2014

Just a couple of shots.

Here's the hybrid, and you can see some of the plethora of bud sites started. Shame it was so stretchy. Still very curious as to how this girl is going to turn out. I think I might have bent a couple of branches too far in that supercrop effort, so still waiting to see what damage results before I lollipop her. Fook.

20140812_134600.jpg

Moving along, here's the Aurora Indica, slightly overwhelmed by the hybrid. No topping, no LST, nuthin'. Might supercrop her a bit when she starts budding.

20140812_134608.jpg

I'm in the process of rethinking future plant starts in a perpetual cycle, because I clearly don't have a grip on shit yet. I had been looking at a technique called "Fluxing" which is very much like "Mainlining," but more anal retentive. Only difference is that in fluxing, you have a finite number of big colas growing vertically around the rim of your bucket or whatever.

And here's the Pure Africa after LST and a bit of supercropping the other day. It could comfortably fill the footprint of the 32" tent with no problem. There's about two dozen sites on top where there should be buds. Anyhow with plants this big, it's going to delay the perpetual cycle for a while unless I toss these three, and that ain't happening.

20140812_134428.jpg

The little test batch of <span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">eJuice I made up is pretty effective. I like it about 60/40 to 70/30 PG/VB. A friend is supposed to give me an eCig of my own this weekend, which might be even handier for the movies than the DaVinci. The difference in the amount of vapor between vaping a PG/VG mix versus weed is incredible.</span></span>

:bongin:

10. 8-13-2014

So I watered today, and as the hybrid was very low, I just did a replacement of all the water and nutes for her. There was the expected bits of residue from the hydroton and all that, but it was rinsed out and that's that. I did mostly lollipop the hybrid. Still lots more to go, but I'm letting her settle down after all that trauma today.

I did go in and remove a lot of the big leaves and botom crap from the Aurora, just so I could see WTF is going on in there. I did take some of the bottom rubbish off as well, and lightly bent a few branches to spread them out.

Same deal with the Africa. Watered and did some fan leaf defoliation and cleaned up around the bottom. Did a bit more bending of branches on her as well.

Crappy pics:

20140813_134133.jpg 20140813_140428.jpg 20140813_140441.jpg 20140813_142415.jpg 20140813_142423.jpg 20140813_142832.jpg 20140813_143421.jpg 20140813_145328.jpg

11. #51 JerryInDFW, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    8-15-2014

Yesterday I drove to freaking New Mexico with a few samples of my little harvest, since there were a couple of willing weed-experienced veteran guinea pigs volunteers there rarin' to give ‘em a try, and they had some retail store WW from the mile high place for me to test for comparison.

My victims seem to really like my plants. Unfortunately, they (The plants) were flushed so long that there's little of that kush-style bite in the back of my throat. I suppose this is what made me believe it wasn't up to par. I don't think I got more than a tiny bit higher or much more of a sustained buzz from the joint of imported I smoked. Good, tho'. They even seemed to like the results of my first stab at making eJuice for vapes and eCigs. Personally, I think I could stand a stronger mix for at home, but the current batch is perfect for the movies. They gave me a bunch of eCig stuff they didn't want, and I'm playing around with them as well. I still might need one with the actual big cartridge on there. Still, I'm GTG with the DaVinci oil cans. Besides, an eCig is more passable to have on you since they're becoming mainstream, than a DaVinci or my MFLB. The eJuice I made doesn't smell like pot, and with a flavoring component added, you'd need to smoke or lab test it to see if it's something questionable.

Anyhow, I'm feeling much better about my hobby now, and like to believe I'm on the right track in spite of my goofs. I'm anticipating a decent percentage of product improvement with the current DWC girls, and even better when I finally dial in the perpetual rotation. Also looking forward to getting into a house next year where I can add some automated growing equipment with proper environmental controls. Bet I could pull out some killer shit.

