If Taxes Ceased To Exist, Would The Rich Support The Government?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Heroic Dose, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Why not strink the governments spending. Maybe cut back on departments. Get rid of the dea. Give education to the states to handle. Give the states more responsibilities.....just make the government smaller and everything else will blow up

2. #22 Heroic Dose, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014

roads,
    roads. why doest thou forget you roads.
    be it because you are a contemporary of many fancies? be you the path to destiny, or just another intersection?

Please think of the roads. Who would build the roads?! Muh roads!

4. I can't wait for the day that we have so much freedom, all of our roads are private property!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

6. #26 Jingo Dookstain, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014

So I'm having a bit of trouble understanding...

What are they again?

Edit: But seriously, this would be fucking awesome. Could potentially solve a lot of problems, as long as the video game Watch Dogs doesn't come to life. That would be a big uh-oh.

solar motherfucking roadways..

i think it's a great idea.

but also something i can see a government fucking up royally if they were to implement it.. could you imagine how many decades it would take them to finish a project like this?

9. The richest ARE the Government! With 95% of the wealth belonging to 5% of the population, who do you think are going to make the rules? I live in Amerika, and it has the best political and justice system money can buy! Peace!

Definitely dude. Imagine having to demolish nearly 2 centuries worth of roadwork, then replace it all with this new tech! It would take forever man!

But my biggest concern is involving huge amounts of technology (in an era where technology is becoming more and more susceptible to intrusion) with something so universal and life-impacting as roads.

In a perfect world, no one would try and screw around with this innovative new system. But we don't live in a perfect world, and there would indefinitely be people who would, at the very least, try to "hack" into the road network. Imagine all the damage that could cause. I sure don't want to.

11. solar roads + self driving cars + hackers

12. Wrong.

Assumption 1. Governments only source of income is taxes. False

Assumption 2. Theft is the only way to fund a government. False

Assumption 3. Laws must be made by a government and funded bby theft. False.

Assumption 4. Police have to by employed by the government and paid by theft. False.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. There more than likely be some rich people who throw in and help to take care of the country, but they would be over shadowed by other rich people who want to run it for themselves. You'd end up with the government getting hand outs, then other government like organizations rising up as competition.. and the competition would more than likely succeed when pitted against a government that has to rely on good human nature.

= lulz 

15. 1.) You're right, they also make investments via the treasury department with money issued via bonds.....but all financial markets are based on the idea of a risk free alternative (us gov bonds). Without a steady source of income (taxes) how can they pay bond holders? Liquidity would be shit and so would brankruptcy risk.

2.) If you consider tax theft....besides that, how would you suggest it be funded? Out of the goodness of our heart?

3&4.) Who else has authority to enforce laws? A non governmental body with a private police force? Sounds like nazi germany...

Wait.....you think the Nazis were a non-government body? 

17. before the reichstag, yes, the SS was a militant group formed from the german military under hitler's control. Was it sanctioned by the german government? Fuck no...

18. Hitler was elected into power and formed a private military sect after establishing the Italian form of Fascism. So yes it is a government,

19. #39 *ColtClassic*, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    1. Governments without a tax base will not be able to impose a fiat currency (required for tax payments). This will quickly defund the government as they scramble for loans from central banks (further devaluing their fiat).

2. Theft is inherent in the operation of government. Without forcing payment upon citizens, the government must compete within the marketplace, providing services which may not be as specialized or efficient as those offered by private firms (which the government relies upon).

3. Laws are written and enforced by government. Legislative, judicial, and executive powers exist solely within government. Corporations and NGO's may influence legislation, but they still require government powers in order to alter law. State and federal law enforcement is typically funded through taxation (and fines), but can also be funded through individual donors and fund raising events (voluntary funding).

4. Private security forces can exist separate of government (not employed by the government) and can be funded entirely by voluntary means. Some corporations allocate federal subsidies towards hiring private security forces (this would be partial funding by indirect theft). Private individuals/businesses can hire security firms which are still accountable to government oversight/regulation (in some cases governments have little power to restrict or reprimand such forces.)

In other words, fulfilling some of your statements would require a change in the definition of government as it is currently understood.

20. so if dick Cheney decided to gather up a million troops and form a violent political party, that would be government sanctioned?