One of these days I'll fly up to Denver for a weekend, check into a motel with outside doors, hit a shop to load up on 8-balls or the smallest sizes of whatever top shelf they sell, and have fun trying samples of a lot of different shit. They even have or had proper bus tours from here and that might be fun, too, with a bunch of people. A little more time consuming, and of course they tell you not to bring anything back, which is what UPS is for.

No pics today. The hybrid is budding up nicely. I'm going to pull her as early as practical, trying for a trippier buzz, and I'll start carb loading her next week. The other two commercial girls are doing fine and looking great.

12. I had the opportunity to sample JerryInDFW's efforts recently. My wife an I travel to Colorado frequently and are used to the effects of the medical grade strains from legal dispensaries.

I must say, I immediately noticed similarities to JerryInDFW's in the precise methods and experimentation to constantly improve upon quality and growth space efficiency. The presentation and look/feel of the buds was very similar to what one can purchase from the RX dispensaries. The only thing different was the RX stuff, usually has crystalline formations on the buds.JerryInDFW's samples did not.

So the look, bud size, properly cured/no water weight, were all very similar in comparison.

What set JerryInDFW's samples apart from the RX products, was the lack of strong marijuana smell of the buds in the containers before grinding, and during the smoking process!!! It had all the taste, but none of the "reeking"!! It was simply amazing!!!

The different F-35 strains he shared were very potent, had a top quality buzz, and provided a long lasting euphoric experience. Great pain reliving properties, mid level intoxication great for daytime use.

The different White Widow strains he shared were very potent, had a top quality buzz, and provided a long lasting euphoric experience. Clear and energetic. Strong head buzz with few body effects. Excellent for daytime use.

The Blackberry was my favorite!!! Purple little buds,  had a top quality buzz with no bad smell when burning/vaping!!! Great cerebral and body combination..long lasting euphoric experience. Laughed and giggled my ass off for hours!!!

As to JerryInDFW's concentrate......WOW!!!!!!! Amazing experience..no smell at all, with long lasting effects. This is something you can use all day long, in public, and nobody knows your smoking right in front of them!!!

JerryInDFW reminded us, he is relatively new to this, and did not consider himself an expert. If that is the case, he is way ahead of the curve already! Follow his posts and this time next year, his stuff will be as good if not better than anything you can find, buy or grow any were in the DFW Metroplex!!!!

Summary: I was very impressed with the quality and effects of his different strains and concentrate, and all exceeded my very high expectations!!!

13. 8-18-2014

My “Perpetual Grow” has clearly gone a pisser. I have three thriving, unbelievably healthy plants with no room for anything else, not even a couple of small starts. This is what's known as a “Mixed Blessing.” I hate the thought of just hacking one down, and there's nobody to give one to. Two of mine were known female seeds, but the hybrid was unplanned, and I shouldn't have even started two feminized seeds at the same time. Fucking idiot.   <_<<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

It's even more of a nuisance when you need a new female in there and you're popping regular seeds. You definitely need to pop multiples. But if you're stuck with a couple of extra females, it's either toss or give away, and most people only want a cut of something spectacular. I suppose this is why so many bigger indoor growers are always taking clones – Better control and known genetics. All you need is room to maintain a mother plant. As if.

20140818_131552.jpg

So the hybrid is totally fucking out of control. At least it seems to have stopped stretching since I did that supercropping on her, and she'll need more. I'm writing these three plants off to my personal growing education, and hopefully I'll have the proper perpetual grow going later this fall. The internode spacing on the hybrid isn‘t horrendous, and judging by the early budding might have some good colas. Not the big ol' donkey dicks of the long-time growers, but decent. Hell, if every bud on that girl came in at 2g dried, it'd be an okay haul.

20140818_131658.jpg 20140818_131646.jpg 20140818_131617.jpg

The Aurora Indica is doing its thing. It's a long time flowering strain, so it's really just getting started. Haven't done much of anything to her except pull a few fan leaves to let some air in there.

20140818_131703.jpg 20140818_131715.jpg

The Pure Africa is rocking! I went in and supercropped her a bit more to try and get all the bud sites more or less level. Fucking plant is using the entire 32” tent, but looks fantastic! I need to get in and thin out some leaves on that plant too.

Before & After:

20140818_132303.jpg 20140818_132658.jpg

14. 8-18-2014 -2

Here's a close up of the buds on the F35/BB cross. Makes me optimistic as hell about her! :hello:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

F35-NBB Cross.JPG

15. i hope mines a girl!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. #56 JerryInDFW, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014

Thanks, Rightstuffer!

It's nice to get an independent review of your budz. Many times when someone grows their own, they get too close and lose objectivity.

The reason there weren't a lot of nice sugary trichs on the buds was simply because I handled them way too much. Probably due to the novelty of having such a decent stash. I'm not going to repeat that mistake. I have a different technique in mind for my next plant harvest.

I feel I'm on the right track in my growing. I'll refine the starting and radical LST procedures to work on my unexpected size issues. Looking at the results to date with the new DWC, I'm happy with the tent and light setup, and doubt I could improve it much with my current equipment. I think any stronger lights would burn up the plants... at least stronger LED's. I'm keeping a close eye out for any of that.

Do stay tuned!

17. #57 JerryInDFW, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    8-20-2014

I was beginning to get uncomfortable dragging my somewhat expensive portable vapes along on out of home activities, so I decided to look into scoring one of those e-things, since my first eJuice effort was decent. I think I'll need to whip up a stronger batch, but I'll try it with what I already have in the new pen before I make up anything stronger. I'm looking for 2-3 hits and I'm GTG.

Anyhow, there are a LOT of options out there - Battery maH, variable or not, type of tank, and so on, like how much do I want to pay for a toy I'll use maybe 2-3 times a month.

So I'm eyeballing the Vision II VV 1600MaH battery, and I think I'd prefer either the GS-H2 tip or the ProTank 2. Haven't quite decided yet. Hell, having trouble deciding on a fucking color. Seems that with looking around the Bay that you could buy all the bits and just make up one the way you like. My biggest requirement besides E-Z to use is no leaks or drips, decent battery, and variable voltage seems like a good idea.

Ended up going with the Vision II VV 1600MaH with the GS-H2 tip for starters. Looking forward to that dropping in a couple of weeks.

S_57.JPG

18. Yo @JerryInDFW.  That looks like a pretty cool vape.  I've got a couple pen vapes now, but I don't know the models and am guessing they're of the cheap variety.  I've not had much luck with them, so you've got me curious.  Will be interested in your thoughts about the Vision II VV 1600MaH.  Are you researching via the web or do you have a store you've been able to do some comparisons in person?

19. #59 JerryInDFW, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014

Mostly online. I don't mind going to a big store to eyeball stuff, but I kind of hate going to a local place and picking over their gear and brains and then ordering from China. I was looking for inexpensive and effective, and this setup seemed about right for what I wanted it for, basically movies and concerts. My other portables just don't have enough battery power for extended usage like that, and you can vape your ass off with a decent pen on one charge. I've seen some vape pens in use, and there's billowing clouds of vapor, so I'm asuming they're useful. My friends who tried my concentrates last week in their pen seemed to like it well enough. I'm fixin to make up a stronger batch of eJuice just to allow fewer hits to get off. It's remarkable easy to crank out a batch, and the supplies required are minimal and dirt cheap, and you can refine your mix to where you like it best..

Researching online, we see there's not much to the actual mechanics of making a vape pen. Battery MaH is a big deal, as well as the tank and atomizer bits which screw into that. You can buy replacements very cheaply online. Not sure of store prices, but I'd expect them to be 200-300% higher than online. Within certain sizes & styles, there's a lot of interchangeability between parts. Mostly, I want one that works and doesn't leak all over the place.

20. @ The flicks for a rare double header! Starring out with"If I Stay," a YA type of film. Just watching it because I'm a fan of Chloe Moretz. Plenty of beautiful leggy girls here In shorts, so that's a bonus.

When that's over, there's "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For." Eva Green nude. What more could you ask for?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Grasscity Forum mobile app